Menu

Maya Inspektor’s College Essay Class

Mom0012

My dd is just finishing this class and has come away with a common app essay she is very happy with. There are still a few spots left in sessions 2 and 3 if anyone is looking for this type of support for writing an essay. It was worthwhile enough for my dd that she is going to participate in session 3 with Ms. Mitchell (Mrs. Inspektor’s assistant) to knock out a supplemental essay for her top college choice.

That being said, my ds walked away from this class with nothing a few years ago, but he hates this type of writing and needed much more hand holding and just basic encouragement. He wrote his CA essay with the Bravewriter college essay class. On the other hand, my dd took BWs essay class last fall, thought it was awful and wound up with nothing. My kids are almost the complete opposite in their academic strengths and what they enjoy. DS is a concrete thinker and cares nothing for creative writing. His favorite subject is history. My dd loves creative writing and Latin has been her favorite subject.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

LOL, it's awesome how different kids can be! 🙂 My dd took this class and had zero luck with it. I think, in the end, it was because my daughter's main issue was gathering IDEAS for what to write about - and this class didn't really seem to help with that all that much (the other kids in her class seemed to arrive with their ideas already at least in gel-state, so they ran with it, while dd was still stuck over what was "worthy" to write about and continued to struggle).

Once dd had an idea, the essays weren't difficult for her to write - but getting her to that point was the challenge for us.

DD2 didn't take a college essay writing class and I'm hoping we don't regret it. She, also, is roadblocked on the "idea," but shouldn't have trouble writing it out once the right topic settles in. Hopefully...

• Like 1

My DD took Bravewriter's class last fall w/Mom0012's DD & thought it was awful. But, if you are looking for ideation help, I would say that class had a lot of hand holding for that. In fact, I think the first two weeks (of a 4 wk class? Or was it 5 wks?) were mostly coming up with ideas and getting started writing on 3-4 of them.

Kids are definitely very different!

• Like 2