Menu

Help: Packing “one personal item” for teen boy for plane

Pen

Actually, Allegiant does not take cash for their onboard snacks and drinks -- only credit/debit.

He should be able to use his debit card just about anywhere. But if his host pays for something, and your son wants to offer to pay half (buying a pizza, for example, or giving some money towards gas if they drive somewhere), he should have some money for that kind of thing. So maybe for things when he gets off of the plane, but he can probably use the debit card for anything inside the airport.

Will he need to take a taxi or bus? It seems that most places accept plastic now, but transportation could be an area where he might want some cash. If he takes a shuttle bus from the airport, for example, he might want to offer the driver a small tip. Since he is not taking a bag other than his backpack, tipping should be minimal, though.

Not knowing what kind of things he might want to pay for, I think $100 -- a few twenties and then a selection of smaller bills -- would more than enough cash. On our recent family vacation, we used very little cash, even for six people over a week's time. It's a good idea for him to carry his cash in more than one place -- some in his wallet, some in a pocket of his backpack.

1 hour ago, Storygirl said:

Actually, Allegiant does not take cash for their onboard snacks and drinks -- only credit/debit.

Oh.  thanks! I had that backwards!

He should be able to use his debit card just about anywhere. But if his host pays for something, and your son wants to offer to pay half (buying a pizza, for example, or giving some money towards gas if they drive somewhere), he should have some money for that kind of thing. So maybe for things when he gets off of the plane, but he can probably use the debit card for anything inside the airport.

Will he need to take a taxi or bus? It seems that most places accept plastic now, but transportation could be an area where he might want some cash. If he takes a shuttle bus from the airport, for example, he might want to offer the driver a small tip. Since he is not taking a bag other than his backpack, tipping should be minimal, though.

He arrives at night. Is supposed to be met, but I’m concerned about snafus in that.

after the arrival night , he should be able to use an ATM 

Not knowing what kind of things he might want to pay for, I think $100 -- a few twenties and then a selection of smaller bills -- would more than enough cash. On our recent family vacation, we used very little cash, even for six people over a week's time. It's a good idea for him to carry his cash in more than one place -- some in his wallet, some in a pocket of his backpack.

Sounds good.  Thanks!

reminds me of when I lived in NYC and it was considered advisable to have two wallets so there’d be a back up in case of purse snatchers, pick pockets or muggers

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Pen said:

Oh.  thanks! I had that backwards!

He arrives at night. Is supposed to be met, but I’m concerned about snafus in that.

Sounds good.  Thanks!

reminds me of when I lived in NYC and it was considered advisable to have two wallets so there’d be a back up in case of purse snatchers, pick pockets or muggers

Woah. I've never heard of that but it was advised for our trip to guatemala.

• Like 1

On 6/10/2019 at 10:00 AM, Pen said:

The whole LP to learning to drive thing is a learning challenges challenge.  He’s afraid to take the test. He won’t read the manual...  It’s become a major focus for the summer for me to work on him with—sort of like remediation of dyslexia was back in 3rd grade.  

My dd was able to find online practice for the test. She was the same  - scared to take the test and wouldn't read the manual - but she did some online practice tests and really learned the material that way and did fine on the test. Somehow it was less intimidating that way. Maybe your son can try that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TCB said:

My dd was able to find online practice for the test. She was the same  - scared to take the test and wouldn't read the manual - but she did some online practice tests and really learned the material that way and did fine on the test. Somehow it was less intimidating that way. Maybe your son can try that.

My Ds did find what was supposed to be online practice, but it didn’t truthfully align with our state test—or rules.

I do wonder if there is some better option like that though. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Pen said:

If the person meeting him is going to be very late, better to wait at the international side of SFO. Just take the air train from domestic to international.

https://www.flysfo.com/to-from/getting-around-sfo

Plenty of atms at SFO https://www.flysfo.com/content/automated-teller-machines-atms-international-terminal-7

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Arcadia said:

If the person meeting him is going to be very late, better to wait at the international side of SFO. Just take the air train from domestic to international.

https://www.flysfo.com/to-from/getting-around-sfo

Plenty of atms at SFO https://www.flysfo.com/content/automated-teller-machines-atms-international-terminal-7

I think he’s going via Oakland Airport.  I assume it will be much smaller airport.  

