Menu

What's with the ads?

Sign in to follow this  
Paradox5

Apples and Pears Spelling Question

I'm reposting from the other spelling thread cause i really do want to know.

I never could figure out HOW this program was supposed to help with spelling. I used it at one time or another with all my kids but it seemed useless. Help me understand.

• Like 1

I'm with you. I tried it as is, and couldn't tell any progress. And I tried it with a bunch of manipulations, and couldn't see it working either. 

So, I'd love to hear because I feel like I'm missing something.

I think it works with the right kid because it catapulted my R->L thinker into success.

Basically, they are exposed to the words AND right to left tracking over and over again. With daily use and consistency, my daughter made huge strides. I used it with her because she had a lot of reversal and tracking issues in addition to spelling problems.

I used Spell to Write and Read with my oldest and it was great for him. It bombed with #2 who did great with pattern-based spelling. All of my kids experienced "outgrowing" spelling curricula. Basically, they learned a way to think about words that made it easy for them to pick up good spelling without any curriculum after about 2nd grade. The one using this took a bit longer, but not much.

Emily

• Like 3

I think it works with the right kid.  I noticed a difference!   We had a lot of bad habits from creative spelling in public school, and the focus on spelling in sentences, the morpheme analysis - adding endings, helped.  We used books B and C.  I also like that words were reviewed longer then just a week. 

• Like 5

This is the only book that worked for my son.  We tried AAS, and oh the tears.  He just didn't retain the rules.  Apples and Pears is about writing, copying, then covering and writing again.  Somehow that process just cements spelling for him.  We are a couple pages away from the end of Book C, and will start D in the fall.  He now has tools to spell many words.  The morpheme breakdown also helps, but I think that process above of write, copy, cover and write, along with the constant repetition, is key.

• Like 3

It is the only program that helped my worst dyslexics. It forces them to pay close attention to word patterns and how words are constructed.  The spiral repetition of the words in the dictation helps them get the patterns into their long-term memory. 

• Like 6

Echoing above posters. The ‘chunks’/morpheme approach is what works for my DS. I agree that it’s for the  kind of child that needs it. My first and third DC do wonderfully with AAS, but my middle hated it, couldn’t remember or apply the rules, etc. I went straight to A&P and have been with it since for this child. 

Edited by mmasc
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, 8FillTheHeart said:

It is the only program that helped my worst dyslexics. It forces them to pay close attention to word patterns and how words are constructed.  The spiral repetition of the words in the dictation helps them get the patterns into their long-term memory. 

It helped my dyslexic as well. She used levels B-D. My next two, who were poor spellers in early elementary, but not dyslexic, made a lot of progress while using it, but then didn’t seem to need it anymore. One did books A-B, the other only did part of B before her spelling ability kicked in. 

• Like 1

I think it is like a lot of special ed programs-they are great for the kids who need them, but don’t really work well for other populations-it’s either too much or the wrong thing. 

Have you read any of @Lori D.'s posts (like this one) on how she taught spelling?  They are a gold mine for those who have struggling spellers.  The problem, however, is that her methods are very teacher intensive and take a lot of time.  In 15 minutes a day of open & go workbook that requires no thinking/prep on the part of the teacher A&P does what LoriD recommends in a spelling program: 1) Strengthens sequential memory/processing and 2) uses multiple methods & repetition to teach the spelling patterns.  It makes the student sound out by phonogram and chunk, uses first the visual memory (copying), then oral (reading the words), then aural and tactile (dictation), it spirals through the same words over and over, and it helps students visualize the problem areas in words (chunking, morphemes, hidden words).  It really is brilliant in its simplicity and effectiveness.

The program is over kill for a non-struggling speller.  I hope I won't have to use it with my other kids but it has been great for my oldest.  We've only worked through B, but I think she might be ready for starting spelling via dictation in the fall.  If not, we'll go back to A&P.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, mms said:

Have you read any of @Lori D.'s posts (like this one) on how she taught spelling?  They are a gold mine for those who have struggling spellers.  The problem, however, is that her methods are very teacher intensive and take a lot of time.  In 15 minutes a day of open & go workbook that requires no thinking/prep on the part of the teacher A&P does what LoriD recommends in a spelling program: 1) Strengthens sequential memory/processing and 2) uses multiple methods & repetition to teach the spelling patterns.  It makes the student sound out by phonogram and chunk, uses first the visual memory (copying), then oral (reading the words), then aural and tactile (dictation), it spirals through the same words over and over, and it helps students visualize the problem areas in words (chunking, morphemes, hidden words).  It really is brilliant in its simplicity and effectiveness.

The program is over kill for a non-struggling speller.  I hope I won't have to use it with my other kids but it has been great for my oldest.  We've only worked through B, but I think she might be ready for starting spelling via dictation in the fall.  If not, we'll go back to A&P.

SOOO glad to hear that program is a big help for the student -- AND a big time saver for mom! (Wish it had been around when we started homeschooling 19 years ago when spelling struggler DS#2 was 1st grade... 😉)

16 minutes ago, Sarah0000 said:

If Dictation Day by Day is going well for a 7yo, would A&P likely be too much?

I think A&P would be too much for most kids 🙂   I loved Dictation Day by Day, it is also a very well thought out program and a lot more interesting and easier to implement than most modern spelling curriculum. Unfortunately it was not enough for my struggling speller except in conjunction with all the steps outlined in LoriD's post that I linked to above, so spelling was taking a big chunk out of our day.  If it had been enough I would have just stuck with that, it is especially nice once there are selections from real literature to dictate from.

Apples and Pears utilises a couple of different methods to teach, which is why it worked well for my daughter. 
When the lessons were too long, I broke them up over a few days, and there was definitely too much writing for her, so I usually had her fingerspell the words instead of writing.

From reading all this wonderful info, it seems we found it useless because my kids didn't fit the niche it was created for. I feel so relieved!

• Like 1