Menu

Why do people ....?

school17777

7 hours ago, J-rap said:

I guess two things that bug me are:

When you're in a quiet place, and one person is talking loudly on their cell phone in front of everyone.  Do they really think everyone wants to listen to their end of the conversation?  

Another one is when someone is turning off a road and they start going really, really slowly about 1/2 mile early, and how they even have an option to move into a turn lane but don't, until the very end.  So everyone behind them has to slow down, waiting for them to move into the turn lane and turn.

Or when they come to a dead stop and then put on their turn signal. Well, thanks for the info, pal! 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Why do people pick up after their dog, then leave the plastic bag by the road?  Either stick-and-flick without a bag, or bag it and take it to the nearest bin.

I'm guilty of that sometimes, when the pooch does his business quickly and I don't want to carry the bag for the entire walk. But -- it's in our smallish neighborhood and I always pick the bag up on our way back. Everybody knows us, and they know I'm going to pick it up. So probably not what you're referring to.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Stacia said:

There are SO many things I could list. I feel baffled by others a lot of the time.

One... why do some guys spit so much? Not tobacco. Just spit. Open the car door & spit while in traffic. While standing on the sidewalk. Walking down the street. Before walking into a building. Just everywhere (hopefully outside).

Is it excess saliva production? Or something?

🤔

I don't know if there's a scientific reason, but I just figured they were trying to spread more dna.🙄

3 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Why do people pick up after their dog, then leave the plastic bag by the road?  Either stick-and-flick without a bag, or bag it and take it to the nearest bin.

Because they pick it up on the way back. This is super common on the walking trails here. This saves the person from carrying the poo on the remaining miles of a long walk, but still cleans up after the pup. 

• Like 3

https://www.geotab.com/blog/reverse-parking/

10 hours ago, Home'scool said:

Why do male drivers have to back into parking spaces?

I get that it is easier to pull out, but it seems so hard to back into a space it would be easier to pull nose in, and then have the whole parking lot to back out into!

I find this especially with men with HUGE trucks. It's annoying tho, when you are behind someone in a parking lot and they drive past a spot, and then reverse, causing all types of jam ups, and then take forever to back into a space

Proven to be much safer!!  When you are driving forward you have more windows to see out of, and better visibility (especially of short little kids).  As you enter a parking lot, you are more obvious to others around you, because you enter the lot in motion and in a driving lane. Since you are still in motion when you pull into a parking spot (even baking in), you are still more noticeable to the people walking around you. 

When you are parked, people assume you are not moving. When you back out, you can't see the area behind your car, and the sides without using mirrors/cameras. Since you have to shift your view from one mirror/device to the other, someone can walk/run behind the car (between the drivers glances) and get hit by a car backing out.  This (ran-over) person likely assumes it was a parked car, and it  was not moving. 

Another point, is that when you are back into a spot, you can see if it is clear. When you are backing into the road, the view is often blocked by other vehicles/shrubs beside you.

Current laws require all new cars to have back up cameras, but it is still considered safer to park so that when you leave a parking spot, you are driving forward. 

As far as noticing more men doing this....it is taught as a basic rule of many commercial driving programs. My husband used to teach  Smith System driving for his company, and it was a requirement of anyone driving a company car/truck/van to back into all parking spaces. At that time, I think 70-80% of drivers were men (if not higher).

Edited by Tap
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, KidsHappen said:

Why do people take food out of a public fridge that does not belong to them? For instance, take someone else's food out of the fridge at work? Who does this? And why?

Because they are thieves and don't care. If you have someone stealing from a communal fridge/pantry, lock up your other belongings too. Otherwise, they will go missing over time too.  I have worked in areas with communal fridge/pantries my entire adult life. Thieves don't stop at food. 

11 hours ago, Home'scool said:

I get that it is easier to pull out, but it seems so hard to back into a space it would be easier to pull nose in, and then have the whole parking lot to back out into!

I find this especially with men with HUGE trucks. It's annoying tho, when you are behind someone in a parking lot and they drive past a spot, and then reverse, causing all types of jam ups, and then take forever to back into a space

My husband, who has a large truck Toyota Tundra, absolutely hates this trend.  He never backs in unless at a loading dock where he should back in.