But I’m thinking he might be better off not dealing with ATMs in Oakland at 11pm.  Especially if then sitting around on his own, or going off on some back up transportation.  

He is on small side for a teen boy, and looks multi-mixed race also if that makes any difference.   

He was wearing a bright red t-shirt today.  Are things like T-shirt colors and so forth an issue for teen boys in regard to gangs In the Bay Area? 

• Like 1

OP I haven't read all of the replies in this thread, and I do not want to increase your anxiety, however, for the Safety of your DS, I do want to increase your awareness...

I hope that you haven't already purchased the ticket for a flight scheduled to arrive at Oakland International Airport at 11 P.M., for a number of reasons. The likelihood of a flight being delayed or canceled increases, as the day goes on.  So, the first flight in the morning is the one most apt to be on time. Especially if the aircraft was in the origin city overnight.

Also, I would not be using an ATM machine at 11 P.M. if I were by myself. And I would avoid doing that, if I was with someone else.   I would suggest that he have enough Cash with him to do whatever he needs to do, until he can use an ATM machine the next day, preferably in the morning or early afternoon and preferably when he is not alone.

That's a very rough area (San Francisco International and also Oakland International) and many other places in the Bay area. 

If my DD was by herself and she had to spend overnight, waiting for a connection, the place I believe she is the safest would be at El Dorado Airport, in Bogota, Colombia (we live in Colombia). That airport is well patrolled and there are many people sleeping there, waiting for a connecting flight.   I have, in the past, contemplated her doing that, but didn't like the idea, and avoided those schedules.  I would NEVER consider having her do that at SFO or OAK.  Those airports are IMO far more dangerous than the airports here in Colombia...

Think about what he will do if the person is not there to meet him when he gets off the aircraft in OAK.  Think about what he will do if there is a delay and his flight arrives in OAK at 4 A.M., instead of 11 P.M. 

He sounds like a very inexperienced traveler and this is not the best way for him to get experience traveling alone. Place his safety as your number one priority, at all times. If at all possible, have him fly to the Bay Area early in the morning...

I hope he will enjoy his trip!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Lanny said:

OP I haven't read all of the replies in this thread, and I do not want to increase your anxiety, however, for the Safety of your DS, I do want to increase your awareness...

I hope that you haven't already purchased the ticket for a flight scheduled to arrive at Oakland International Airport at 11 P.M., for a number of reasons. The likelihood of a flight being delayed or canceled increases, as the day goes on.  So, the first flight in the morning is the one most apt to be on time. Especially if the aircraft was in the origin city overnight.

Origin city doesn’t have any commercial planes staying overnight afaik. And a flip side is that morning fog can cause morning flight delays. 

Flight  official arrival time in OAK is 9:10 pm.

I’m guesstimating it could well be 11 with delays .  

I plan to stay at departure airport till plane takes off, so if it’s cancelled we go home together.  

He is supposed to be met at OAK end—and this flight with the night arrival was chosen by the person picking him up as a good time from the POV that person’s schedule.  And promised that he’ll be there for pick up. But I am trying to have some back up ideas if pick up doesn’t work out as well as it should.  

It was purchased, but with the $25 for making a change if necessary.  

Also, I would not be using an ATM machine at 11 P.M. if I were by myself. And I would avoid doing that, if I was with someone else.   I would suggest that he have enough Cash with him to do whatever he needs to do, until he can use an ATM machine the next day, preferably in the morning or early afternoon and preferably when he is not alone.

No. I agree.  We don’t use ATMs at 11pm in our area either, and it’s probably a good bit safer.    That was why I was asking about a good cash amount to have along.

Id prefer ds to have as little cash as is sensible, and use his debit card as much as possible rather than cash. 

That's a very rough area (San Francisco International and also Oakland International) and many other places in the Bay area. 

