Menu

Any Homeschool Connections folks?

Meadowlark

My dd#2 watched the HSC recorded classes for the creative writing courses. She disliked the teacher but did learn some things. She went through about 1 1/2 credits worth of classes in approximately 4 months (just over 3?) by watching the doing the week's homework the following day (or 2 if the homework was lengthy), then watching the next video, etc.

I have no experience with the regular writing classes. 

On 6/15/2019 at 11:55 AM, DiannaKennedy said:

@Meadowlark ----- have you connected with anyone who's using HSC? I'm trying to discern if the classes would be a good fit for my crew, too. 

So sorry it's taken me an eternity to get back to you! Basically, not really. I'm finding it really really hard to find reviews of the Aquinas writing program. Sarah (from MP) and I chatted a bit about HC, and she was interested in checking out the writing program too-and maybe some other classes. I guess my question is, what do you omit from the MP cores? Science? Classical studies? With not very many reviews, i'm really scared to try HC. 

Have you come to any conclusions about it? I thought about just trying out some classes for $1, and then going from there.

It's definitely worth doing the trial and checking out the classes. Recorded courses don't work for my oldest because she needs deadlines, but it was a good chance for me to check out some of the teachers I was considering for live courses. HSC is very different than MPOA in that there seems to be a much looser affiliation between the teacher and provider. HSC finds some great instructors. The theology teachers are published writers and apologists for Catholic Answers. Anthony Esolen is teaching a literature course this summer. However, there is variation among how involved the instructors are. The instructor for dd's Didache course was great, but he showed up to lecture. A moderator ran the class and kept order. Quizzes were computer graded and the parent issued the final grade. I don't know that all courses are handled that way. Some of the teachers are former teachers, and they may be more involved outside of lecturing. I am trying to get more information regarding the Jurgensen class at the moment. 

With HSC the format of the recorded courses seems to vary greatly, although they are trying to make the courses more uniform. Some of the classes are recordings of live courses. For instance, my daughter's Didache course was recorded and it will now be offered as a recorded course. Some of the courses were recorded specifically to be recorded courses. One of the math instructors has a recorded lesson that kids watch once a week followed by a live meeting each week. Those recorded courses are available among the recordings. 

Due to the varied formats of the classes, your best bet is to do the trial. 

On 6/22/2019 at 8:51 PM, Meadowlark said:

So sorry it's taken me an eternity to get back to you! Basically, not really. I'm finding it really really hard to find reviews of the Aquinas writing program. Sarah (from MP) and I chatted a bit about HC, and she was interested in checking out the writing program too-and maybe some other classes. I guess my question is, what do you omit from the MP cores? Science? Classical studies? With not very many reviews, i'm really scared to try HC. 

Have you come to any conclusions about it? I thought about just trying out some classes for $1, and then going from there.

In grades 3-7, I skip MP math, spelling and grammar. I use the science, but I skip the Tiner books. In high school I use everything, but I pick and choose math and science. Some of their math and science choices match up with mine, and some don't.