Menu

outfitting dorm room

HollyDay

Dd will go away to college this fall for the first time. She will have a single occupancy room with double furnishings.  Microfridge, private bath.  I'm making a list of what she needs to bring and could use some help. (When oldest went to college she had a quad with a full kitchen and living area and 3 roommates....they coordinated what to bring so in some ways that was easier).

So far:

bedding:  plastic mattress cover, mattress pad cover, topper, sheets, comforter, pillows, etc.

bathroom:  towels, curtain, mats, products/supplies

bicycle,

Now I'm stuck.  Of course, she will take computer, clothes, office supplies, personal affects, etc.  But what else?  Rug?  What cooking utensils (only a bathroom sink)? 

I could use some ideas....

I thiink there is something pinned on the college board about this.  My kids went to college pretty minimalist due to the long travel distances, but there were a handful of things that really made things easier.

Scissors

Tape - both clear and duct tape

a multi-tool like a Leatherman

Stapler and some office supplies like paper clips and binder clips

big box of mechanical pencils/pens

• Like 3

If she has double furnishings without a roommate, she may want a second comforter and some large "body pillows" to turn the second bed into comfy seating for people who drop in. First, though, she should make sure she is "allowed" to occupy the other half of the room. Some colleges want it to remain "move in ready" in case they have to assign a roommate.

• Like 2

a lot of places should have lists.

yes - multi tools, box cutter, hammer, measuring tape as well as typical office supplies.

basic kitchen stuff - some dishes/cups/pyrex/bowls, etc.

white boards, note pads, etc.

Check out some of the past threads linked  "College Motherlode" thread pinned at the top of the college board for more ideas about heading to college -- PAGE 5 has some great threads on "Heading to College" and "At College" topics. Here are the threads on "Packing/What to Bring to College":

Packing / what to bring to college
Gwen’s complete college supply list 
What to bring to college 
What to take to college: list of must haves?
What do they really need for the dorm?
Packing for college dorm/apt life
Dress clothes for college?
Best vacuum for college dorm
Sheets and towels for dorm
What sort of mattress cover did you get for the dorm?
Locking trunk?
Keeping things [secure] in a dorm room
Small dorm storage: share advice or past mistakes

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 3

My dd needed a tall lamp. Something like this:

https://www.target.com/p/5-head-floor-lamp-room-essentials-153/-/A-53695246?preselect=53243199#lnk=sametab

or this:

https://www.target.com/p/torchiere-with-task-light-floor-lamp-room-essentials-153/-/A-51184884?preselect=12242565#lnk=sametab

because all of her dorm rooms have had a dark corner where no light reaches.

Tall coffee mug/tumbler if she doesn't have one already.

DD has a rug. We bought a huge one that covers most of her open floor space.

When dd was in a room with no "real" kitchen, we tried to keep the dishes minimized. That way dd would HAVE TO WASH THEM and not let them pile up by her bathroom sink...:

a microwavable soup mug like these:

https://www.corningware.com/products/5696/meal-mugs

plates (small ones), a cereal bowl, one of these: https://www.amazon.com/Aladdin-10-01352-190-Insulated-Tumbler-Orca/dp/B005S4KSQ4,

a single fork, spoon, knife. lol. (She had double of all these things because we bought the dishes for her and her roommate and they both wanted to minimize as much as possible and it worked out great)

When she moved into a place with a real kitchen (hallelujah!!), we added more dishes and kitchen supplies.

They have little stilts for those beds that enable them to be lifted up about 4-5 inches, making more room for under bed storage.  Super helpful.  A few strings of lights are really popular right now.  She might need to provide a desk lamp and/or floor lamp as well.

I am a big fan of the Pampered Chef microwave pasta set.  Meals in minutes, and they are not just your run of the mill frozen dinners.  

She will need a medicine kit.  Bean bag chairs and lava lamps are back.  Scary thought.