If my DD was by herself and she had to spend overnight, waiting for a connection, the place I believe she is the safest would be at El Dorado Airport, in Bogota, Colombia (we live in Colombia). That airport is well patrolled and there are many people sleeping there, waiting for a connecting flight.   I have, in the past, contemplated her doing that, but didn't like the idea, and avoided those schedules.  I would NEVER consider having her do that at SFO or OAK.  Those airports are IMO far more dangerous than the airports here in Colombia...

There’s a scary thought!

Think about what he will do if the person is not there to meet him when he gets off the aircraft in OAK.  Think about what he will do if there is a delay and his flight arrives in OAK at 4 A.M., instead of 11 P.M. 

It’s a nonstop, so once in air on our end it should get to OAK in 2-3 hours.  Though I have heard Allegiant sometimes decides something is wrong and returns to departure airport.

If significant delay happens—beyond the couple of hours I’m already expecting as likely to end up arriving around 11pm — I guess we’ll have a bunch of 3 way texting figuring out what to do.

I guess if it arrives at 4am he’d probably call me and go get some coffee—presuming OAK is a 24hour Airport — and hang out for an hour or so until contact could be made with ... someone... taxi perhaps if necessary. 

4AM sounds not so bad.  Almost morning rush hour.   1 or 2AM seems like it could  be worse. 

He sounds like a very inexperienced traveler and this is not the best way for him to get experience traveling alone. Place his safety as your number one priority, at all times. If at all possible, have him fly to the Bay Area early in the morning...

I hope he will enjoy his trip!

He’s definitely an inexperienced traveler. 

There’s a daily nonstop flight supposed to arrive at around 4pm,  but the supposed to pick up at other end person said that’s worse for him in terms of work schedule. 

There are  flight possibilities  that involve going first north to Seattle, or even to Alaska, then change planes and go back south to SFO or OAK.  Some of them arrive early evening times, but I thought that would be more chaos and worse as a first time flyer. 

I originally thought maybe Ds should go on Alaska or United, which give some more options, but pick up person thought it wasn’t worth the extra $ to do that.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pen said:

He was wearing a bright red t-shirt today.  Are things like T-shirt colors and so forth an issue for teen boys in regard to gangs In the Bay Area? 

A bit outdated but still relevant. https://www.ousd.org/cms/lib/CA01001176/Centricity/Domain/81/Handbook-Appendix_9_8_FINAL.pdf

58 minutes ago, Pen said:

I wonder if there’s a way to use internet to watch actual departure times (and arrivals at OAK) of the flight Ds is supposed to take to see how often and how long it tends to be delayed.  

https://www.oaklandairport.com/airlines/flight-status/

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

Helpful on pictures.  Very different gang groups than tend to be on my radar.   A’s caps are considered gang emblems?  

29 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

Excellent!!!   Thanks.  

I just went through last month of arrivals . Usually they do seem to be delayed but only rarely more than an hour.  One seemed to have been delayed more than 12 hours.  I’m trying to recall what was going on then.  Wild fires possibly 

9 hours ago, Pen said:

I wonder if there’s a way to use internet to watch actual departure times (and arrivals at OAK) of the flight Ds is supposed to take to see how often and how long it tends to be delayed.  

I have the FlightAware App installed on my Android phone.  I have the Free version and have been using it for a long time. You can do many things with that App.   Sometimes, I am just curious to see which flight is overflying our house or very near it.

You can monitor, among other things: The time the aircraft pushed back from the Departure Gate, took off from the departure airport, landed at the destination airport and arrived at the Arrival Gate. It shows the Gate Numbers and the ETA and whether or not there are delays at either airport.  You can follow the progress of the flight in  real-time, with the "ADS-B" information from the aircraft transponder. Altitude, Ground Speed, ETA (time it expects to land) and see on a map where it is.

There are 3 SPIRIT flights I am interested in. The flight DD will take to Fort Lauderdale (which almost always leaves early) and the connecting flight which leaves 6 hours later (a very long daytime connection is IMO better than a tight connection) I believe is frequently delayed. It is scheduled to leave in the late afternoon.  

