Menu

Help: Packing “one personal item” for teen boy for plane

Pen

I Haven’t flown with stuff since last millennium.  Ds will be flying on Allegiant, a budget airline allowing 6”x16”x15” max dimensions for just one on board “personal item”.  We’re still measuring, but think all packs we own are too big, so I’ll probably get him this: AmazonBasics Classic School Backpack - Grey https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013TGESIQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_0Fr.Cb3T5ZVZ9  to pack in.  It’s 16x13x6.   If another option under $20 is better, please let me know. 

Destination San Francisco. 4 days there. 

We’re thinking he should wear bulkiest items, jeans and jacket, pack underwear, socks, toothbrush, toothpaste, hairbrush, deodorant, t-shirts and shorts and maybe a pair of long comfortable gym pants.  Nothing dressy needed.  Anything I’m missing?  Ah, maybe a bar form soap/shampoo item? 

And we could conceivably send things we might need direct from Amazon to SF (like a solid rather than liquid deodorant, maybe an inexpensive towel).   A link to a good “not allowed” on planes  list would be helpful. 

Also would appreciate advice for carrying valuables on such a trip: iPhone, Identification, Wallet, for teen who has had troubles with pocket failures.  Floppy shorts with pockets that gape sort of problem. 

ETA: we can send things direct to other end for this trip, but maybe not doing so would help as practice for Possible future trips where that can’t be done. 

TIA!

Edited by Pen
  • Like 1

My daughter and I are packing right now for an overseas trip with a large group of teens.   My son did a similar overseas trip a couple years ago.

One thing I required for my son when he went was that he wore a neck pouch with his money, ID, phone (sometimes he had that in a good pocket).  That worked great for him.  He had no problem at all.  Something like this ... just measure his phone to make sure that will fit.  Something like a money belt could potentially work well too.  I went on a trip in high school and we were all required to have one.  You also need to be careful about hotel keys and phones though - sometimes those magnetic things don't mix with phones.  

https://www.amazon.com/Venture-Travel-Neck-Pouch-Blocking/dp/B01FWC56RW/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?keywords=travel+neck+pouch&qid=1560092735&s=gateway&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/EAZYMATE-Fashion-Running-Belt-Smartphones/dp/B0150WC0C8/ref=sr_1_8?keywords=travel+waist+wallet&qid=1560093104&s=gateway&sr=8-8

My daughter needs a small personal item bag too.  She is bringing an instrument as a carry on so the airlines could be super fussy.  I ordered a couple of these for us to take.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PD2X4G6/ref=ox_sc_act_title_7?smid=AVPZ0AQMQHIOB&psc=1

What I like about those is they can easily pack down, fit into another bag and be an extra day pack at the destination.  My kids definitely don't need another school style backpack, but I can see us regularly packing and using these for travel.  I'm packing a backpack with a laptop and other tech stuff (I'm the tech person on the trip so necessary for me).  It will be nice just having an extra day pack I can throw a sweater, sun screen, etc into when we get there.   This bag is a tiny bit big for underseat but my daughter is going to pack hers light for the plane.  

• Like 2

That size bag is larger than what I travel with, sometimes for weeks at a time. I cannot imagine a teen boy needing more space (for only 4 days!). For that short of a trip to SF, DS would pack a pair of pants, an extra long sleeve shirt and an extra t shirt, plus socks and so on. Deodorant, toothpaste/brush and face soap are all he needs for toiletries. His phone, earbuds and a battery pack are all he needs for entertainment. His wallet is on him always anyway. He would wear his jacket on the plane.

Why would his destination not provide a towel and soap? If truly it doesn't, a microfibre towel and a hotel soap take up no space to include.

Packing lightly makes travelling so much easier. 

• Like 5

Is not filling a larger item allowed? Or do they go by the items potential dimensions and assess a (in this case $75) fee for oversized item?

Ds has a lightweight pack similar to one in post by @FuzzyCatz that is 19” tall, so over the allowed size, but that he could just partly fill. 

• Like 1

What does he need there? My kids need much less stuff for 4 days of vacation. We had two laptop backpacks for four people for our one week Niagara Falls Canada trip and that’s typical for us.

laptop/tablet - depending on whether he needs those 

a change of clothes - roll them up and it doesn’t take much space in a backpack.

Toothbrush/toothpaste - we used the one provided in airplane toilets. They have toiletry kits containing disposable shaver, comb, toothpaste, toothbrush there.

Bring a reusable grocery bag, something like this which is very compact when not in use https://www.amazon.com/ChicoBag-Original-Reusable-Shopping-Grocery/dp/B006WA9LRA

There are many convenient stores (Walgreens, 7Eleven) in SF. I won’t be worried about not being able to buy something if he forgets to pack it. 