3 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

I'm guilty of that sometimes, when the pooch does his business quickly and I don't want to carry the bag for the entire walk. But -- it's in our smallish neighborhood and I always pick the bag up on our way back. Everybody knows us, and they know I'm going to pick it up. So probably not what you're referring to.

I have done this too and for exactly the same reason.  And yes,  I do come back the same way.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, mlktwins said:

I have been spending a lot of time with my 84 year old dad this past year.  A LOT OF TIME!  I am 52 and you would think I don't know anything about anything.  Drives me nuts!!!  And...he was giving me directions through my old neighborhood too - I was 8 months old when we moved in and we are just now selling his house.  I try to keep my mouth shut, but I am doing pretty much everything for him now - driving, grocery shopping, all his financial stuff.

My mom still thinks I've just moved out of the house and don't have a clue how the world works yet.  I'm 54.  She still tries to give me driving instructions when I'm driving (not directions, at least, but still really annoying.  I've been driving for almost 40 years, ma - I think I know how to change lanes...)

The other day she showed up to my house with something she'd made for my dd that she wanted to warm up on my stove.  She brought her own non-stick frying pan - because maybe I wouldn't have one.  Yep, ma, I haven't gotten around to getting a frying pan in my 25 years of marriage and raising kids.  🙄

• Haha 7

6 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

I've seen that too, and that's fine. But there are also abandoned bags, and bags stuffed into bushes.

• Like 1

On 6/12/2019 at 6:08 AM, Garga said:

In an empty public bathroom, with 3 or more stalls, why do women choose the one right next to you to use?  Why not choose one a little farther away?  This grosses me out so much.

Wow, this NEVER entered my mind. How is this gross; I really don't understand. There is a divider between you two! I just go for clean and sufficient TP, which is hard enough.

Emily

• Like 7

7 hours ago, EmilyGF said:

Wow, this NEVER entered my mind. How is this gross; I really don't understand. There is a divider between you two! I just go for clean and sufficient TP, which is hard enough.

Emily

Oh, I know women don’t think about it, because it happens all the time. And also a number of women here at the hive have been confused about why I wrote what I wrote.

There’s just something that I don’t like about sitting on the toilet, semi-naked, actively doing my business (a business that results in various unpleasant smells and makes splashing and plopping sounds) with someone else sitting right next to me and I can see her feet and hear every splash and plop.  I especially don’t like it when someone starts sighing.  A number of women sigh.  (Why do they sigh?)

And I get really weirded out when I’m with someone I know and they raise their voice to talk out loud to me over the sound of us splashing and plopping.  I just don’t answer anymore.  I’m not going to have a conversation with my MIL with pee coming out of our bodies at the same time.  That’s just too much intimacy for me!!  

But, past 5 years old, I never let kids in the bathroom with me when I’m in there at home and I close the door and don’t want DH in there either.  I think I remember from threads past that there are varying degrees of being ok with a spouse being in the bathroom while the other is doing their business.  I’m on the far end of the spectrum where I want NO ONE watching me and I don’t even want them right next to me in the stall.  Perhaps it’s an introverted thing?  Dunno.

I remember going into a bathroom that had literally 16 stalls (because I did count them as I was washing my hands) and someone else came in and used the one right next to me.  Surely, that one stall out of the 15 available wasn’t the only clean one?  It happens often enough that I know women aren’t forced to pee right next to me because it’s the only clean option.  Apparently most people don’t care about it and wander in and sit right next to other people and don’t even notice, but to me my bathroom time is deeply, deeply personal.

(Please know that while this is something I don’t like, I’m writing in a light tone and not getting my panties in a bunch. ... But if my panties were in a bunch, I’d rather unbunch them in the stall farthest away from everyone else. 😄 )

• Like 2
  • Haha 9

21 minutes ago, Garga said:

Oh, I know women don’t think about it, because it happens all the time. And also a number of women here at the hive have been confused about why I wrote what I wrote.