One of the things you can see with the App is the performance of the "Inbound" aircraft. I worked in the Scheduling Department for a major U.S. flag airline when I was young. I guarantee you, if there is no aircraft available, the flight will be delayed or canceled.

Now, to answer your question about typical flight performance of a particular flight, yes, that information is available.  Accidentally, I found that, in the App, for one of the 3 flights, 2 or 3 days ago, but I haven't been able to figure out how to do, that since then...    I know that information is available, in the FlightAware App and in other Apps, but am not sure how to do that at this moment.  I want to learn how to do that... What do I click on and in what sequence?

I understand the arrival time was suggested by the person who is going to meet him at OAK and have my  fingers crossed everything will go perfectly.

• Thanks 1

I  googled for average flight arrival time of the 2nd flight my DD will take. Same airline, but in the late afternoon, which means there is probably more traffic on the airport, there may be Thunderstorms, but probably the most common reason for flight delays is that the Inbound aircraft is late arriving into that airport...  This is the information for the average delay in the past week:

The web site is airportia.com which I had never visited before. Later I will sit down with my phone and try to figure out how to see that kind of information in the FlightAware App.  I know it is there, but I don't know how to get to that information.

"The flight distance is 1098 km / 682 miles and the average flight speed is 526 km/h / 327 mph. In the last 30 days, the average delay of the flight was 18 minutes and the flight was on-time 37% of the times. The average flight time is 2 hours and 5 minutes."   (NOTE: What they show for flight time is  gate to gate. The actual flight time is approximately 90 minutes, wheels up to wheels down)

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Lanny said:

"The flight distance is 1098 km / 682 miles and the average flight speed is 526 km/h / 327 mph. In the last 30 days, the average delay of the flight was 18 minutes and the flight was on-time 37% of the times. The average flight time is 2 hours and 5 minutes."   (NOTE: What they show for flight time is  gate to gate. The actual flight time is approximately 90 minutes, wheels up to wheels down)

From this and the OAK site @Arcadia linked it looks like the flight Ds is booked on is less frequent than I had thought (only some weekdays, not daily).  It has an average delay of 13 minutes, is delayed 50% of time.

Just as interesting, the last time it flew it seems to have both departed and arrived early.  

Early wasn’t something I’d considered 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pen said:

From this and the OAK site @Arcadia linked it looks like the flight Ds is booked on is less frequent than I had thought (only some weekdays, not daily).  It has an average delay of 13 minutes, is delayed 50% of time.

Just as interesting, the last time it flew it seems to have both departed and arrived early.  

Two reactions to what you wrote above. If someone is going between 2 cities and there are very frequent flights between those 2 cities, if a flight is delayed or canceled, the passengers can be reaccomodated on other flights. If there are a lot of passengers, it can be a PITA, but they will eventually be reaccomodated.  If flights between a city pair are rare and something goes wrong, it can be far more problematic, to get the passengers to where they are going. The bottom line for that is that if the driving distance/time from where you live, to Portland International (PDX) is not much more than than going to Eugene, I  suggest that you rethink this and send your DS from PDX. 

About flights departing early. That's extremely common here, especially with International flights to/from Colombia.  The flight my DD will take is scheduled to leave the Gate (Push Back) at 6 A.M.  However, I know it usually leaves early. I suspect they close the Door at about 530 A.M.   I suggested to her that she try to be at the Departure Gate at 5 A.M.     I have seen signs, for example at the gate in Orlando for a flight to Bogota, "Door closes 20 minutes before departure" and that is printed on the Boarding Passes.  If someone gets to the departure gate after that time, it is the problem of the passenger...

Here's the worst case: Someone books a tight connection. Then, there is a schedule change. The first flight leaves later. The second flight leaves earlier. The passenger is toast.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pen said:

Early departure is normal if everyone is checked in at the boarding gate and the runway is cleared for takeoff. Early arrival depends on runway and gate availability at the arrival airport.

• Like 2

To depart early, the aircraft will need clearance from ground control to "Push Back" from the Gate.  After that, many things may impact whether or not the flight arrives "on-time" which is within 15 minutes of the published schedule for the flight.

