Menu
Jump to content

What's with the ads?

Robin M

Book a Week 2019 - BW24: 52 Books Bingo - Ice or Snow Bound

Recommended Posts

Favorite books of 2019:

Emma -- British classic

Frankenstein -- British classic

Born a Crime -- Autobiography

Speak: The Graphic Novel -- Written Too Late

As You Wish -- Memoir

The Song of Roland -- Poetry

Brown Girl Dreaming -- Poetry/Written Too Late

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's a good range of favourite books, @Junie  (Off to hunt up As You Wish.)  I really enjoy Emma too!  Must read Frankenstein.... sometime.  (The Song of Roland wasn't as good for, I didn't know about the rap slant 😉 )

I'm fishing for a few suggestions to try reading ....  currently in reading slump and I don't want to keep reverting back to favourites, well, not too much 😉

Sharing my favourites so far this year: 

One Corpse Too Many(Chronicles of Brother Cadfael, #2)  (Mystery/ Historical)

Grief Observed (NF/ Memoir/ CC)

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell (Fantasy/ Historical)

Winter and Rough Weather(Drumberley, #3) (Gentle/ Vintage)

Sweep: The Story of a Girl and Her Monster (Juvenile Fiction)

One Child: The Story of China's Most Radical Experiment (NF/ China)

Irena's Children: The Extraordinary Story of the Woman Who Saved 2,500 Children from the Warsaw Ghetto (NF/ WWII)

Edited by tuesdayschild
comments ;)
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been looking over my lists for my favorites so far this year and honestly I have had a really good reading year so far.  It was hard to pick just a few...........

The Au Pair https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/37561550-the-au-pair was good in the what everybody’s reading type of category.  What bookstores are displaying etc😉. I can’t remember much about the adult content levels but throwing it in because was a convoluted plot that totally entertained me.

The Unexpected Mrs. Pollifax https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/5458060-the-sunday-philosophy-club https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/140524.The_Unexpected_Mrs_Pollifax is first in an older cozy series that I managed to completely miss much to @aggieamy horror.  I really enjoyed the second in this series also and need to put the third one on hold!

All Systems Red https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/32758901-all-systems-red is the first in the Murderbot series.  I loved these books!

The Man Who Died https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/35960911-the-man-who-died is a very different murder mystery.  The main character discovers he has been poisoned and will die.  Before he dies he wants to track down his killer and pretty much everyone in his life has a solid place on the list.  Finnish author......

The Sunday Philosophy Club https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/5458060-the-sunday-philosophy-club I believe @Neginreally likes these and they have been a happy find for me.  They aren’t what I would class as cozies because many of the mysteries are simply things that Isobel is curious about. This is another series where I need to check the next book out..........

@tuesdayschild wondering if you have read any Charlotte MacLeod?  These are older American cozies that my Overdrive recently started stocking.  It’s another author I completely missed but the two I read in this series were good https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/512989.The_Family_Vault?ac=1&from_search=true.  I need to start using this author to fill in spelling challenges!  😂

 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@mumto2 Coming back to link hop tomorrow (thank you ❤️).       Love Mrs. Pollifax, so sad there are not more of them.   I've read one of Charlotte MacLeods, which wasn't a good fit - Christmas themed read at Christmas time, I usually skip those challenges - and will watch to see if you find one that you really like. 

Spelling challenges are forcing encouraging me to read authors I would never have tried, so that's a good thing.   (31 new to me authors so far this year. )

Wondering if you've tried this book? ( I've downloaded it as an audio ) A Shameful Murder ~ Cora Harrison

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, tuesdayschild said:

@mumto2 Coming back to link hop tomorrow (thank you ❤️).       Love Mrs. Pollifax, so sad there are not more of them.   I've read one of Charlotte MacLeods, which wasn't a good fit - Christmas themed read at Christmas time, I usually skip those challenges - and will watch to see if you find one that you really like. 

Spelling challenges are forcing encouraging me to read authors I would never have tried, so that's a good thing.   (31 new to me authors so far this year. )

Wondering if you've tried this book? ( I've downloaded it as an audio ) A Shameful Murder ~ Cora Harrison

A Shameful Murder generally has really long hold’s so I have never tried it.  From the hold’s line people like them!  😂 It looks like something I would like but know I quickly abandoned one of this author’s other series https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1625740.My_Lady_Judge.  No idea why but it was a book I really wanted to like because of Robin’s Lady Judge Bingo category last year.

I will try to think of a few more series.......