Also check with the airline. Ours didn’t care about the actual size of the bag/backpack as long as it can be squashed into the “measuring cage” at the boarding pass desk or they charge a check in fee. Our small duffel bags were half filled and easily squashable.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, MEmama said:

That size bag is larger than what I travel with, sometimes for weeks at a time. I cannot imagine a teen boy needing more space (for only 4 days!). For that short of a trip to SF, DS would pack a pair of pants, an extra long sleeve shirt and an extra t shirt, plus socks and so on. Deodorant, toothpaste/brush and face soap are all he needs for toiletries. His phone, earbuds and a battery pack are all he needs for entertainment. His wallet is on him always anyway. He would wear his jacket on the plane.

Why would his destination not provide a towel and soap? If truly it doesn't, a microfibre towel and a hotel soap take up no space to include.

Packing lightly makes travelling so much easier. 

ah, sorry, let me explain 

I last flew any significant flights where I needed anything in a bag back in the early 1990’s.  Prior to current NSA restrictions, and on airlines like United that weren’t so very restrictive as to size for items onboard.  Even most budget airlines allow 2” larger personal items than Allegiant..  

I’m trying to get specifics on what will work and won’t violate ultra budget airline policies for personal item, or cause NSA troubles.  

For example: I don’t know if he can take his usual liquid roll on deodorant or if we have to get a solid.  (I have a vague sense that “liquids” aren’t allowed.)  and unfortunately Ds has hair that needs a brush, not comb, so that’s bulkier. 

Soap/shampoo needs to be fragrance free so that I am less likely to have an illness flare up from trying to get him back home from return flight.  Second hand products clinging to him will be bad enough.

(I have a disability and chronic illness which includes fragrance product and other chemical intolerances and haven’t been out of my own county for a decade. And only in my own, chemically safe enough for me vehicle.)

I’ll ask his destination if they have a spare towel.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Arcadia said:

What does he need there? My kids need much less stuff for 4 days of vacation. We had two laptop backpacks for four people for our one week Niagara Falls Canada trip and that’s typical for us.

laptop/tablet - depending on whether he needs those 

He’ll be fine with just his cellphone. 

a change of clothes - roll them up and it doesn’t take much space in a backpack.

Okay good. 👌 

Toothbrush/toothpaste - we used the one provided in airplane toilets. They have toiletry kits containing disposable shaver, comb, toothpaste, toothbrush there.

I’m sure his airplane won’t have things like that.  

He’ll be staying with someone in a small (probably funky) apartment where I would not expect there to be toiletry extras for guests.

Bring a reusable grocery bag, something like this which is very compact when not in use https://www.amazon.com/ChicoBag-Original-Reusable-Shopping-Grocery/dp/B006WA9LRA

👌

There are many convenient stores (Walgreens, 7Eleven) in SF. I won’t be worried about not being able to buy something if he forgets to pack it. 

👌

Also check with the airline. Ours didn’t care about the actual size of the bag/backpack as long as it can be squashed into the “measuring cage” at the boarding pass desk or they charge a check in fee. Our small duffel bags were half filled and easily squashable.

👌

• Like 1

Roll clothing for most efficient packing.  Get tiny toiletries.  Wear sweatshirt/jacket, like you mentioned.  Cargo pants/shorts with velcro closures are great for wallet/phone/keys.  He should easily be able to get everything into a backpack of that size.

• Like 3

I fly allegiant.   I have never been stopped and had them measure my personal item.  As long as it fits under the seat I was fine.  It was seriously a big backpack last time and no one blinked.  

I would not buy a special bag for the trip (unless he will use it frequently afterwards) but use a soft sided backpack or duffle that he could squeeze down to those measurements if needed.

He can bring liquids.  Just needs to be under 3 oz each item and all liquid items must fit on a quart size zip lock.

• Thanks 1

You can slice off a bit of your regular non scented soap for him to take--no need to take a big bar. Or, if he normally uses a shower gel instead, he can take up to 3 ounces ( but really only needs to take far less for only 4 days). That way you can be sure he didn't use any with fragrance that might bother you when he gets home. Any container 3 oz or fewer will work. 

If you don't have a packable microfibre towel and whoever he's staying with really won't have a spare, a hand towel or dish towel would pack up small and get the job done. Plus they are cheap and could be left behind so he doesn't have to carry a wet towel home.

eta: he can take a travel sized roll on deodorant. Or just have him buy one there and leave it behind if can't stand solids. Razors are no problem, nor is travel sized shaving cream. Truly, the restrictions aren't onerous.

Edited by MEmama
  • Like 1

I would just use a backpack he already has, or if he doesn't have one, buy a cheapo from WalMart or your neighborhood drug store.