After push back, the aircraft must taxi to the runway and then will take off depending on other departing aircraft, and arrivals. Taxi time for a particular airport may normally be 10 minutes, but on a given day it might take 12 minutes or 30 minutes.   After that, headwind will  affect the Ground Speed of the aircraft. Traffic, weather, etc., are involved.  Things like Thunderstorms at or near an airport can and do require that departing aircraft are held at their origin airport, for 15 to 30 or however many minutes the FAA needs to handle the traffic.  Runway construction such as is currently underway on the main runway in Fort Lauderdale can impact operations.   Many things...

Any passenger who gets to the Departure Gate late risks missing their flight because the Door is closed and/or the aircraft has already departed from the Departure Gate.  Be at the Departure Gate early and listen to the announcements!

• Thanks 1

If he has never flown and he and/or you are very nervous about making sure he doesn't have a problem getting through security and to his gate, you can get a pass to accompany him to the gate.

He won't have to take off a belt if it doesn't have metal in it.  He won't have to take off glasses. He won't have to empty his pockets unless he has coins or something else that will set off the detector.  I completely understand that the whole airport experience can be nervous-making for someone who isn't accustomed to it, but it is pretty straight-forward. He should arrive early so he doesn't need to stress about missing his flight if in case there is a back up at security or he loses his way.  Everything will be fine. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, bibiche said:

If he has never flown and he and/or you are very nervous about making sure he doesn't have a problem getting through security and to his gate, you can get a pass to accompany him to the gate.

I think I’m going to give him the choice of whether he wants me or not.   I plan to at least stay at airport till plane leaves as I’d rather be there in event of cancellation than have to drive back again

my own preference would be for him to go himself.  I can be called by cellphone if there’s a problem, but I’d be less worried about his whole trip if he can handle the departure airport logistics on his own

He won't have to take off a belt if it doesn't have metal in it.  He won't have to take off glasses. He won't have to empty his pockets unless he has coins or something else that will set off the detector.  I completely understand that the whole airport experience can be nervous-making for someone who isn't accustomed to it, but it is pretty straight-forward. He should arrive early so he doesn't need to stress about missing his flight if in case there is a back up at security or he loses his way. 

Absent some major road problems, We’ll arrive the full 2 hour early recommended.  And our departure airport is very, very small.  

I think it would be hard to get lost.  Though  I do recall getting lost in the general airport area trying to find Civil Air Patrol when I thought he might like CAP.   

And with probably only around about 2 dozen departure flights all day hard to imagine getting terribly backed up at security. 

Everything will be fine. 🙂

Thanks for the assurances!  

That’s helpful.  I was reading a fiction book in which main character (a generally competent adult) is pickpocketed of all his money, ID, credit cards, cellphone when he travels to an unknown city...

that plus people frightening me about Allegiant reliability was definitely getting me anxious.  

I don’t want to convey anxiety to Ds!

Edited by Pen
  • Like 1

I just did a very quick and cursory check, using Google Flights, for flights on 26 June 2019, from PDX to OAK and also from EUG to OAK.  It looks like the Allegiant flight from EUG is much less expensive, but you always must  compare "apples to apples" and add in any extra cost  items.   The Allegiant flight is  scheduled into OAK at 919 P.M. as I recall.

Regarding reliability: With ANY airline, the later in the day, the more likely there is to be difficulty.  Also, if the flight is from a city a long way from the airline headquarters, there is a lower possibility of them having a spare aircraft available that they can send to rescue passengers of a flight that has been canceled.

I know of Allegiant and assume that it is like SPIRIT and that they charge for EVERYTHING.  As long as you know that, before you begin the booking transaction, you will be fine. Always compare apples with apples.

The Security inspections vary, from airport to airport and who is doing the inspecting and something I read above made me believe what the poster described was lax and dangerous.  Here, yes, I need to empty my pockets. Yes, I need to take off my belt. Everything goes in the plastic bins.  Yes, my wife had to take off her shoes.