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, tuesdayschild said:

I'm fishing for a few suggestions to try reading ....  currently in reading slump and I don't want to keep reverting back to favourites, well, not too much 😉

Well, I could trot out my standard recommendations ... Guareschi's Little World of Don Camillo, Dunstall's Linesman series, Cleeland's Acton and Doyle mysteries ... or I can offer you some links:

10 Captivating Historical Fantasy Novels

10 AWESOME HISTORICAL FANTASY NOVELS BY WOMEN

Mysteries for intelligent (but delicate) little old ladies

Similar to Brother Cadfael

I can't recall if you've read Addison's The Goblin Emperor; if not, I would recommend that.

Regards,

Kareni

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/11/2019 at 1:35 PM, Kareni said:

I stayed up late last night finishing a book that was recommended by both @mumto2 and @Jane in NC. It was dark, but I enjoyed it and expect to read on in the series.

 

Just finished it. I too enjoyed it and hope to read (listen to) more of them.  I like the Assad character too

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last night I read the French play Cyrano de Bergerac.  It was a surprisingly fast read.  I had never heard the story before; it was enjoyable and one that I wouldn't mind having in my library.  I'm still a novice at writing reviews.  I haven't yet learned how much is the proper amount to share -- not too little, and definitely not too much.  I'll figure it out someday.  😉

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Heya!  My favorite reads this year have been mostly favorite author new releases in continuing paranormal series

Faith Hunter Circle of the Moon    (Soulwood)

Patricia Briggs Storm Cursed   (Mercedes Thompson)

Anne Bishop's Wild Country.  (Other)

as well as Nora Roberts Connections in Death (In death) , Sheri Cobb South's Weaver Takes a Wife, (Weaver) and Roxanne St Claire's Old Dog, New Tricks (Dogfather)

An oldie of Debbie Macomber Changing Habits 

My reading is all over the place from paranormal to historical romance to contemporary.  Quite a bit more rereads this year.

Kitty report:  On Tuesday, Momma and one babe captured. The rest hid from the rescue worker so John went out and gathered up the other four. My hubby, the cat whisperer. All are going to foster homes.  Mom will be fixed and released.  They were so adorable but my senior cats wouldn't have been too happy.  😘

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

14 hours ago, tuesdayschild said:

   Love Mrs. Pollifax, so sad there are not more of them. 

 

I ended up reading whatever I could find by Dorothy Gilman.  I enjoyed some of her other fiction books and her non fiction book In Another Country (about some time she spent on her own in, iirc, Nova Scotia) very much too.  

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've added some new to me titles to my wishlist, thanks BaW 😍, and happily, now have two new reads lined up   @mumto2 The Man Who Died is at my local library (I was amazed they had it!).  Loved all the links @Kareni - and am off to rabbit trail through them next.  I've seen you keep recommending The Goblin Emperor for a while now and couldn't loan it through Overdrive, nor procure it via Amazon kindle - Kobo sold it to me on special for about $2.80 USD   (other than credits gifted to me, I'm back on my annual low to no spend for books until Nov).   ( The version kiwis can purchase https://www.kobo.com/nz/en/ebook/the-goblin-emperor-1 )

Wow, you are reading eclectically @Robin M    -The Weaver Takes a Wife is on my kindle, thanks for the reminder, must read it!  So good to read that the kittens, & Mom, are heading towards potential forever homes. Your senior cats can remain oblivious to the kitten bullet that just whizzed passed them. 

@Junie keep posting your reading in French journey - it's encouraging!

@Pen Good reminder!  I've only read/listened to two of Gilman's other,  non-Mrs Pollifax,  books and liked them Thales Folly, and, A Nun in the Closet

Have a good weekend everyone!  

Edited by tuesdayschild
link
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, tuesdayschild said:

 

@Junie keep posting your reading in French journey - it's encouraging!

 

I'm not reading in French yet.  Just stories that were first written in French.

I've been doing quite a bit of Duolingo recently.  I'm hoping to finish my French tree for the first time by the end of the year.  I'm also working on turning my Spanish tree gold again.

I've also been practicing ASL with some youtube videos.

Dd11 is wanting to learn French and dd8 wants to learn Spanish.  They keep pestering encouraging me to practice!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/13/2019 at 6:38 AM, tuesdayschild said:

Anyone care to share their favourite book/s so far this year, any genre?   


You made me go back and look - The books I rated 5 stars so far this year are:

Moby-Dick by Melville (classic American)

The Girl Who Smiled Beads by Clemantine Wamariya (a memoir of a Rwandan refugee)

A Memory Called Empire by Arkady Martine (Sci-Fi)

Milkman by Anna Burns (fiction, about the Irish Troubles)

Medea by Euripides - (Greek play) - just read this because I'd planned to read a more modern retelling and thought I should read the source material.

 

And some series I've been working on which overall are wonderful:

All the Murderbots - (Sci-Fi) so much fun!