Give him cash or a gift card to buy what he may forget or what can't be packed.

I think it's unlikely he'll need a towel or bath soap, if he's staying with a friend or in a hotel.  Shampoo, only if he has a particular brand he needs.

I would pack less than 1 shirt per day, and give him money to buy one or more t-shirts as souvenirs.  If he isn't wearing sandals the whole time, pack 2 or 3 pairs of thin socks that he can hand wash and hang dry.

• Like 1

DD will be going on SPIRIT when she goes to university in the USA in August. SPIRIT charges extra for everything, including water.  We paid extra. for a "Big Front Seat" and for one checked bag and for one carry-on bag.  For her, the Free bag that can go under the seat in front of her is like a Purse or a Laptop bag in size.  In that, she will have her Passports (she must carry 2), her Boarding Passes, her Eyeglasses, possibly a Laptop, probably her Tablet, her Cell Phone and her magicJack. And, their AC Adapters.  A change of underwear would be nice, and her toothbrush, etc., in case her luggage is lost (unlikely) or she ends up somewhere unexpected, due to a flight diversion (Unlikely).   We went on one short flight, from Bogota to Cali, on an airline that is extremely restrictive last year (LAN Colombia, now known as LATAM for marketing purposes) and they are extremely restrictive and each of us had everything in a bag that could fit under the seat in front of us.  That was only for 3 nights and we survived, but it is much nicer to at the least be able to have a Carry-On to go into the overhead rack. We did not take a Laptop on that trip. DD had her Tablet and each of us had our cell phones and it was only for 3 days and we did fine. I remember much of one day, DD was studying for the SAT exam on her Tablet and plugged into the AC in the part of our room where the mini bar refrigerator and a table and chairs and a small sofa were set up. She took the SAT the morning after we returned to Cali, which is why we ended up on that LAN Colombia flight. I regret not going on Avianca that morning...  They permit checked luggage and carry-on, free.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Lanny said:

And, their AC Adapters. 

Ah.  Ds should take a charge cord and probably adapter since he has iPhone and he’ll be with someone whose cords won’t be compatible.  

A change of underwear would be nice, and her toothbrush, etc., in case her luggage is lost (unlikely)

My luggage was lost when I started university.   Found and delivered to me about 1.5 weeks later.  It was the only time I can recall having had luggage lost.   I had enough in carry on to be okay. Those were days of generous carry on 

or she ends up somewhere unexpected, due to a flight diversion (Unlikely).   We went on one short flight, from Bogota to Cali, on an airline that is extremely restrictive last year (LAN Colombia, now known as LATAM for marketing purposes) and they are extremely restrictive and each of us had everything in a bag that could fit under the seat in front of us.  That was only for 3 nights and we survived, but it is much nicer to at the least be able to have a Carry-On to go into the overhead rack.

Ds Ds will be there for 5 nights and the days between— I expect he’ll survive too.

If bag under seat can exceed the dimensions so long as it squashes into that small that’ll help a lot.  I can’t reach anyone by phone to confirm that for sure, but 🤞🏼

• Like 1

As long as the bag can squish to the dimensions (they are very unlikely to check if it looks close, and to a kid) it will be fine. I would not worry about going an inch or two over (or a few); he won't need to overstuff a reasonable size bag for four days. 

I always keep my bag under my seat and have had no trouble getting it to fit, even on super budget airlines like Ryanair and WOW. I enjoy the simplicity of not worrying about whether there will be space in the overhead compartment or not. (and I never, ever check a bag). Knowing I can be self sufficient keeps it free of stress for me. :)

• Like 3

The limit for liquids is 100 ml (3.4 ounces) for each item. Many roll-on deodorants are just over the limit — for example, Ban unscented roll-on is 103 ml/3.5 oz, and I have actually had TSA confiscate that. The Mitchum unscented is 3.4 oz if he prefers roll-on. Most stick deodorants are under 3 oz, so if he uses a stick it won't be an issue, but he should pack it with the liquids in the one allowed quart-sized zip-lock, because TSA can consider it a "paste" and the rule applies to all liquids, aerosols, gels, creams, and pastes. So toothpaste, hair gel, shaving cream, etc., would all have to fit in the quart-sized bag. I have even seen TSA confiscate things like peanutbutter and yogurt because they are the same consistency as "cream or paste" and the containers were over 3.4 oz! (Once when I had to travel internationally 2 days after emergency dental surgery, I had to leave all my toiletries at home and fill my one allowed zip-lock baggie with tubes of applesauce, since I couldn't eat the usual snacks on the plane!)