There’s just something that I don’t like about sitting on the toilet, semi-naked, actively doing my business (a business that results in various unpleasant smells and makes splashing and plopping sounds) with someone else sitting right next to me and I can see her feet and hear every splash and plop.  I especially don’t like it when someone starts sighing.  A number of women sigh.  (Why do they sigh?)

And I get really weirded out when I’m with someone I know and they raise their voice to talk out loud to me over the sound of us splashing and plopping.  I just don’t answer anymore.  I’m not going to have a conversation with my MIL with pee coming out of our bodies at the same time.  That’s just too much intimacy for me!!  

But, past 5 years old, I never let kids in the bathroom with me when I’m in there at home and I close the door and don’t want DH in there either.  I think I remember from threads past that there are varying degrees of being ok with a spouse being in the bathroom while the other is doing their business.  I’m on the far end of the spectrum where I want NO ONE watching me and I don’t even want them right next to me in the stall.  Perhaps it’s an introverted thing?  Dunno.

I remember going into a bathroom that had literally 16 stalls (because I did count them as I was washing my hands) and someone else came in and used the one right next to me.  Surely, that one stall out of the 15 available wasn’t the only clean one?  It happens often enough that I know women aren’t forced to pee right next to me because it’s the only clean option.  Apparently most people don’t care about it and wander in and sit right next to other people and don’t even notice, but to me my bathroom time is deeply, deeply personal.

(Please know that while this is something I don’t like, I’m writing in a light tone and not getting my panties in a bunch. ... But if my panties were in a bunch, I’d rather unbunch them in the stall farthest away from everyone else. 😄 )

So, if you go into an empty multi-stall bathroom, do you usually pick the closest (quickest) or farthest (most private feeling) stall?  There are probably others who try for the closest or farthest stall too, so they end up next to you.  Have you tried using the middle stall (assuming there are more than 4)?  Just as an experiment to see what others do.

I used to be very shy about using public restrooms, to the point where I would avoid it whenever possible.  Probably living in a dorm cured me of that.  At this point I don't care if people experience bathroom sounds/smells in the bathroom.  It should surprise nobody, LOL.  At least we have stall doors.  😛

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, SKL said:

So, if you go into an empty multi-stall bathroom, do you usually pick the closest (quickest) or farthest (most private feeling) stall?  There are probably others who try for the closest or farthest stall too, so they end up next to you.  Have you tried using the middle stall (assuming there are more than 4)?  Just as an experiment to see what others do.

It always depends upon the bathroom.  At the movie theater (I go weekly), I pick a certain stall that I know no one must ever use, because whenever I go in there, the seat is still up from when it was cleaned.  

At WalMart, those stalls are all being used constantly, and the last stall has been broken for 6 months or more, so of the three remaining, I choose either the first or the third, because the middle stall will guarantee that someone will sit next to me, but if I’m on an end, there’s a chance the next person will choose the other end, leaving the middle stall as a buffer.

In big bathrooms, it depends on the layout and how busy it is.  If there are 5 stalls in an empty bathroom, say, I might pick the second one, just because it seems like the first one would be most used (though after reading this thread, I’ll have to rethink that, now that I know the first stall is often the least used), and then I’d hope that someone else wandering in would pick either the 4th or 5th.  

And...I think those are the scenarios I’d have stall-choice-control over.  Any other situation would involve only 2 stalls or a bathroom so busy that you know you’ll be right next to someone and there’s no real point in trying to choose a more private stall.  If I have any kind of choice in a busy bathroom, I’ll try to go for a stall that isn’t directly next to someone, regardless of whether it’s the first or last or whichever stall—just farthest from the next person is my first choice.

And now I’m amusing myself realizing just how much energy I put into this preference of mine.  It usually doesn’t infringe on anyone else, unless a friend (or my MIL) starts talking to me while I’m in the stall and I go silent until I’m out of my stall.  I will say, “Hang on...” and then not reply until we’re washing our hands.