The Story of the Stone by Cao Xueqin (classic Chinese) - I've read 3 of the 5 volumes so far

Kristin Lavransdatter by Sigrid Undset  (classic Swedish) - finished the third and final volume this year.

The Winternight Trilogy by Katherine Arden (fantasy) - read the final book, Winter of the Witch this year.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, tuesdayschild said:

 @Kareni - I've seen you keep recommending The Goblin Emperor for a while now


If Kareni's reminders need any additional boost, The Goblin Emperor is one of my favorite books of the last three years combined.  Everyone should go read it right now. :wink:

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 
1
1 hour ago, Junie said:

I'm not reading in French yet.  Just stories that were first written in French.

I've been doing quite a bit of Duolingo recently.  I'm hoping to finish my French tree for the first time by the end of the year.  I'm also working on turning my Spanish tree gold again.

I've also been practicing ASL with some youtube videos.

Dd11 is wanting to learn French and dd8 wants to learn Spanish.  They keep pestering encouraging me to practice!

It all counts!!  (I'm still in the thought stages....😜)

I came back to sign out and saw your list of favourites.  I like so many of the NF books you suggested to me last )?) year ... I'll archive and check out your current 5-star reads.  I'm a Moby Dick fan, via audiobook.    Appreciate the follow up 'read-it' vote below, especially since I just purchased that book 🙂 .

1 hour ago, Matryoshka said:


If Kareni's reminders need any additional boost, The Goblin Emperor is one of my favorite books of the last three years combined.  Everyone should go read it right now. :wink:

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Pen said:

 

Just finished it. I too enjoyed it and hope to read (listen to) more of them.  I like the Assad character too

 

Glad you enjoyed Department Q!

17 hours ago, Junie said:

Last night I read the French play Cyrano de Bergerac.  It was a surprisingly fast read.  I had never heard the story before; it was enjoyable and one that I wouldn't mind having in my library.  I'm still a novice at writing reviews.  I haven't yet learned how much is the proper amount to share -- not too little, and definitely not too much.  I'll figure it out someday.  😉

This was one of my favorites from a high school lit class.  Maybe I should revisit it.

17 hours ago, Robin M said:

Heya!  My favorite reads this year have been mostly favorite author new releases in continuing paranormal series

Faith Hunter Circle of the Moon    (Soulwood)

Patricia Briggs Storm Cursed   (Mercedes Thompson)

Anne Bishop's Wild Country.  (Other)

as well as Nora Roberts Connections in Death (In death) , Sheri Cobb South's Weaver Takes a Wife, (Weaver) and Roxanne St Claire's Old Dog, New Tricks (Dogfather)

An oldie of Debbie Macomber Changing Habits 

My reading is all over the place from paranormal to historical romance to contemporary.  Quite a bit more rereads this year.

Kitty report:  On Tuesday, Momma and one babe captured. The rest hid from the rescue worker so John went out and gathered up the other four. My hubby, the cat whisperer. All are going to foster homes.  Mom will be fixed and released.  They were so adorable but my senior cats wouldn't have been too happy.  😘

Glad the kittens are all going to homes.  So cute, it must have been hard to resist.

I am going to put Goblin Emperor on hold again.  Maybe I will try the audio.  Dd read it when I had it last time and loved it!  She is currently reading another @Kareni recommendation, The Martian.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, mumto2 said:

I am going to put Goblin Emperor on hold again.  Maybe I will try the audio.  Dd read it when I had it last time and loved it!  

I am a huge audiobook fan, but Goblin Emperor is one book I'd strongly recommend a print or ebook version of - it's a bit like Russian lit in that the characters have a variety of nicknames and honorifics that might be hard to keep track of - as well as there being a liberal sprinkling of the local language, which has lots of prefixes and suffixes and such.  Being able to flip back and/or check the glossary at the back I think would be helpful.  I know there was at least one person who read it who said it was a bit hard to keep track of on audio.  But don't let that discourage you - it's definitely worth reading!  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Matryoshka said:

I am a huge audiobook fan, but Goblin Emperor is one book I'd strongly recommend a print or ebook version of - it's a bit like Russian lit in that the characters have a variety of nicknames and honorifics that might be hard to keep track of - as well as there being a liberal sprinkling of the local language, which has lots of prefixes and suffixes and such.  Being able to flip back and/or check the glossary at the back I think would be helpful.  I know there was at least one person who read it who said it was a bit hard to keep track of on audio.  But don't let that discourage you - it's definitely worth reading!  

Thank you, I just checked and my UK library doesn’t have Goblin Emperor in paper form.  I think I will wait until fall when I can listen with a paper copy right beside me. 😉

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...