If Allegiant doesn't serve snacks, I would pack a couple of granola bars or Cliff bars or something. Bring a water bottle to fill up once he gets past security. A small portable phone charger (like this) is useful too, since people tend to use their phones for playing games, listening to music, or watching movies on planes, and if the flight is delayed or diverted, or the person meeting him is running late or whatever, the last thing you need is a dead phone.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We just flew on Allegiant, and they do not provide snacks for free. They do provide snacks and drinks for a fee. A can of soda was $2, and a bag of chips or candy was $3. They also had some combination snack packs for $5. I normally would not do this, but I bought one on our return trip, and it had a tiny Slim Jim, a bag of pretzels, a little cup of cheese dip, and a pack of cookies. They did not accept cash and needed a credit card for snack purchases on board.

He can take non-liquid snacks with him on the plane. He can buy a drink or soda once he gets through security or fill a water bottle at a drinking fountain.

I agree with putting the liquid toiletries in a quart sized ziploc bag; this is standard for all airlines, so you can google what to do.

He will just need to remember to remove that bag from his pack when he goes through security. I did forget to take my quart bag out this last time, and security did not flag my suitcase for screening.

Recently, we have had bags with snacks in them pulled aside for screening; for some reason having snacks is reason for extra screening, but it may just be if there are a lot of snacks, not just a random granola bar or two.. Let him know that if security tells him to step aside while they search his bag, that it is routine and not a reason to panic; just follow their directions. He will also need to remove the laptop, if he plans to carry one. Remember to pack double snacks, so he can have some for the trip home, as well.

He will also need to remove shoes to go through security and remove all things from all pockets. They don't even want a tissue in a pocket.

Does he have a driver's license? If he is traveling alone, he will need ID. Also, Allegiant charges $5 to print a boarding pass at the terminal, so he should print it at your home before he leaves, and if at all possible, print his return boarding pass within 24 hours of his return flight. If he cannot print the boarding pass for the return flight, he should be prepare to have to pay to do it at the airport.

For the backpack, they did not measure the personal items, and they were all fine as long as they fit underneath the seat in front of him. If it is too big to jam under there, no one would take note if he stowed it in the overhead compartment.

Remind him he will need to put his cell phone in airplane mode when the plane takes off.

Edited by Storygirl
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Storygirl said:

He can take non-liquid snacks with him on the plane. He can buy a drink or soda once he gets through security or fill a water bottle at a drinking fountain.

I’ll probably send some granola bars and he can get a drink after security, though if there aren’t delays it’s not a long flight. Only about 2 hours.  The trip south should be after he’s had dinner.  

The one up might be more of a problem for hunger if he hasn’t had a good breakfast.  I should probably have some food when I pick him up. 

If he needs something on board He has a debit card if they accept that. 

I agree with putting the liquid toiletries in a quart sized ziploc bag; this is standard for all airlines, so you can google what to do.

He will just need to remember to remove that bag from his pack when he goes through security. I did forget to take my quart bag out this last time, and security did not flag my suitcase for screening.

Recently, we have had bags with snacks in them pulled aside for screening; for some reason having snacks is reason for extra screening, but it may just be if there are a lot of snacks, not just a random granola bar or two.. Let him know that if security tells him to step aside while they search his bag, that it is routine and not a reason to panic; just follow their directions.

I’ll do that.  

He will also need to remove shoes to go through security and remove all things from all pockets. They don't even want a tissue in a pocket.

Really?! I’ll tell him.   If he has a cellphone and money belt type thing does he just take off the belt or have to empty each of its pockets?

Does he have a driver's license? If he is traveling alone, he will need ID. Also, Allegiant charges $5 to print a boarding pass at the terminal, so he should print it at your home before he leaves, and if at all possible, print his return boarding pass within 24 hours of his return flight. If he cannot print the boarding pass for the return flight, he should be prepare to have to pay to do it at the airport.

We’ll do our best for both ways.  

For the backpack, they did not measure the personal items, and they were all fine as long as they fit underneath the seat in front of him.

Excellent—big relief. 

If it is too big to jam under there, no one would take note if he stowed it in the overhead compartment.

Remind him he will need to put his cell phone in airplane mode when the plane takes off.

I was told possibly it needs to be all the way off, not just airplane mode.   ?

This is relevant to know for if he should have a real paper book or can entertain himself with cellphone. 