I also don’t like hanging out in the bathroom if I’m done and my friend is still washing hands.  I’ll say a cheery, “I’ll meet you outside!” and then I get out of there.  Bathrooms have the potential to be smelly and they seem a bit stuffy.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Garga said:

I also don’t like hanging out in the bathroom if I’m done and my friend is still washing hands.  I’ll say a cheery, “I’ll meet you outside!” and then I get out of there.  Bathrooms have the potential to be smelly and they seem a bit stuffy.

My husband doesn't like hanging out in the bathroom either. Whereas I grew up (mom and two daughters) that no one left the restroom until everyone was done.  I've had to modify this because I have a daughter and a son so I'll dart in and out to check on my son while waiting for daughter to finish.  (though he is getting better at not wandering off so my days of this may be finally numbered)

Edited by vonfirmath
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Garga said:

I’m with you on that. Given options, I will walk upstairs to use my master bathroom toilet room almost always because it’s “my” toilet and I use it more than anyone else in the house. It’s beautifully private, very far from the common areas of the house, ensuring a high likelihood of seclusion. I’m also not one of those casual-about-shower-nudity people. I lock the door. Nobody is watching me shower or toilet unless I recently gave birth or had surgery! 

I remember one time I was going out with a friend and, when I arrived at her house, she was still drying her hair from having showered. I was sitting on her bed, waiting (she knew I was there, btw), when her toddler, in the bathroom with her, flung the double doors wide open. There stands my friend, drying her hair without a stitch of clothing on! That was...surprising. She is one of those casual-about-nudity people, and I have gathered they are more open-door policy around bathrooms. But it was still amazing to me that someone would stand there nude, drying her hair, with a toddler running around. Throw on a bathrobe, maybe?

She did have a staggering figure, so maybe she was proud. 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/12/2019 at 9:04 AM, SKL said:

Why do people pass the car in front of them on the on-ramp when they're trying to enter the freeway?

Why do people get in the far lane to pull into their driveways?

Why do people reply without actually reading their emails / texts?

So many others, but that's a start ....

To go along with these...

Why do people need to pull to the right when making a left turn?

Why don't drivers accelerate on the on ramp so they're merging onto the highway at highway speeds? It's dangerous to merge onto a highway at 35 mph when the highway traffic is going 70!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, wilrunner said:

Why don't drivers accelerate on the on ramp so they're merging onto the highway at highway speeds? It's dangerous to merge onto a highway at 35 mph when the highway traffic is going 70!

Yes!!!  I think they chicken out and are afraid that their merge lane will end, but almost all the time, the merge lane simply becomes the shoulder.  Worst case—you drive on the shoulder for a few meters and then merge in.  It’s not often that the merge lane ends at a wall or nothing.  There’s usually road that you can continue to drive on.

And to pick up from earlier in the thread: I back the van into parking spaces from time to time because it’s safer.  When I back in, I only have to worry about someone in that parking space...and no one is in that space.  But when I back out, I have to worry about cars and people driving and walking by and not paying attention to me backing out.  The van is big and sometimes it’s difficult to see behind me when I’m backing up.  Many times, I’ve been backing up and someone goes driving by or walking by as if they don’t care that I’m backing out and I have to stop until they go by.  Fortunately, I’ve always seen this happening and stopped in time, but I get a little nervous that maybe one day I’ll miss someone walking past—especially a small child.

But more often than backing in, I simply find a spot farther away and pull through.

Edited by Garga

53 minutes ago, Quill said:

I’m with you on that. Given options, I will walk upstairs to use my master bathroom toilet room almost always because it’s “my” toilet and I use it more than anyone else in the house. It’s beautifully private, very far from the common areas of the house, ensuring a high likelihood of seclusion. I’m also not one of those casual-about-shower-nudity people. I lock the door. Nobody is watching me shower or toilet unless I recently gave birth or had surgery! 

I remember one time I was going out with a friend and, when I arrived at her house, she was still drying her hair from having showered. I was sitting on her bed, waiting (she knew I was there, btw), when her toddler, in the bathroom with her, flung the double doors wide open. There stands my friend, drying her hair without a stitch of clothing on! That was...surprising. She is one of those casual-about-nudity people, and I have gathered they are more open-door policy around bathrooms. But it was still amazing to me that someone would stand there nude, drying her hair, with a toddler running around. Throw on a bathrobe, maybe?

