Menu

Do you think rest helps a common cold?

lovinmyboys

We are moving on Sunday. I have quite a bit to do between now and then and the kids still have tons of end of year activities. However, a lot of it is optional, but Sunday and Monday I need to drive. 

I’m trying to decide if I should take it easy tomorrow and see if that helps, or just push through because I do have lots to do (although the world won’t stop spinning if some of it doesn’t get done). I really don’t want to drive across the country feeling this way, but I don’t know that rest will prevent it. We have movers so even if I do nothing our stuff will all get to the new house.

I haven’t been sick all year and then it hits when we are moving and in June! I made it through winter...ugh! I started feeling bad Sunday night and I still feel the same. Not horrible, but definitely not good. I haven’t been taking it easy, but in theory I could tomorrow and maybe that will help. I assumed I would at least feel a little better by now, which made me wonder if rest actually does help.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lovinmyboys said:

We are moving on Sunday. I have quite a bit to do between now and then and the kids still have tons of end of year activities. However, a lot of it is optional, but Sunday and Monday I need to drive. 

I’m trying to decide if I should take it easy tomorrow and see if that helps, or just push through because I do have lots to do (although the world won’t stop spinning if some of it doesn’t get done). I really don’t want to drive across the country feeling this way, but I don’t know that rest will prevent it. We have movers so even if I do nothing our stuff will all get to the new house.

Here's what I was told:

Your body uses white blood cells to fight colds. And it burns calories to make those white blood cells. If you are active, your body is burning the calories it needs to make more white blood cells, so there are fewer calories available to make the white blood cells, so you won't get well as quickly.

So yes, you need to rest.

• Like 2

For me, not resting leads to a secondary infection like bronchitis. 

Maybe you could do some work but also block out the afternoon for a nap? Sort of split the difference? I hate moving and I hate colds. I hope you feel better soon. 

• Like 3

For me it has varied with age and general health status. Up until about 45 even a really bad cold didn't slow me down much at all. I felt yucky, but I could function well enough. Add ten years and a couple of AI diseases and a cold absolutely wipes me out for at least the first two, and usually three, days. It's not a question of whether rest is better. It's a "have to" because I simply can't function. A cold now has the effect that the flu used to when I was younger (and I can't imagine what flu would be like now!).

I hope you feel better quickly.

Edited by Pawz4me
effect not affect
  • Like 3