• Like 1

Allegiant in re cellphones:

. Portable radios, cell phones, and other such devices cannot be used during flight at any time. Even in 'airplane' mode, they may interfere with the navigation devices on the aircraft. “

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Pen said:

Allegiant in re cellphones:

. Portable radios, cell phones, and other such devices cannot be used during flight at any time. Even in 'airplane' mode, they may interfere with the navigation devices on the aircraft. “

Weird

I have flow allegiant 4 times in the past 5 months and people could use their laptops, cell phones, Kindles, etc on airplane mode once we were up to cruising.  They specifically announced when you could and when it was time to put them away.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Another helpful hints is to have him use the bathroom a few minutes before the listed boarding time on his boarding pass.  People don't always think of that and if there are delays sitting on the runway before take off it can be uncomfortable....ok, I am a mom with a small bladder so I made everyone in my party follow this rule...even if I am the only one likely to need it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ottakee said:

Another helpful hints is to have him use the bathroom a few minutes before the listed boarding time on his boarding pass.  People don't always think of that and if there are delays sitting on the runway before take off it can be uncomfortable....ok, I am a mom with a small bladder so I made everyone in my party follow this rule...even if I am the only one likely to need it.

Always a good idea to use the restroom in an airport, before going to the Departure Gate and much more comfortable than the restrooms on the aircraft.

One should *always* be at the Boarding Gate well before the published Departure Time of an aircraft.  That's the "push back" time and they may close the door ~20 minutes before that time and "push back" early and if a passenger isn't there before they close the door, that's the passengers fault.  That is something one should consider carefully, before scheduling "tight" connections.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Pen said:

Does he have a driver's license? If he is traveling alone, he will need

No. This is a problem.  

He might be allowed with birth certificate and a picture ID, but he lost his school picture ID.  Passport is expired. 

We are working on a getting some good ID item in time.  I’m about to look up State ID in lieu of DL.  

And he’s supposed to print out the Passport forms while at school. (He’s not eligible for renewal by mail because he was under 16 when he got prior passport.). I was holding onto the expired PP because even expired it is acceptable as ID at dmv for trying to get Learners Permit.  

The whole LP to learning to drive thing is a learning challenges challenge.  He’s afraid to take the test. He won’t read the manual...  It’s become a major focus for the summer for me to work on him with—sort of like remediation of dyslexia was back in 3rd grade.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pen said:

We are working on a getting some good ID item in time.  I’m about to look up State ID in lieu of DL.  

And he’s supposed to print out the Passport forms while at school. (He’s not eligible for renewal by mail because he was under 16 when he got prior passport.). 

I managed to get my state non-drivers Real ID within three weeks of applying. See if you have a DMV office nearby and do a walk in, queue up before they open.

USPS offices that do passports would have the forms. It’s possible to fill that out while in line. We went to the USPS office that did not require an appointment and waited about an hour for our turn (we reached around 3pm). Passports took three weeks for us in October but my friend who applied late May was told six to eight weeks is the norm now without expediting. 

22 hours ago, Lanny said:

DD will be going on SPIRIT when she goes to university in the USA in August. SPIRIT charges extra for everything, including water.  We paid extra. for a "Big Front Seat" and for one checked bag and for one carry-on bag.  For her, the Free bag that can go under the seat in front of her is like a Purse or a Laptop bag in size.  In that, she will have her Passports (she must carry 2), her Boarding Passes, her Eyeglasses, possibly a Laptop, probably her Tablet, her Cell Phone and her magicJack. And, their AC Adapters.  A change of underwear would be nice, and her toothbrush, etc., in case her luggage is lost (unlikely) or she ends up somewhere unexpected, due to a flight diversion (Unlikely).   We went on one short flight, from Bogota to Cali, on an airline that is extremely restrictive last year (LAN Colombia, now known as LATAM for marketing purposes) and they are extremely restrictive and each of us had everything in a bag that could fit under the seat in front of us.  That was only for 3 nights and we survived, but it is much nicer to at the least be able to have a Carry-On to go into the overhead rack. We did not take a Laptop on that trip. DD had her Tablet and each of us had our cell phones and it was only for 3 days and we did fine. I remember much of one day, DD was studying for the SAT exam on her Tablet and plugged into the AC in the part of our room where the mini bar refrigerator and a table and chairs and a small sofa were set up. She took the SAT the morning after we returned to Cali, which is why we ended up on that LAN Colombia flight. I regret not going on Avianca that morning...  They permit checked luggage and carry-on, free.

I tried sending you a message but for some reason that is not working :(

I saw in a post you mentioned your daughter is going to carry two passports.  Is that advisable?

I just paid the deposit down for a trip to Guatemala in February and am working on getting my passport (my last passport was in my maiden name and expired 5 years ago). Should I get two copies while I am doing it?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

I managed to get my state non-drivers Real ID within three weeks of applying. See if you have a DMV office nearby and do a walk in, queue up before they open.

USPS offices that do passports would have the forms. It’s possible to fill that out while in line. We went to the USPS office that did not require an appointment and waited about an hour for our turn (we reached around 3pm). Passports took three weeks for us in October but my friend who applied late May was told six to eight weeks is the norm now without expediting. 

