Menu

What's with the ads?

klmama

Mixing social groups

How often do you do things that mix your different social groups together?  For example, your family, friends, people from different activities, neighbors, etc.?  Several times recently my groups have mixed, and I realized how rarely it happens.  For example, I went with dh and in-laws (group 1) and some friends (group 2) to watch dc in an activity (group 3).  I thought that was a lot of mixing already, but then someone I know from a different activity (group 4) had the seat next to us, and someone from yet another activity (group 5) came over to say hi to #4.  This hardly ever happens, and it just seemed really odd. Nice, but odd!  If this happens to you a lot, do you live in a small town?  Do you make an effort to mix your groups?

Never, if I can help it!! All hell has broken loose in the past when I tried to mix it up. 😐

Edited by easypeasy

I rarely mix them intentionally. For big events, there may be some crossover - the graduation party I just had was a good example - but I mostly don’t because inviting one or two people out of a social group feels like a slight of the others. I only do this when people have become a special friend that supersedes the group. Otherwise, most friends in one group are at pretty much the same level of friendship, so inviting one calls for inviting the others. 

9 hours ago, katilac said:

I do my best to keep my worlds from colliding 😄

That was my first thought...

I try not to and so do my kids. 

• Like 1

I don't, past experience is that it's not going to work because of the one relative group that cliques up and refuses to mingle. 

I have started declining invites to groups where I'll be ignored...the spouse wants to socialize with my spouse the wife won't give me two words type of thing.

I am part of other groups that successfully mix, so that's where my time goes.

Edited by HeighHo

11 hours ago, katilac said:

I do my best to keep my worlds from colliding 😄

This. I have one friend who allows her groups to mix and that's just how a few of us refer to it. "You know how L is. She lets her worlds collide"

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Haha 2

I wish I could, there are friends in different worlds that I think would really like each other and I would love to hang out with them both together, but it never works and there are all kinds of awkward things to take into consideration when I contemplate it like which ones from which circles to include. So instead I have my church friends, my drama friends, my speech and debate friends, my old college friends, my book club friends, and 2 circles of random friends that somehow don't intersect with each other very well even though we live in a very small community. There is some overlap between the drama and the speech and debate friends since they are both homeschool related so some of the same people rotate in and out of those circles. The only time people from different circles were all in the same place was for DS's graduation party last year.

Ugh.  Next weekend is the Grad party where EVERY world will collide and I'm really not looking forward to it.  😛   I hope everyone behaves.

I try once a year to have a fun, low key, come and go cookout type event and invite everyone and anyone.  So far it has gone well and is a lot of fun.  No alcohol is served.

Not that often, really, but I make it a point to do some mix-ups a couple of times a year, usually in the form of a potluck or cook-out at my house. I love mixing it up. 🙂

• Like 1