Menu

Can you suggest what the problem might be?

You all have helped me so much with some of my children's issues. It made me wonder if perhaps you could suggest what might be causing some of my reading issues. I will start by saying that at least one of my sons is almost certainly dyslexic maybe that's all that my trouble is but I'm not sure.

Ever since I was young I've been a terribly slow reader. I learned to read young but never picked up speed. To this day I can't read any faster in my head than I can out loud. Obviously this stunted my education and it continues to affect my ability to self-educate. I don't seem to have trouble reading complicated texts; I just can't read quickly at all. I realized that there must be something behind this when my dc were around 10 and could read a junk pre-teen novel twice as fast as I could pre-read it. I ended up giving up screening what they were reading and resorted to Goodreads and Amazon reviews to screen books. I felt like I was in highschool again resorting to Cole's Notes to get through English class.

Any thoughts?

You could have very low processing speed relative to IQ. You could be dyslexic. Both. What do you want to *do* about it? Well usually RAN/RAS scores are a latent indicator of dyslexia, still present even after intervention because so few tutors (idiots) work on it. It's super easy to work on RAN/RAS and you can do it for free. 

So, just for the fun of it, yeah work on RAN/RAS. You could do it to your kids and have them do you, boom. I have some pages on dropbox I've shared in the past. I'm not sure I can even get to the link now with my crunchy old browser. But if you find them, yeah. Or make your own. You can do it with colored dots, numbers, whatever you want. Read them maybe 5 times a day, lots of directions, aloud, as rapidly as possible. 

You could also have some developmental vision issues. My dd got noticeably faster with her reading after VT. They work on tracking, etc. You can go to a developmental optometrist and have them screen you or even do some VT and see what happens. Or just look for free tracking exercises. Or try a workbook from the Lane guy at RFWP. I think they'll look suspiciously like RAN/RAS work in a way, so maybe do that first.

20 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

You could have very low processing speed relative to IQ. You could be dyslexic. Both. What do you want to *do* about it? Well usually RAN/RAS scores are a latent indicator of dyslexia, still present even after intervention because so few tutors (idiots) work on it. It's super easy to work on RAN/RAS and you can do it for free. 

So, just for the fun of it, yeah work on RAN/RAS. You could do it to your kids and have them do you, boom. I have some pages on dropbox I've shared in the past. I'm not sure I can even get to the link now with my crunchy old browser. But if you find them, yeah. Or make your own. You can do it with colored dots, numbers, whatever you want. Read them maybe 5 times a day, lots of directions, aloud, as rapidly as possible. 

You could also have some developmental vision issues. My dd got noticeably faster with her reading after VT. They work on tracking, etc. You can go to a developmental optometrist and have them screen you or even do some VT and see what happens. Or just look for free tracking exercises. Or try a workbook from the Lane guy at RFWP. I think they'll look suspiciously like RAN/RAS work in a way, so maybe do that first.

Hmmm... I find this really interesting. The first link that I came upon when I googled what RAN/RAS scores were mentioned that people with EF dysfunction typically score low. I've known for some time that my EF is quite a bit lower than average. I highly suspect that I'm on the autism spectrum but I've never had this tested. I think that I'll play around with RAN/RAS practice. I'd love if you could find that link but don't sweat it too much. I'll see what I can put together.

I'm not sure what else I could do to improve reading speed. I don't know about vision issues. I suppose it's possible  but I'd guess that given how rural we are the closest developmental optometrist is probably many, many miles away.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4rcl6f0uo70esmv/AAAaGAHw3_YTMEQZSw_WI-t_a?dl=0  Ooo, look what we can do with sleep! :biggrin:  So this is the link for my RAN/RAS files.

Without data, you don't know if it's processing speed, visual tracking or other vision issues, or what. It won't *hurt* to do RAN/RAS work, but I can't promise it will be the thing. 

So what you do is print the pages, pop 'em in page protectors, and then hold up, have the person read across, then rotate another way. Do that 3 times. Then rinse repeat multiple times a day if you want. Sorta more is more better. At that rate my ds made pretty noticeable progress. He also has a relatively decent processing speed relative to IQ, with only about 20 points of discrepancy (speed lower than overall IQ). It's enough that it's an issue but not astonishing like my dd. My dd had processing speed in the 30s, which was a 60 some discrepancy and just crazy. And we've had people here in the teens. Now in the teens you might see a bump with metronome work. You mentioned EF, and metronome targets the EF portion of the brain. So you can look at Heathermomster's instructions and do that for free using a free metronome app on your phone, ipad, whatever. And then to bring that full circle, as my ds got better at reading the dots quickly I moved to having him read with the metronome to target that portion of the brain. So it's really just how creative you want to get.

Eye Tracking Practice Workbook

Advanced Eye Tracking Practice Workbook

Ocular Motor Skills Workbook Package

That's the type of stuff you'd be looking at for working on tracking. He has another 

Visual Scanning Practice Workbook

Directionality Therapy Procedures Workbook

Just look at the books and see what you think. They aren't too $$ in the packages and they're easy to implement. 

Again, none of that is going to change your processing speed. You are who you are in the brain with the spacing of your minicolumns, etc. You might like to read Dyslexic Advantage if you haven't yet. 

I'm just curious, have you tried speed ear reading? Then you could see if it's how you process overall or limited to how you process with your vision or for eye reading. Ben Foss explains how. I don't know why the links aren't working. Ok, found it directly through youtube. Check it out. 

1 hour ago, geodob said:

When you're reading, do your eyes move from one word to the next?
Or do they move, from one 'block of words' to the next block?

If you're reading 'word by word', then this would cause you to read slowly.

Another GOOD REASON to head to a developmental optometrist! They can screen you for poor convergence, tracking, etc. etc. in a regular eye appointment, just the normal annual visit thing. And then if there's more, they can do full testing or just begin some therapy. But even just having that appointment and having that discussion would give you a lot of info. I go to a developmental optometrist and I take my kids there. 

Remember, you can usually get into an optometrist like that (once you find one) in about 2 weeks. So you're talking good info for not much money. That way you're not trying to do therapy materials with your vision when you don't know what's going on with your vision. If the doc is like wow your convergence is horrible, then you'll work on that stuff before doing other things. So it would just be some good baseline info. 

Just for your trivia, some developmental optometrists will also have a CTOPP lying around to run on people. 

Edited by PeterPan

14 hours ago, rose said:

I don't know about vision issues. I suppose it's possible  but I'd guess that given how rural we are the closest developmental optometrist is probably many, many miles away.

DS13 had tracking issues on top of an average processing speed. One obvious indicator from him was that his reading speed and reading comprehension were much higher when he used his finger to follow the words in printed media and on the screen. He was literally pointing along on the screen while doing online quizzes for his public school classes. 

3 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

DS13 had tracking issues on top of an average processing speed. One obvious indicator from him was that his reading speed and reading comprehension were much higher when he used his finger to follow the words in printed media and on the screen. He was literally pointing along on the screen while doing online quizzes for his public school classes. 

My children will snicker at me but I'm going to try it. That would be a nice and easy accommodation.