Our state does not have real ID yet.  I called dmv this morning.  Sounds like he’s in their computer system already with residency established. 🤞🏼So we can take passport and forms to USPS and if that’s not back in time go to DMV and will have a temporary state ID to go home with.  Forms for him tend to complicated due to adoption , name changes etc.  I ‘d prefer to fill at home, but maybe looking online at what’s needed I could be prepared to do it in the city. 

There’s a small town USPS closer to our rural area that theoretically can do passports, but they’ve lost so much mail I don’t trust them.  

In the closest decent size city there’s only one option by appointment only and Ds will need to miss his first class or two at school.  

2 hours ago, Pen said:

He might be allowed with birth certificate and a picture ID, but he lost his school picture ID.  Passport is expired. 

How expired is the passport?  Depending on when it expired, it may be able to be used for domestic travel.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, GGardner said:

How expired is the passport?  Depending on when it expired, it may be able to be used for domestic travel.

United who answers phone said yes, but he still needs a photo ID that’s recent.  Which he lost.

Expedite fee for passport is more $ than a state ID, and still not certain to be back in time.  so I think we’ll go get the State ID.  Maybe DS will try taking the Permit exam while at DMV.   This week! 

• Like 1

Yes, he will need to take off his money belt when going through security. Also any sweatshirt or jacket that he may be wearing (not a pull over sweatshirt, but it is the zip kind). He can put the money belt and anything else in a plastic bin that they will have stacked by the conveyor belt. Cell phone will have to go in that bin, too, unless he tucks it in his backpack. If he wears a belt, they may ask him to take it off, due to the buckle. The security personnel are used to people not knowing what to do and will call out instructions to the whole line -- "everyone check your pockets and remove all items" --  and they will also answer questions if he has one. We didn't used to have to completely empty pockets, but the last few times I have had to. If he has trouble tying shoes or getting them on and off, think of having him wear something that is easy. After he is through security, he can grab his shoes and items and step a little bit away to put his shoes back on, so that he is not blocking the person behind him.

It all sounds confusing, but everyone there will be doing all of the exact same things that he has to do, so he can kind of follow-the-leader.

I bet you could find a video online showing what the process looks like, so that he can see ahead of time. Just be sure that it is recent, because rules and procedures change.

Oh, when he gets in line for security, he will need to have his boarding pass and his ID in his hand, because an agent will look at them before letting him proceed to the baggage check.

• Like 3

The state ID sounds like the best option. Now that he is over 16, when you renew his passport, it will be good for 10 years. It is good to have an active passport, in my opinion.

Getting a driver's license is hard when there are learning challenges. We are preparing for it to be hard for DS15. As a person with disabilities, he actually qualifies for some help with it through our state and county disability programs, if he ends up needing it. He can get tutoring for the temp exam (here, he has to pass the written test of laws before getting his temps) if he has trouble passing it. He can get adaptive driving lessons, if he needs them. These things are expensive, but his funding can cover some of it if necessary. I'm kind of hoping his interest in getting a license is delayed, because I think it will be easier when he is a little older. I don't know if you have looked into these kind of state and county services where you live; I thought I'd mention that they might exist. He would have to qualify.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Pen said:

No. This is a problem.  

And he’s supposed to print out the Passport forms while at school. (He’s not eligible for renewal by mail because he was under 16 when he got prior passport.). I was holding onto the expired PP because even expired it is acceptable as ID at dmv for trying to get Learners Permit.  

The whole LP to learning to drive thing is a learning challenges challenge.  He’s afraid to take the test. He won’t read the manual...  It’s become a major focus for the summer for me to work on him with—sort of like remediation of dyslexia was back in 3rd grade.  

IMO the Expired U.S. Passport is the best ID he has at this time, but they may not accept an expired ID.  Yes, the first U.S. Passport for an Adult (I think that starts at 17 for Passport purposes(?) is more expensive and requires additional paperwork. My DD did that last year.

BTW: Never discard an expired passport. Always retain your expired passports.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, vonfirmath said:

I tried sending you a message but for some reason that is not working 😞

I saw in a post you mentioned your daughter is going to carry two passports.  Is that advisable?

I just paid the deposit down for a trip to Guatemala in February and am working on getting my passport (my last passport was in my maiden name and expired 5 years ago). Should I get two copies while I am doing it?

1 hour ago, vonfirmath said:

Sorry for the ambiguity...   My DD has Double Nationality (Dual Citizenship), which is recognized by both countries involved (Colombia and the USA).  Both countries require those who are citizens to leave/arrive in that country, using their Passport from that country.  In her case it isn't a matter of being "advisable", it is required by law. So, when she leaves Colombia, she will use her Colombian Passport, and when she arrives in the USA, she will use her U.S. Passport. 