An hour or so ago, I searched and found 2 Security pockets I'd purchased, years ago, and at least one of them is Brand New. I think the other one is too.  They are very different. One goes around your neck. I have more confidence in that one. The other one goes around your waist.  I have a fear, possibly unfounded, that one might drop to the ground and one wouldn't be aware that it dropped and would lose everything. I gave both of them to my DD and suggested that she and her Mother inspect them and decide whether or not to use one or both of them.

37 minutes ago, Lanny said:

I just did a very quick and cursory check, using Google Flights, for flights on 26 June 2019, from PDX to OAK and also from EUG to OAK.  It looks like the Allegiant flight from EUG is much less expensive, but you always must  compare "apples to apples" and add in any extra cost  items.   The Allegiant flight is  scheduled into OAK at 919 P.M. as I recall.

Yes.  I do realize every little thing is “extra”.  Especially if compared with Alaska or United.

PDX is something people in this area do, especially for destinations or situations where Eugene isn’t very feasible—but it’s 4 hours more driving round trip.  

Regarding reliability: With ANY airline, the later in the day, the more likely there is to be difficulty.  Also, if the flight is from a city a long way from the airline headquarters, there is a lower possibility of them having a spare aircraft available that they can send to rescue passengers of a flight that has been canceled.

I suppose another option for us might be asking for money back and rescheduling on another airline, or back to train concept.  Or if stranding g is at SF end, I guess even return via Greyhound bus would be possible.  It at least won’t be like being stranded at a layover airport with no contacts in the area.  

I know of Allegiant and assume that it is like SPIRIT and that they charge for EVERYTHING.  As long as you know that, before you begin the booking transaction, you will be fine. Always compare apples with apples.

The Security inspections vary, from airport to airport and who is doing the inspecting and something I read above made me believe what the poster described was lax and dangerous.  Here, yes, I need to empty my pockets. Yes, I need to take off my belt. Everything goes in the plastic bins.  Yes, my wife had to take off her shoes.

I think Ds will go beltless (other than the pocket belt) .  And I’ll probably suggest he look at a going through security you tube.

An hour or so ago, I searched and found 2 Security pockets I'd purchased, years ago, and at least one of them is Brand New. I think the other one is too.  They are very different. One goes around your neck. I have more confidence in that one. The other one goes around your waist.  I have a fear, possibly unfounded, that one might drop to the ground and one wouldn't be aware that it dropped and would lose everything. I gave both of them to my DD and suggested that she and her Mother inspect them and decide whether or not to use one or both of them.

Personally, I’d use both if headed to college in USA— neck one  tucked into clothes is probably more secure.  I’d probably use it for important back up stuff. But I would not want a lot of weight hanging from my neck. 

waist can handle more weight, is more easily accessible, and especially on a girl may be stopped from falling by hips or clothing.

the one I got Ds is stretchy and looks like it would stay up because of the stretching, even if used for running    And if tucked under shirt probably pretty secure from theft too

when I was college age and did more traveling, including going off to college by plane, I had a vest with many pockets which was a big help

this sort of thing:

Humvee HMV-VS-K-M Medium Cotton Safari Vest with Extra Pockets, Khaki https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000VAOEMY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_EFTbDb6M1NP7K

I see nowadays there are ones with RFID protection and security pockets too

where is your dd going to be?

Edited by Pen
  • Like 1

@Pen:  If driving round trip to PDX requires 4 more hours, I think you should stay with EUG and Allegiant.

I would not suggest the train, for various reasons, including security and safety, unless your DS  wants to look out the window at the scenery and that's fine, if he is very patient and not in a hurry to get where he's going.

Allegiant will be fine, as long as you understand what they charge extra for.

Do the web Check-In and Print his Boarding Pass for the flight from EUG to OAK as soon as Allegiant permits that.  Before his return, he should do the same for the return flight.  Airlines usually permit Web Check-In a maximum of 24 to 48 hours before the scheduled departure. 

