Menu

Spelling question

Smiles

we have used all about spelling from the beginning but it's seems like my son (11) will be 6 th grade does not get it. He reads great but does not spell that great! all 3 of my kids hate spelling. I use aas with all of them. this makes me wonder if it's me or the program? We do about a lesson a week sometimes we take a little longer. We review and review, but I don't see it cross over into his writing. It seems like he gets it and then I will notice in his writing he spells words he should know wrong. He is about halfway through aas 5. We do the CAT test and spelling is always the lowest. I am considering a different approach/curriculum not sure! any ideas thoughts? Thanks

My 2nd DS was a horrible speller. He literally once spelled the same simple word wrong in 3 different ways in the same paragraph ... in middle school (insert head banging emoji here). Now he's a senior and while he doesn't have perfect spelling, he does fine in his essays and written work. My DD who is going into 6th still doesn't have great crossover into her writing. My DD who is a sophomore almost always spells everything correctly. Both DDs used AAS.

All that to say, sometimes it takes a while for all the skills (handwriting, thinking, spelling, grammar, organization) to all come together.

• Like 3

Oldest dd was a terrible speller.  We did spelling workout for several years, then we switched to AAS in 7th grade.  It helped, but was not an instant fix.  She slowly grew into spelling most words correctly, and she did great on her written AP Eng exam and is now doing well in college on essays.

I was a terrible speller too and slowly got there.  

DS1 never needed a spelling lesson. So not fair!  It was unreal.

DS2 is following the rest of the family in spelling ability and he's only going into 2nd grade!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Smiles said:

We go back and review it. If it has a rule we go over that. I also make a note and try to add it in when we review with AAS. 

You might consider marking it wrong and giving him a second grade (one for the subject, one for English mechanics). Possibly he hasn't figured out that spelling counts in *everything,* not just spelling class.

We love AAS but I do think it needs follow up. When DS misspells a word during his other schoolwork I add it to a list on my phone. Throughout the week I ask him to spell various words on his running list. Some are easily learned and crossed off his list. Others he needs more time to work with and internalize. I like AAS for the rules so I try to point those out and remind him when they apply. Some of his words are homophone pairs. I think all the there/their/they’re words were on his list for a really long time before they finally clicked for him. I think it helps that I stayed on top of it with his other LA and SOTW writing. 

• Like 1

On 6/6/2019 at 2:48 PM, Smiles said:

He reads great but does not spell that great! all 3 of my kids hate spelling. I use aas with all of them. this makes me wonder if it's me or the program?

*whispers* It's the kids.

Some people are going to find spelling difficult even with a good teacher and a solid program.

DS is slowly making a little progress now that we are doing something more spiral. Steck-Vaughn didn't work for him. SYS didn't. He needs one that requires little writing stamina and lots of review of old words. I'm a natural speller (and right-handed, which I think may be related), so it has taken some time to get things to start to click.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Ottakee said:

Check out Apples and Pears Spelling.  Super easy to use and carries over to everyday spelling.   https://www.soundfoundations.co.uk/en_US/product-category/spelling-en_us/

There is a placement test he can take to figure out a good starting point but don't hesitate to start a bit lower and work up.

We started this last week.  We are really enjoying it.

• Like 1

I know AAS has some dictation in it, but have you tried increasing the dictation?  Something like Spelling Wisdom?   AAS did nothing for my kid, but when we switched over to a different style (Dictation Day By Day) he took off.  The passages have constant review of old words, I write new ones on the board and underline parts to talk about the applicable rules (since we had all the cards from AAS still), and grammar/punctuation are just as important components.

• Like 1

Sorry, I would quote, for some reason my phone will not let me!

I will definitely look at Apples and Pears.

HomeAgain, he seems to do okay with the dictation in AAS, not great but okay! We do all the sentences in the books, I'll look at dictation day by day. When we did WWE he absolutely hated dictation! He cried a lot, mainly because of not knowing some of the spelling. He is a perfectionist and he likes for everything to follow rules! I will check it out though. I truly appreciate you all.