I don't think the U.S. Passport agency would issue you two (2) Passport Books that are concurrently valid.  However, what they might do, I think they would do this, would be to issue a Passport Book and a Passport Card, that are concurrently valid.  The Passport Card has limited validity. I think that's for people who cross the Canadian or Mexican borders (?) with frequency and/or people going to certain Caribbean destinations.   The Passport Card has limited validity. The Passport Book is good everywhere.

I hope that you will enjoy your trip to Guatemala.  I strongly suggest that you pay close attention to "current events"  in the places you plan to visit, whichever country you are going to visit.  And, read the latest "Travel Advisory" or "Travel Warning" on the web site of the U.S. State Department, or, on the web site of the U.S. Embassy in the country you will be visiting. Register, on the web site of the ACS (American Citizen Services), of the U.S. Embassy, before your trip begins. 

• Like 1

Oh, I forgot to answer the question about putting the phone on airplane mode (I see that someone else responded, but I'll chime in). On our flight last week on Allegiant, they just said to put the phones in airplane mode, and then we could use them. But it would be good for him to have a book or magazine or puzzle book or something, just in case. Also a battery and power cord, so that he can recharge.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lucy the Valiant said:

Just an idea re: ID - in my state, when you get an ID card made, they do issue you a temporary one at the DMV that is fully functional until your real one arrives. We needed to do this for a not-yet-16 year old taking the SAT. I realize not all states may do this.

It is same here.  My newest plan is to pick Ds up after school tomorrow and go get a dmv ID.  He’ll have it and I can relax about ID .  

57 minutes ago, Storygirl said:

Oh, I forgot to answer the question about putting the phone on airplane mode (I see that someone else responded, but I'll chime in). On our flight last week on Allegiant, they just said to put the phones in airplane mode, and then we could use them. But it would be good for him to have a book or magazine or puzzle book or something, just in case. Also a battery and power cord, so that he can recharge.

Sounds good.  I mentioned book to him. He can now decide yes or no on book. I’m not sure if local airport has a store with books to buy but certainly there will be on SF end for return if he doesn’t take one and regrets not having taken one.

Maybe he could take the DMV manual and study it 😁 if he hasn’t passed written test prior to trip.  

15 hours ago, Pen said:

It is same here.  My newest plan is to pick Ds up after school tomorrow and go get a dmv ID.  He’ll have it and I can relax about ID .  

Sounds good.  I mentioned book to him. He can now decide yes or no on book. I’m not sure if local airport has a store with books to buy but certainly there will be on SF end for return if he doesn’t take one and regrets not having taken one.

Maybe he could take the DMV manual and study it 😁 if he hasn’t passed written test prior to trip.  

Most airport do have books in some of their stores. There just is not a lot of choices there.

8 minutes ago, vonfirmath said:

Most airport do have books in some of their stores. There just is not a lot of choices there.

He’ll be flying out of a one store airport.  So probably very little choice of interest to a teen boy, but I’m sure at least some magazine if necessary.  Should be pretty easy for a first time solo flyer with some learning challenges though. 

The flight is only 2 hours  — he can daydream if need be. 

• Like 1

I ordered him a belt for carrying money, ID, cellphone.

Plan to get the state ID after school today.

will pick up smaller than 3.4oz deodorant and toothpaste type stuff next time I’m at grocery store

and a box of quart size zipper lock bags

other end will loan him a towel; also have spare reusable shopping bags if needed

list says remember to charge up phone before leaving and to take emergency use extra power bank.  Ours is bigger and heavier- maybe I’ll get a little one like linked above.  

I think we’re good! Or will be as soon as we have the ID

• Like 2

Maybe get one of those Penny Dell puzzle books at the dollar store or grocery store. https://www.pennydellpuzzles.com/our-products/

I find having a 3 outlet cube useful at airports and hotels because it’s so easy to run out of power outlets especially at airports. Link is the one I have and I bought from either Home Depot, Lowe’s or Target. That way I can charge my phone and power bank while my husband use his laptop using just one power outlet. https://www.amazon.com/GE-Adapter-Grounded-Outlet-58368/dp/B001UE7SC8/

