Menu

Know of any Intro to Law or similar online courses?

DS16, the math and science whiz, has announced to everyone that he is not going into anything related to STEM. He wants to go into law. (In his defense, he is an excellent debater, quick on his feet with logical arguments, much to my dismay.)

His school has offered to pay for an online Law-related class if I can find one (as long as he agrees to stay on the math team). So far all I see is Connections Academy with a 9-week course, plus maybe add in their Business Law class. Is there anything out there a bit more robust? 

Thanks for any ideas.

I recommend an intro to constitutional law or moot court competition.  Great Courses has Law School for Everyone,  and EDX has Constitutional Law. You should be able easily find a high school moot court competition in your area.  Debate is good prep as well.

12 hours ago, gstharr said:

I recommend an intro to constitutional law or moot court competition.  Great Courses has Law School for Everyone,  and EDX has Constitutional Law. You should be able easily find a high school moot court competition in your area.  Debate is good prep as well.

Thank you for the recommendations. Our small town in the sticks does not have moot court, and the debate group that got going for a few years folded. But the Great Courses course sounds very interesting, and I'll check out the EDX.

16 hours ago, linders said:

DS16, the math and science whiz, has announced to everyone that he is not going into anything related to STEM. He wants to go into law. (In his defense, he is an excellent debater, quick on his feet with logical arguments, much to my dismay.)

His school has offered to pay for an online Law-related class if I can find one (as long as he agrees to stay on the math team). So far all I see is Connections Academy with a 9-week course, plus maybe add in their Business Law class. Is there anything out there a bit more robust? 

Thanks for any ideas.

If your son is interested in a legal career, I think a job would provide better exposure to what lawyers actually do than a class. You might want to see if any attorneys in your area are hiring file runners or something like that. It would be especially helpful if he has an idea of what sort of law he might wish to practice. You might also want to mention to him that an undergraduate degree in math would actually be very helpful for law school admission (and on the LSAT), as logical thinking is needed.

• Like 2