I will suggest to my DD and wife that they consider her using both of the Security Pockets I found yesterday. (She will be going to UNC)

If your DS does watch 2 or 3 YouTube Videos, regarding the airport check-in, the airport Security, and an actual flight, that might help him when he makes the trip. If those videos involve Allegiant, that will be even better. Good idea!   Going by air will open up the world to your DS.

Edited by Lanny
Added one sentence to last paragraph
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, bibiche said:

He won't have to take off a belt if it doesn't have metal in it.  He won't have to take off glasses. He won't have to empty his pockets unless he has coins or something else that will set off the detector.  I completely understand that the whole airport experience can be nervous-making for someone who isn't accustomed to it, but it is pretty straight-forward. He should arrive early so he doesn't need to stress about missing his flight if in case there is a back up at security or he loses his way.  Everything will be fine. 🙂

I agree with everything in your post except for this. We had to empty our pockets completely. It's a new thing. Or perhaps it varies, depending upon airport. But he should be prepared to have to do it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Storygirl said:

I wouldn't change the plans to take a train instead. He will be fine!! Both of you may feel nervous, but after it all works out, he will have a new life skill, and it will be great for him.

And @Lanny

I’m not planning to change to train now.  Just thinking if the flight were cancelled, it would be another option for transportation .  Especially if stranded in SF and needing to get home.  

Edited by Pen
  • Like 2

@OP I read most of the article linked to.  Would I prefer that the flight was on SPIRIT and not on Allegiant?  Yes, of course I would prefer that he go on SPIRIT.

SPIRIT has a very young fleet in age of the average aircraft. Probably the youngest fleet of the major U.S. air carriers.

However, when I made that cursory check last night, going on SPIRIT would as I recall, require him going down to Las Vegas, and making a connection, to get to OAK. I would not recommend that he do that.

Without going into detail, I will tell you that I have been interested in Airline Safety for *many* years. 

If the drive from my house, round trip, to the Eugene airport would take "n" hours and the drive to PDX would take "n" +4 hours, I would fly from Eugene.

I would go nonstop, from Eugene to Oakland, on Allegiant.  If another airline has a nonstop flight, I would look into that as an alternate, depending on the fare differential.

I do not see alarm in the fact that on one particular day, 5 of 99 aircraft reported issues. That is IMO a coincidence and many other days, probably no issues were reported by Allegiant crews.

You can read the reports of airline flight issues on Aviation Herald. Many of them are Bird Strikes.    Many are for fumes in the passenger cabin or in the cockpit. Here's the  URL:  http://avherald.com/

I looked at all of the titles for the reports on the first page on avherald. As of this moment, none of the reports on that page involve Allegiant flights.

IMO the idea of you finding 2 or 3 "YouTube" videos to watch is excellent. Preferably videos involving the Eugene Airport, the Security Check (if they permit people to film that) and the Allegiant check-in procedure. One involving an Allegiant flight would be nice.

He will learn and grow from this trip by himself!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Lanny said:

You can read the reports of airline flight issues on Aviation Herald. Many of them are Bird Strikes.    Many are for fumes in the passenger cabin or in the cockpit. Here's the  URL:  http://avherald.com/

I looked at all of the titles for the reports on the first page on avherald. As of this moment, none of the reports on that page involve Allegiant flights.

I liked seeing that!  No Allegiant flights.  And one Alaska at PDX with problems— as in I could go to PDX , have him take a more expensive higher rated airline ... and still have problems 

which I know, but is helpful to read that things people complain about regarding Allegiant are happening with Alaska, United, American , non budget airlines too

30 minutes ago, Lanny said:

IMO the idea of you finding 2 or 3 "YouTube" videos to watch is excellent. Preferably videos involving the Eugene Airport, the Security Check (if they permit people to film that) and the Allegiant check-in procedure. One involving an Allegiant flight would be nice.

He will learn and grow from this trip by himself!

Yes.  I expect he will!

7 hours ago, Storygirl said:

I agree with everything in your post except for this. We had to empty our pockets completely. It's a new thing. Or perhaps it varies, depending upon airport. But he should be prepared to have to do it.

