Menu

Anyone make their own “Bubble” tea?

StaceyinLA

I’m currently OBSESSED with bubble tea. I don’t really care for it to be sweet (try not to eat much sugar at all), and it’s mainly the darn tapioca balls that get me - LOVE them!

So, I’m thinking of just doing a nice jasmine tea at home, and making some tapioca balls to put in it.

If you’ve ever done this, where do you get your tapioca pearls, and what size do you buy? Bob’s Red Mill sells small ones, and I don’t see other larger ones that are a brand I recognize, so I hope to get recommendations for other brands, or, if the small ones will do the job, I’ll just go with those.

Any suggestions for what to do?

I think this is something that might could even get me off coffee. I know the tapioca isn’t great because it’s a fattening carb, but I wouldn’t be having a ton of them at a time, and it does have a few benefits too. I would leave the tea unsweetened, so I’d have no calories there.

Anyway, just curious whether anyone had done this.

I found a recipe to do the tapioca that looks easy enough. I just didn’t know if something like Bob’s would be different (I prefer to know, at least somewhat, where my stuff is coming from). We do have a big Asian market in BR, but I was just gonna order some from Amazon - that’s why I was asking if anyone could recommend any.

ETA that my recipe was basically rehydrating the ones from the store. That recipe looks cool, and I have tapioca, so I may just have to try it!

I guess I’m a little confused about being able to just store them in honey. Honey is so thick I don’t see how they’d do well. Plus, some recipes I’ve seen about rehydrating the dry ones says they have to be used within a certain time. I wonder if that’s only after rehydrating, and if the fresh ones would store differently.

Guess this is gonna require a bit more research than I thought...

Edited by StaceyinLA

I get ours from the local chinese store.

This is the brand I get:

https://www.amazon.com/WuFuYuan-Tapioca-Pearl-Black-Net/dp/B00PLTLG4O/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=bubble+tea+ball&qid=1560401303&s=gateway&sr=8-2

I've gotten these too https://www.amazon.com/Wufuyuan-Tapioca-Pearl-8-8-Oz/dp/B00PLTPSOI/ref=sr_1_20?keywords=bubble%2Btea%2Bball+taro&qid=1560401356&s=gateway&sr=8-20

and the taro flavored ones, but prefer the black ones (taro ones are smaller)

I think the Bob's ones are probably more of a tapioca pudding size - not the same mouth feel for boba tea at all.

I boil them in water until they're cooked through. (5-20 min depending on if I'm paying attention to how long it's taking - I've learned it's impossible to over cook them.)

I like to drain them, then pour a bit of sugar over them so they can absorb the sweetness.

1/4 cup of dry boba per person is enough for a glass of bubble tea for one person. I haven't been able to figure out how to prepare/store cooked boba so that they stay soft for later (the next day or even 4 hrs later)

I steep black tea separately, and layer the following in a glass: boba, mostly milk, 1/8-1/4 cup steeped tea (I try to make the tea stronger so I can use a higher percentage of milk) and a couple of ice cubes.

For sweetener, I either add enough sugar to the boba after straining them, or I dissolve the sugar in the hot steeping tea. OR, flavored syrups (torani, for example.) I've added vanilla extract to it before too. So good!

I think bubble tea tastes like I'm sucking up tea mixed with frog eggs, so.... gag.  LOL.  But...

There is a recipe on Smitten Kitchen that is probably a solid starting point.

I always see those tapioca balls in Asian groceries.

Tapioca, if I recall, is an excellent pre-biotic, so probably good for your gut if you take out the element of sugar.  Enjoy!

• Like 1

I just read a story about a girl who had more than 100 of the tapioca balls inside her, causing some pretty bad constipation. She had quite the bubble tea habit. 

Who knew that could happen???

I’m in camp ‘frog eggs’.  I try it every single time one of my kids or grands has a bubble tea but I haven’t yet overcome that frog egg feeling.

19 minutes ago, Annie G said:

I just read a story about a girl who had more than 100 of the tapioca balls inside her, causing some pretty bad constipation. She had quite the bubble tea habit. 

Who knew that could happen???

I’m in camp ‘frog eggs’.  I try it every single time one of my kids or grands has a bubble tea but I haven’t yet overcome that frog egg feeling.

I saw that story the other night and told my dh about it. We both like bubble tea and enjoy chewing on the pearls, but just one drink makes our stomach hurt, so there’s no point to us ordering them anymore. 

5 minutes ago, Plum said:

I saw that story the other night and told my dh about it. We both like bubble tea and enjoy chewing on the pearls, but just one drink makes our stomach hurt, so there’s no point to us ordering them anymore. 

Hang on...I’m supposed to chew them? Nobody told me that! They just slide down my throat because I can’t get past the frog egg feeling. 

Just asked granddaughter about it and she like, ‘duh, grandma, of course you chew them. What else would you do? Swallow them whole?’   Yeah I guess I never noticed she chewed them. That might actually help- if I chew one maybe I’ll learn to tolerate them. Dd  and the grands love bubble tea and they’d be thrilled if I could enjoy it when I treated them.

Feeling pretty dumb here. 

Do you think it’s the starch that makes your stomach hurt?

Edited by Annie G

3 minutes ago, Annie G said:

Hang on...I’m supposed to chew them? Nobody told me that! They just slide down my throat because I can’t get past the frog egg feeling. 

Just asked granddaughter about it and she like, ‘duh, grandma, of course you chew them. What else would you do? Swallow them whole?’   Yeah I guess I never noticed she chewed them. That might actually help- if I chew one maybe I’ll learn to tolerate them. Dd  and the grands love bubble tea and they’d be thrilled if I could enjoy it when I treated them.

Feeling pretty dumb here. 

Do you think it’s the starch that makes your stomach hurt?

No idea but we both do. We also chew on ice so......🤷🏻‍♀️

Could be the starch. Dh looooves tapioca pudding and ate a little container every day, but those teas have a lot more tapioca in them. 

I love bubble tea, and sometimes make it at home.

I use these "bubbles":

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PLTLG4O/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've also gotten these straws:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014P7GM14/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

Recently I had a rose-chai bubble tea at a restaurant.  I think I might try and make that one next!  The rose flavor was great.  If you're interested, this is the rose water I already have, which I might use when I try and make the rose-chai version.  🙂

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GN3UN40/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1