Menu

How many credits do I give for this CC course?

You'll likely get a variety of recommendations.

Here was my thought process when it came to assigning high school credit for the classes my daughter took at the community college.

Amongst the first classes my daughter took at the local community college were College Algebra (a five hour class) and Trigonometry (a four hour class). She did these two classes in consecutive quarters as our community college is on the quarter rather than semester system. Had she taken a year long class in Precalculus at home or at the local high school, she would have earned one high school credit. Since the combination of College Algebra and Trigonometry is considered Precalculus (and in fact the text used in both of these classes was Sullivan's Precalculus), I assigned each of these classes one half high school credit. To me, it would have seemed too generous to give two credits for this combination of classes.

On my daughter's transcript, I included this information in the Notes section:

Courses taken at Z Community College (ZCC) as a high school student; 0.50 credit assigned to each 4 or 5 quarter credit class taken at ZCC.

That said, our local state university gives one high school credit for each over 100 level college course. 

Regards,
Kareni

• Like 1

If it’s a two credit hour semester course, I’d say 1/2 credit. My son dual enrolled at the local LAC during high school and all his courses were worth four semester credits, even those with three hour labs each week in addition to lecture. I gave each the equivalent of one high school course credit.

If it’s a two credit quarter class, that’s a bit trickier and would probably depend on the class. Some would likely not be worth even 1/2 credit, unless combined with something else. My son’s college was on a quarter system, and in most cases he found that a one quarter class covered just as much, if not more, and in more depth than all of his previous semester classes, things just moved faster. But technically, each of his four credit semester classes was worth six quarter credits. Which he basically found absurd given his experience, but that’s the normal conversion.

Edited by Frances

My DS is in this situation; one of the DE classes he's taking is worth 2 college credits. I'm going to round down and give it .5 credits on his high school transcript, because I don't want his transcript to be perceived as being "padded", and because he will have more than enough credits for graduation from our homeschool, so the difference between .5 and 1.0 credit doesn't matter in the big picture anyway. The point is that he took the course and it is on the transcript -- the number of credits earned for it is not the point, to me.

Edited by TarynB
  • Like 2

You may want to see if the cc has a recommendation. Or you could check to see what credit the local high school gives for it. I found that I could see how many credits our local high school was giving for dual credit courses when I was helping a friend with her son’s transcript.