Menu
Jump to content

What's with the ads?

KYinAZ

High School Foreign Language - Help!

Recommended Posts

Couldn't find this in another thread; please forgive if there is one.

DD will be a sophomore in the coming homeschool year. This past year we used Mango on-line, and both hated it. She was quite frustrated when after completing several chapters and subsequent tests, they added lessons to previously completed material that we felt hindered her on future lessons. They did this twice that we caught. I took French in highschool and lived in Italy for a couple of years, but lost a lot of it! Was leaning toward Rosetta Stone, but saw Living Language Spanish on Amazon that includes workbooks. I feel she would benefit more with video/audio/workbook combination. 

Any suggestions? Anyone used Living Languages?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sure they exist, but I don't remember ever talking to someone who was unreservedly outside about Rosetta Stone. At best I get a voice that the program is so expensive we better have gotten something out if it!

Have you used Duolingo? I understand it to be similar to RS but free. There is very little grammar, though, so you would need to pair it with a grammar book to really be effective. Many people use Homeschool Spanish Academy, although scheduling had been difficult recently. If you have the budget for an online class there are lots of options.

You might check out the thread pinned at the top of the High school board called "High School Motherlode #2", it has some links to foreign language. Also there is a pinned thread specifically for online foreign languages.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We homeschooled all the way through high school, and foreign language was the one thing we outsourced -- we did it as Dual Enrollment (DE) with the local community college. That worked great for both DSs -- one did Spanish, and the other did ASL. They had excellent teachers, regular classroom conversation practice, and got to "dip a toe in the water" of doing a college class. AND they earned dual credit, as the courses counted for both the high school transcript and on the college transcript. AND the DE took care of the college degree foreign language requirement before DSs ever got to college! win-win-win-win! (:D

It's also very possible that that your area might have FREE DE courses for high school students, or the cost per semester for doing a foreign language course at the community college may be very similar or even lower than an online homeschool high school course provider.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m not overly impressed with Rosetta Stone Spanish. I was grateful that we had it because it was given to us for free, but even at that price I was nonplussed. It fit our needs though, and I was grateful, but I wouldn’t have been happy if I had paid for it. I think it does an adequate job in some things, but it’s not great, especially considering the price tag. It’s really weak on grammar even with all the printable worksheets etc. 

Edited by MerryAtHope

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Foreign language was often the one thing we outsourced as well.  Not because it was the best curriculum choice, but because it was consistent and intense and daily.  I could be wrong, but I've come to believe that the most important part of foreign language learning is the intensity and consistency of it -- not the curriculum.  We just couldn't seem to do that at home, even if we did it daily.

My kids sometimes did it in a classroom setting, but often our only option was through our state's free distance ed/online program.  It was a course where they actually interacted with the teacher almost daily.  It wasn't the greatest curriculum and certainly online wasn't ideal, but the one thing it was was consistent and intense, constantly pushing toward the next level.  It required a lot more than just a daily home workbook lesson.  Also, I never would have believed that an online foreign language option would work, but it sure kept our kids working hard at a foreign language.  Again, when I say online I mean interacting with a real teacher, not just computer generated.

I wonder if your state has an online K-12 option for foreign language, or maybe a community college has a DE option.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/8/2019 at 7:27 AM, mom31257 said:

I attempted to do Spanish with ds, but I just didn't have the time to learn it well enough to help him thoroughly. We resorted to this because it's on the computer and independent. 

http://www.spanishprograms.com/

 Thank you so much!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, J-rap said:

Foreign language was often the one thing we outsourced as well.  Not because it was the best curriculum choice, but because it was consistent and intense and daily.  I could be wrong, but I've come to believe that the most important part of foreign language learning is the intensity and consistency of it -- not the curriculum.  We just couldn't seem to do that at home, even if we did it daily.

My kids sometimes did it in a classroom setting, but often our only option was through our state's free distance ed/online program.  It was a course where they actually interacted with the teacher almost daily.  It wasn't the greatest curriculum and certainly online wasn't ideal, but the one thing it was was consistent and intense, constantly pushing toward the next level.  It required a lot more than just a daily home workbook lesson.  Also, I never would have believed that an online foreign language option would work, but it sure kept our kids working hard at a foreign language.  Again, when I say online I mean interacting with a real teacher, not just computer generated.

I wonder if your state has an online K-12 option for foreign language, or maybe a community college has a DE option.

 

I'll definitely check into it. Thank you. I'm with you on the interaction. Proper pronunciation is important and I feel she needs a teacher to guide that. Thanks again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, MerryAtHope said:

I’m not overly impressed with Rosetta Stone Spanish. I was grateful that we had it because it was given to us for free, but even at that price I was nonplussed. It fit our needs though, and I was grateful, but I wouldn’t have been happy if I had paid for it. I think it does an adequate job in some things, but it’s not great, especially considering the price tag. It’s really weak on grammar even with all the printable worksheets etc. 

Thank you so much for the honesty on Rosetta Stone. That is exactly what I was wondering about Rosetta Stone. Going to cross it off my list. Thanks again!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/8/2019 at 5:30 PM, Lori D. said:

We homeschooled all the way through high school, and foreign language was the one thing we outsourced -- we did it as Dual Enrollment (DE) with the local community college. That worked great for both DSs -- one did Spanish, and the other did ASL. They had excellent teachers, regular classroom conversation practice, and got to "dip a toe in the water" of doing a college class. AND they earned dual credit, as the courses counted for both the high school transcript and on the college transcript. AND the DE took care of the college degree foreign language requirement before DSs ever got to college! win-win-win-win! (:D

It's also very possible that that your area might have FREE DE courses for high school students, or the cost per semester for doing a foreign language course at the community college may be very similar or even lower than an online homeschool high school course provider.

I'll definitely check the local college. After reading responses, I'm leaning toward some sort of classroom setting.  Thanks for taking the time to responds. This helps me so much. I go up and down on stressing out over high school. This helps out so much!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/8/2019 at 9:01 AM, SusanC said:

I'm sure they exist, but I don't remember ever talking to someone who was unreservedly outside about Rosetta Stone. At best I get a voice that the program is so expensive we better have gotten something out if it!

Have you used Duolingo? I understand it to be similar to RS but free. There is very little grammar, though, so you would need to pair it with a grammar book to really be effective. Many people use Homeschool Spanish Academy, although scheduling had been difficult recently. If you have the budget for an online class there are lots of options.

You might check out the thread pinned at the top of the High school board called "High School Motherlode #2", it has some links to foreign language. Also there is a pinned thread specifically for online foreign languages.

Going to have DD look at Duolingo and Homeschool Spanish. I saw the motherlode lists, really just seeking honest opinions on what worked and what didn't or didn't so much. Thank you for the information!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...