I think this might be partially culture or generational.  My parents and grandparents on both sides were like this.  Those of the opposite gender less so around age 4-6, but otherwise no one cares.  Bodies are bodies.  My siblings and I aren't like that at all.  My mom used to make jokes, wondering where we got our modesty.

2 hours ago, Katy said:

I think this might be partially culture or generational.  My parents and grandparents on both sides were like this.  Those of the opposite gender less so around age 4-6, but otherwise no one cares.  Bodies are bodies.  My siblings and I aren't like that at all.  My mom used to make jokes, wondering where we got our modesty.

Perhaps.  My parents walked around naked all the time and left doors to the bathroom open, but I’m completely the opposite.  I sort of cringe when I remember seeing them walking around naked, and that’s probably why I don’t.  I wonder what my kids will be like when they are grown and have their own families.  They’ll probably be sick of wearing clothes all the time and tell people what a repressed mother they had.  🙂

Edited by Garga
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Garga said:

Perhaps, but it’s hard to tell.    My parents walked around naked all the time and left doors to the bathroom open, but I’m completely the opposite.  I sort of cringe when I remember seeing them walking around naked, and that’s probably why I don’t.  I wonder what my kids will be like when they are grown and have their own families.  They’ll probably be sick of wearing clothes all the time and tell people what a repressed mother they had.  🙂

Your kids and my kids will be on this message board, decades from now, commisserating about their closed-door parents. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Quill said:

That would have been me with my toddler.  Well minus the staggering figure.  LOL 

And a robe while drying one’s hair is soooo hot. 

• Haha 2

Why don't people use their turn signals?

And if they aren't legally required, why do cops give tickets when a turn signal is out?

Backing into a space is safer for all the reasons mentioned above but on top of that if you are in a very tight parking lot and have a long vehicle it becomes difficult if not impossible to get out as you can not turn the nose of the vehicle until you get far enough out you won't hit the cars on either side of you. I have taken my Excursion in parking lots where my vehicle is longer than the area I have to pull out into.

Also, too many people have tinted windows so you can't see who is coming down the aisle.

Why do people get their windows tinted? It is actually illegal here to go to dark but cops don't bother with it.

I have a similar issue with our dog. We have a deck on our back door with a wheelchair ramp. There is a heavy gate before the ramp specifically to keep the dog from taking off. My sil always runs in the house and leaves the gate wide open, and when she's leaving doesn't notice if the dog follows her out the door. Even after telling her, we have to be there when she's leaving so the dog doesn't get out. Even delivery people that don't know anything about the dog close the gate, because it was closed when they got to the house. I'm having a large sign made for both sides of the gate: KEEP GATE CLOSED. Probably won't work, but it's worth a try. 

Why do people - my people, specifically - continually put the leftover half (or whatever portion) of raw onion in a plastic container when I have repeatedly asked that they use glass, and have plenty of glass containers for them to use?  I have even explained WHY - glass does not retain odors the way plastic can - for the people who need a REASON for everything.  And yet...

Edited by marbel
  • Like 1

On 6/12/2019 at 2:18 PM, moonflower said:

In Colorado they have signs up on many highways that say "slow traffic keep right" or "stay right except to pass" or something similar.  It seems like basic driving 101 and you'd think no one would need the sign to know not to drive (especially slowly!) in the left lane when traffic isn't heavy, but here in Missouri, and most other places we've lived, it's like no one has heard of this concept.  They just stay in the left lane, driving the speed limit or 5 under, with an open right lane beside them.  If you come up behind them, about half the time they'll eventually get over, but sometimes not, which is the kind of driving obliviousness that makes me nervous.  

We just had our law changed to this.  It was what was taught in the driving manual that the state put out-  we taught our youngest in this state-- but no law to back it up.  Our law is called the Anti Road Rage law because that kind of behavior sometimes provokes road rage.

