Menu

What's with the ads?

Sign in to follow this  
GracieJane

Accelerated but Can’t Write

My DS is 4 and will be attending K in the fall. He is currently reading Magic Tree House books and working through Building Thinking Skills Grade 2/3. However, he can’t write legibly at all. He gets frustrated trying to write letters and numbers. He doesn’t like drawing, either. What should I do?

keep doing the prewriting activities; do the screen for bilateral integration and crossing the midline if you haven't done that as part of the preschool screening

Edited by HeighHo

I would work on fine motor skills. Lots of stuff available online to help with that have nothing to do with writing but will help with the underlying muscles that he needs for writing.

FWIW, my DD audited her first college class at age 8, went to her first professional conference at age 9, and gave her first talk at age 10.  She also was still working on copywork and Handwriting until age 12-and honestly, could probably still use it at 14.  Her fine motor skills are age appropriate or even a bit behind, but somehow, it never really has mattered much-she has been able to keep up when she has needed to, and usually can type where needed (most of her college classes want things submitted online anyway, because they run them through TurnItIn).

Yes, work on fine motor. There are lots of great activities for this. I really love the Handwriting Without Tears preschool teacher’s guide/program because it’s a fine motor program that teaches letter formation, not a Handwriting program. But seriously, your DS is not behind. He is age appropriate in this area. 

Edited by dmmetler
  • Like 2