• Like 2

He should be prepared to empty all of his pockets and put everything into the plastic bin. His cell phone. His keys. If he wears eyeglasses his glasses. He should be prepared to remove his belt (I had to do that here in Colombia).  He should wear shoes that are easy to take off and put back on (my wife forgot to do that here in Colombia).  He should try to keep an eye on all of his stuff as he goes through the Security checkpoint and to recover his stuff, ASAP.   He should ALWAYS go through Security ASAP and go to the Gate area where his flight will leave from. That's the safest place in any airport. He should listen to the P.A. announcements, in case they change the departure gate his flight will leave from.  I think you said he is a first-time flier. He should ALWAYS pay absolute attention to the  Flight Attendants when they give the safety information. His life could depend upon him remembering and following their instructions. He should read the Safety information card that is in front of him (seat back in front of him).  He should enjoy his trip!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Lanny said:

He should be prepared to empty all of his pockets and put everything into the plastic bin. His cell phone. His keys. If he wears eyeglasses his glasses. He should be prepared to remove his belt (I had to do that here in Colombia).  He should wear shoes that are easy to take off and put back on (my wife forgot to do that here in Colombia).  He should try to keep an eye on all of his stuff as he goes through the Security checkpoint and to recover his stuff, ASAP.   He should ALWAYS go through Security ASAP and go to the Gate area where his flight will leave from. That's the safest place in any airport. He should listen to the P.A. announcements, in case they change the departure gate his flight will leave from.  I think you said he is a first-time flier. He should ALWAYS pay absolute attention to the  Flight Attendants when they give the safety information. His life could depend upon him remembering and following their instructions. He should read the Safety information card that is in front of him (seat back in front of him).  He should enjoy his trip!

!! They make you take off your glasses. Yikes. I'm glad I've never had to do that. I'd have to be led to the other end and have no way to keep an eye on stuff. I'm VERY near sighted.

(If they asked I'd probably request they wand the glasses and give them back to me. I really do need them to see after all)

Edited by vonfirmath
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lanny said:

I’m hoping that a waist belt for all his pocket type stuff would make it one item to remove, put back on, and not lose. 

Shoes may be harder—he’ll only have whatever pair he wears on plane with him, and they will probably be his favorite Air Jordan lace up high tops.  He’s athletic and doesn’t have particular lace tying problems, but I’ll suggest maybe a faster pair with Lock-laces.

sandals might be more comfortable and easier , but he doesn’t have any currently 

I have a narrow area between him tending to be anxious and not wanting to worry him with “life could depend on it” warnings versus him tending towards adhd inattentive like and excitement and sensory seeking “up the down elevator “ sort of attitudes where reminders like that could be useful.  

I’m having him depart from Eugene Oregon airport which is tiny, and unlikely to have much confusion in departure gates or messages about numerous flights. 

SF end will be more confusing and chaotic.  I think he lands at Oakland. I’ve only been to SFO, but even Oakland will be huge compared to Eugene. 

• Like 2

@Lanny @Storygirl @Arcadia @FuzzyCatz Or others of who’ve flown on these budget airlines—

is a very short cellphone charge cord even a few inches one or a long one even 10’ I see available best?   for saving on bulkiness vs being able to sit comfortably in a chair and use phone or at least keep it close while airport charging?  

we have only two 6 foot ones at home.   

I would not worry about the shoes.  You can go right up to the security area with him and tell him to untie and loosen his shoes.  Once he gets up there he can slip them off, put them in the bin.  On the other side he needs to just grab his stuff and shoes and walk in his sock to a nearby bench or slide them on and then go to a bench to tie them.  No need for new shoes.  The key is not to stand at the end of the security point holding up the line while you tie shoes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Pen said:

we have only two 6 foot ones at home.   

6 foot is good enough for airplanes and definitely long enough for SFO. 

ETA:

I bring the $5 one from Target dollar aisle as it’s cheap enough to misplace.

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I like having longer chargers on trips!  Sometimes you are quick charging on the go.  We also have some cheapie ones just for packing.  We do have a few of the outlet boxes with 2 USB ports and I pack those for travel too when I know outlet space may be at a premium.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pen said:

<snip>

I have a narrow area between him tending to be anxious and not wanting to worry him with “life could depend on it” warnings versus him tending towards adhd inattentive like and excitement and sensory seeking “up the down elevator “ sort of attitudes where reminders like that could be useful.

Flying in a Civil aircraft is millions of times safer than riding in a car. However, I have a memory, that may be incorrect, that upthread you wrote that this is going to be his first flight, or his first flight alone? 

I would suggest that you explain to him that at the beginning of each flight, the Flight Attendants give an emergency demonstration, and that he should *always*  pay great attention to their demonstration. And, that also he should read the information on the Safety Card in the seat back in front of him.

• Thanks 1

Any suggestion for an amount of cash to take?

He has a debit card that I can put money into if needed.  

So probably just a minimum amount of cash for the trip .  I gather only cash can be used if snack or beverage  needed inflight.  

Perhaps some extra for transportation or tips if needed .  

Or other things I may not have thought of?