• Like 2

On 6/12/2019 at 10:57 AM, Home'scool said:

My husband’s former company requires all company vehicles and vehicles being used for the company (ie personal vehicle for which mileage is paid) to be backed into spaces. Apparently it’s a lot safer and you are less likely to run over a person if you are pulling forward vs backing up. They are also required to walk completely around their vehicle each and every time they are about to drive. Many of them put a small construction cone on the opposite side of the hood to remind them to do their walk around. It’s really weird to go through the company parking lot because all the vehicles are backed in except those belonging to random visitors.

I asked if you were more likely to endanger people backing into a spot but he said according to company rules it is still safer because you have observed the spot completely before pulling in. I don’t know that they have done actual research to determine which method is safer. 

44 minutes ago, TravelingChris said:

We just had our law changed to this.  It was what was taught in the driving manual that the state put out-  we taught our youngest in this state-- but no law to back it up.  Our law is called the Anti Road Rage law because that kind of behavior sometimes provokes road rage.

It definitely provokes Road Irritation in DH!  I've taken to glancing over at the driver of the other car after they finally get over (or we pass on the right if they never get over) and I'd say 60% of the time they're holding a phone and looking down at it while driving.  Texting and driving, or using a phone for anything other than talking while driving, is my number one driving annoyance. 

• Like 2

On 6/11/2019 at 10:08 PM, Garga said:

In an empty public bathroom, with 3 or more stalls, why do women choose the one right next to you to use?  Why not choose one a little farther away?  This grosses me out so much.

On 6/11/2019 at 10:49 PM, school17777 said:

I have observed this too.  I don’t understand it either.

When I have to pee I am not going to try and figure out who is where. As long as I'm not walking in on someone I'm going to pee as soon as I find an empty stall. I really don't care if someone is next to me. I don't have performance anxiety like Joey from friends 🙂

I don't understand why people answer their phones while in a public bathroom (private either, but at least I'm not there to hear the conversation). I was in a bathroom at Walmart when I heard a phone ring. I'm sitting there thinking, "Don't answer it, don't answer it." 

She answered it, and I heard, "I'm in the bathroom at Walmart. Yeah, my stomach isn't feeling well. I think it was something I ate."

OMG! I did not need ANY of that information 🤮

Kelly

• Like 1

On 6/12/2019 at 7:42 PM, Tap said:

Because they pick it up on the way back. This is super common on the walking trails here. This saves the person from carrying the poo on the remaining miles of a long walk, but still cleans up after the pup. 

I have never heard of such a thing. I usually pick them up and toss them in the trash, thinking no one is coming back for it. I just carry our poop bag on the walk if they go early on. 

Maybe I'll start leaving bags I find along the road or trail assuming someone is coming back.

Kelly

On 6/15/2019 at 3:41 PM, kdsuomi said:

In some areas it's because of heat. We lived in Phoenix one year, and everyone had super tinted windows for that reason. Our car with CA legal tint on the front windows (basically none) definitely stood out.

That makes sense. Up here there is zero need for it and it means I can't see the driver. As a cyclist I need to make eye contact with the driver before I know they've seen me. When people have their front or driver's side window's tinted I can't tell if they've seen me and are waving me across or if they are stopping to look at their phone and will step on the gas as soon as I'm in front of them.

Funny. Ten minutes after I typed this DH told me a woman rolled down her window and screamed at him that he could just go around her. She was sitting across the crosswalk texting. He hadn't done anything. Didn't tap on the window, was just waiting for her to look up so she didn't just look only to the side for cars and pull out while he was in front of her. He explained that he just wanted her to see him and she yelled again to just go around next time. She was dealing with an emergency text from her son and he didn't need to be such an a$$. 

Why are some people allowed to drive at all?

• Haha 2

@Garga, I'm right there with you about not wanting to use a stall next to someone else. It's marginally better if it's a stranger, or if it's someone who doesn't know that it's ME in the stall next to them. But not much.

I have heard that in Japan, public toilets often have white noise machines available *in the stalls* and are almost always immaculately clean. It sounds like a bathroom paradise. ❤️🚽🌈

ETA: We once stopped at a rather famous rest stop in the middle of the U.S. (I can't remember the name or the state!) and the stalls all had solid walls between them and actual doors that closed. So nice! 

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 2