Menu

Is MUS Algebra 2 and beyond enough for future nursing student

Hi all. I have a ninth grade student that completed Saxon Algebra 1 in eighth grade. She is considering doing math at a private school next year just to switch up the pace a little bit and try something new. They use MUS. Is Math U See Geometry, Algebra 2, and beyond enough for a student that will likely go into a nursing or other service career? She is good at math but doesn’t love it, and likely will not need advanced maths in college. I just don’t want her to get to college and wish she had something a little more challenging in high school if she ends up changing career paths. Thoughts and advice appreciated. 

I’m not sure I understand what you mean by ‘and beyond’. Does that mean the school uses MUS and offers classes beyond Algebra 2 (such as Pre-Calculus? and Calculus?)

My two current nursing students both took Geometry, Algebra 2, Pre-Calculus, and AP Statistics in high school. I would say Pre-Calculus would be the minimum level your DD should complete (the SAT/ACT includes some trig and other topics typically taught in Pre-Calc).  Statistics in high school was great exposure before they got to bio-stats in college, so I consider it a bonus, but not necessary. 

I personally can’t speak to whether MUS, specifically, is strong enough for students headed to nursing school. I think the rigor of it has been discussed on here extensively, though. Hope others can help. 

• Like 2

My dd did MUS in high school through PreCal.  In college for nursing, she is required to take Statistics, which she had to place into by getting a certain score (540?) on her SATs in the math section.  She had gotten through all of Algebra 2 before taking the SAT the first time and not getting the minimum score, so then we started PreCal and had to jump ahead to certain chapters plus do some Kahn Academy before taking it the next time and achieving a 570.

She is now eligible for Statistics at her college.  How well she would do in that, I don't know.  She hasn't taken it yet.  I did buy some statistics workbooks and do a semester of home-grown Statistics and Probability with her.

HTH!

• Like 1

My daughter was pre-nursing for a while, and the only math she would’ve been required to take was statistics. My son did the statistics course after completing MUS algebra two, and had no trouble.  My daughter had taken through pre-calculus. She switched majors to early childhood education, which ironically requires three math courses! 

• Like 1

On 6/10/2019 at 11:32 AM, Berley said:

Hi all. I have a ninth grade student that completed Saxon Algebra 1 in eighth grade. She is considering doing math at a private school next year just to switch up the pace a little bit and try something new. They use MUS. Is Math U See Geometry, Algebra 2, and beyond enough for a student that will likely go into a nursing or other service career? She is good at math but doesn’t love it, and likely will not need advanced maths in college. I just don’t want her to get to college and wish she had something a little more challenging in high school if she ends up changing career paths. Thoughts and advice appreciated. 

Math U See is a fine secondary math program.

If she wants to change paths and needs more math, then her secondary math education + a semester or two of hard, focused work will get her where she needs to be, IMHO. 

• Like 1

I think that MUS is great for the lower grades, but it is really, really not rigorous for high school, and I only recommend it for special situations. 

I honestly would be concerned about the other curricular choices a private high school is making if they have chosen MUS for math.

That said, if your daughter is solid on Algebra I stuff from doing Saxon, she should do just fine with the math required for nursing.  But you are smart to think about the possibility of her changing her focus.  I went from an artsy humanities type at the beginning of college to biochemistry major by the end.  Having a much better math background (I essentially failed Algebra II and then never took precalculus) would have been extremely helpful.

• Like 1

My dd's BSN program only requires College Algebra and Statistics. The other programs we looked at were similar. MUS through Pre-Calc would be very adequate prep for that. We used MUS, but switched at Algebra for different reasons for each kid. If it continues to work for you, I'd continue to use it. 

• Like 1