I dunno. I have been in I've-lost-count-how-many airports on three continents in the past month and a half and did not once empty my pockets beyond taking out coins. 🤷‍♀️

But yes, he should be prepared to empty his pockets.  And I forgot to mention earlier that he shouldn't worry if he is chosen for additional screening  - it happens, it's usually random, and is no reason to fret. 

Edited by bibiche

30 minutes ago, bibiche said:

I dunno. I have been in I've-lost-count-how-many airports on three continents in the past month and a half and did not once empty my pockets beyond taking out coins. 🤷‍♀️

But yes, he should be prepared to empty his pockets.  And I forgot to mention earlier that he shouldn't worry if he is chosen for additional screening  - it happens, it's usually random, and is no reason to fret. 

As young, plus male, plus mixed race he may be more likely to get extra scrutiny 

I think the emptying the pockets requirement is related to going through the full body scanner instead of the traditional walk through metal detector. The airports we went through had everyone going through the full body scanners, and the walk through metal detectors were not in use.

9 minutes ago, Storygirl said:

Yikes. I'm glad I didn't know that before our recent trip.We've only flown on Allegiant the one time.

The link Lanny sent was pretty reassuring.  Lots of incidents, none involving Allegiant over last few days

• Like 2

I just checked on Google Flights again, from EUG to OAK, on 26 June 2019.  I think the Allegiant flight is the only Nonstop flight that day? If that is correct, this is a no-brainer.  He needs to go on the Allegiant Nonstop flight from EUG to OAK.  He will be probably 5 million or 10 million times safer, per mile, than he will be in the car on the way to the EUG airport.

Google flights shows the aircraft is an Airbus A319 which is one of the smaller of the 4  models in the A320 family.  My DD will go up to Fort Lauderdale in an A319.  (A318 is the smallest, then the A319, then the A320 and then the A321 which is the biggest of the family)

They show the scheduled travel time as 1 hour 24 minutes, which I assume includes the time on the ground, taxiing to and from the runway.

11 minutes ago, Lanny said:

I just checked on Google Flights again, from EUG to OAK, on 26 June 2019.  I think the Allegiant flight is the only Nonstop flight that day? If that is correct, this is a no-brainer.  He needs to go on the Allegiant Nonstop flight from EUG to OAK.  He will be probably 5 million or 10 million times safer, per mile, than he will be in the car on the way to the EUG airport.

Google flights shows the aircraft is an Airbus A319 which is one of the smaller of the 4  models in the A320 family.  My DD will go up to Fort Lauderdale in an A319.  (A318 is the smallest, then the A319, then the A320 and then the A321 which is the biggest of the family)

They show the scheduled travel time as 1 hour 24 minutes, which I assume includes the time on the ground, taxiing to and from the runway.

The A319 part I like.  They have a very low crash history.  

Allegiant has the only EUG to OAK nonstops currently  

But not the only choice

United has a nonstop EUG to SFO at roughly same time (arrival fitting after work schedule on SF end).  Probably in an E75.  

My half-brother helped make the Allegiant booking and said he’s had just as many problems with United as Allegiant.  And that for a short flight for a short stay, Allegiant should be fine.  It was done fast grabbing the last $120 ish round trip seat on Allegiant without my having thinking or research time.  

The United round trip flight would be over $300 maybe over $400 by comparison (though including carry on, beverages etc at no extra cost).  With no guarantee that it would not itself be the rare flight with troubles. 

Probably both flights will do just fine.  

• Like 1

He should go on the Allegiant flight from EUG to OAK in the A319...

I don't know what an E75 is.  OK, I googled, it is an Embraer. I think those are from Brazil and are excellent aircraft?  It has fewer seats than an A319, so fewer opportunities for discounted ticket prices. 

The Airbus A320 family aircraft are much more comfortable for the Pilots and they are easy to fly (highly automated) in contrast to for example, a Boeing 737 which uses mostly very dated technology. The Boeing 737 cockpit is very cramped for the Pilots.

And the comparison with United... In the latest AQR (Airline Quality Report) which came out a few months ago, of the 9 largest U.S. carriers, United was 6, Spirit was 7, American was 8, etc.  

• Thanks 1