Menu

Accountability Thread 6/9-6/15

Morning! Second full week in Jun, and I'm hoping I get it free of headaches. We are off school this week. The boys have a trip east planned with the grandparents, and I'm planning to push myself with word count and see if I can't get to 50K on both of my projects by next Sunday. Camp NaNoWriMo is coming up in July, and I want to be free to actually relax, and do some revision, character work, and generally take a break from a pretty intense 6+ months of writing. 

Today, though....I have the grocery list to do, 5K words to write, and the boys want to go to the lake this afternoon. Got to get on it!

• Like 1

Somehow, June got swapped for October this morning. It turned bright, blue, cool, and windy overnight. I have the windows open. In June. The other shoe has got to drop.

Today is the first day of break. I have until noon to write. Then I've said I'll take the boys to the river for a while. 

• Like 1

Well, the climatic "other shoe" is dropping here: we're due for temps around 100 today.  Thank goodness DH insisted we get air conditioning last year. 

On the list: teaching; cleaning; garden work -- ideally get some new stuff in the ground no later than tomorrow & figure out what summer veggies we want, we are late on that this year -- cleaning, exercise, get some ice cream, cleaning, paperwork-catching-up, art and then more cleaning.

happysmileylady, whoo-hoo on NOT having cleaning!  critterfixer, am sending hopes for a beautiful day & a headache-free week. 

• Like 1

Morning. Writing is planned for today, and some revisions to one short story. The boys are getting ready for their vacation. I'm hoping that I get a little bit of a vacation, too, but chances are good I'll end up working a lot more than I'd like on the house and in the garden. At least the weather is supposed to be nice for a few days. I really need to plan fall term, too. Start ordering books at the end of the month if we need any. I've got quite a lot we could do this year rather than get a bunch of new curriculum, but some things would be nice to have.

• Like 1

Good morning!  Best news 'round here, my older fellow's tummy problems continue to heal and I think he is gaining weight again.  Just so glad. 

Hot again today.  I'm meeting a friend for coffee this AM (!!!) which is such a treat.  I've begun alternating "work" days with the boys & "recovery" days where I can get a lot more house/garden/planning stuff done.  This is the "work" day of our second cycle, despite my poorly-timed AM coffee, so it is school with younger (still a light day -- Latin, math, piano, his Memoria Press subject for the day, memory work, an AO literature reading, and art) and older (math, summer review Latin, piano, WWS, Christian Studies, memory, art) and we may add a chapter of SoTW. 

Art is the thing that's been back-burnered the most this year, so most kudos to me if we do it.  🙂 

Also need to pick up on the boys' fitness, now that elder DS tummy problems are resolving enough for him to get some exercise.  I need exercise, to do maintenance garden chores (mainly water) and essential housework, and aim for full 1/2-hour of reading aloud with each boy before bed.  DH heads out of town for a week today, so there is that.  Thank goodness, life is easier when he's around! and we miss him when he's gone. 

ETA: ooh, forgot: want to do Day 1 of a "home organization bootcamp" and a "budget bootcamp": these fell by the wayside when church troubles/health troubles hit.  The home one is 30 days, the budget is 91.  I'd hoped to start June 1st, but priorities intervened. 

ETA #2: personal notes here for making it happen -- if I put it on this thread it helps me be ... well ... accountable! 

1. To get the 1/2-hour of reading done, I need to work backwards.  So.  Little guy starts brushing his teeth around 7:45, gets his dessert 7:20 or so, we need to be eating dinner no later than 6:45, we're probably ordering pizza tonight to keep it simple on DH-departure day so order that by 5:00 or so because early dinner causes no problems.  Exercise by 3:45/4, extra credit if I get the boys exercising too.  Art right after lunch, then.  School & chores where they fit.  Okay!!!
  2. To get my bootcamps going on that schedule, I'll plan to work on them between ordering pizza and sitting down to eat. 
  3. I'm trying to find some little rewards for myself.  🙂  So today, figuring some of that out would be helpful.  The boys are getting summery treats of ice cream, extra time outside, lots more fun-days, more family movie nights, extra fun books to read &c.  I think I may go for some nice dark chocolate & some books I've been wanting, or maybe for some time to do some creative projects I'd like to do. 
Edited by serendipitous journey
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, happysmileylady said:

I got up to go work on the sorting.  I didn't even get to sit down at the pile and my phone rang, DD23 needed to talk about something.  So that ate up an hour.  

Ok, going to spend the next hour sorting.  Then get dinner going.  Not sure what I am going to make.  DH is gone, so I don't want to make the pasta dish that I had planned because DS6 won't eat it and DD8 will be hit or miss. 

<hug>

Actually showing up to parent takes. such. a. lot. of. time.   Hope your DD is well & that your talk felt constructive. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

Portfolios are done!

Yay!

I have another quiet day to work on my story. I have a couple of short stories to work on, and two novels that need more words, and two pictures that need paint. Thinking about turning on some music in another part of the house and just pounding away all day at it, at least until the afternoon when I need to water plants and go into town.

Oh my!  Still just so sad about my [lack of] church/church community.  Totally depressed about it.  On the bright side: in these modern times, one often CAN step away from toxic people.  What would I have done in the 1800's if my pastor went nuclear on me????  Also, I am good at managing being depressed.  Just weary. 

Elder DS continues to improve on average.  Thank goodness! 

Today's list: clean out 'fridge; get to the dump (if possible -- it is getting a bit late for that); food shopping (did that!); move boys' desks to a new, experimental location; clean off the chalkboard and maybe get new memory stuff up; and do a few sorts of exercise (yoga, something strength, something aerobic) to help keep body and mind well.  Ideally get some nice music into the boys' ears and something beautiful into their eyes (I'm considering counting Charlotte Diamond's French songs for the music and may fall back on the Great Outdoors for beauty: we are very get'er done right now). 

And today I'm feeling so blessed and supported by all the good and kind people, and all the people who make my life & homeschooling possible just by doing what they do and keeping the world keeping on.  🙂 

Edited by serendipitous journey
  • Like 1