We didn’t try to have everything in the room right away- it felt overwhelming. So a few weeks after a kid moved to college we’d send a first aid kit- it was really for colds, but with band aids. G  Cold medicine, cough drops, packs of Emergen-C, Kleenex. Stuff like that can be expensive on a student budget and when you wake up sick, you want it now, not after your classes are over.  Kid one we did the cutesy thing and added chicken noodles soup and stuff but found that was not used.  

The other thing we really emphasized was a locked box or trunk to store valuables. We had to push to get them to use them regularly but every one of them eventually did AND were glad they did as they heard from friends whose stuff went missing. Your kid hosts a study group or just has casual friends over and a wallet goes missing or a drink get spilled on a laptop...ugh.  Also, we taught the kids to keep some emergency cash on hand and it stayed in the box to keep it from being used casually...like for a pizza.   The locked box was also a good place to keep their passport, paycheck stubs, checkbook (yes, my kids are old enough that they actually had checks) and receipts we needed to keep.   One kid had a prescription that needed to be kept safe. She had her pill box in her purse but kept the remainder hidden away in her locked box.  

Stuff my kids NEVER used: stapler, a printer in the dorm room,  a bike. Other kids used this stuff constantly. Every kid is different...so read that college provided list with your own kid in mind. 

• Like 3

This is the coffee maker I got my kid.  It's affordable and makes coffee right into a to go cup.  It looks like it fits most standard to go cups.  Many dorms won't allow anything with a hot plate.  Many dorms have strict rules about what is and isn't allowed so definitely check that out!  

https://www.amazon.com/AdirChef-Personal-Coffee-Maker-Travel/dp/B0749XPQBT/ref=sxin_11_ac_d_pm?keywords=single+cup+coffee+maker&pd_rd_i=B0749XPQBT&pd_rd_r=b3e1b42c-1795-47ed-94f0-d4291e9c9f1d&pd_rd_w=kOzPB&pd_rd_wg=8iAz8&pf_rd_p=be5d8dec-444e-4770-91df-1e16a8c46da8&pf_rd_r=38A7HQPY402QW24MZPJ9&qid=1559828532&s=gateway

I've only bought him a couple things, so I am following along!

Edited by FuzzyCatz

Just adding -- look very carefully at the list that the college provides of what is allowed and NOT allowed. At some schools, a lot of electrical heating devices, such as an electric tea kettle or coffee maker or hot pot, are not allowed. Also, the type of lamp/bulb is often restricted. In both cases, it is because they are things that can be forgotten and heat up, and something falls onto it and start a fire.

If she has any meds, you definitely want a way to secure those and keep them out of sight, and unmentioned, to prevent theft.

While it's very exciting to outfit their first "home away from home", you are likely to find that she doesn't need or use much (at least, that was the case with DS), and it might be better to wait until she moves into her first apartment or home to pull out all the stops. (:D I got DS a few utensils/plate/bowl/etc. so he could make simple meals, but he never used any of it -- just used his meal plan, and did microwave meals and ate straight out of the microwave meal plastic box/plate. He also got himself paper plates and disposable forks so he didn't have to wash up in the sink. sigh... so much for me trying to encourage "going green"...

As someone mentioned up-thread, a little "medic" box with cold/flu supplies was used and very much appreciated by DS. Having one more formal outfit/shoes is handy -- DS only used it 1-2x/year at school, but did need that a few times.

PS
Also, looking at your original list -- I got a shower curtain for DS who had a bathroom in his room -- but it had a glass door, so the shower curtain was not needed. You might ask about that.

DS used a long board for commuting around campus rather than a bike, which is much smaller and more easily stored in the dorm room, and portable so he could take it into class with him, rather than having to search for a bike rack.

If taking the bike make SURE it is a bike that has a quick release front wheel, and ALWAYS remove the front wheel and include it in the lock -- and be sure to use the heavy-duty U-shaped lock that locks with a key (rather than combination lock) to prevent chain/cable being cut and bike stolen. My bike was stolen on campus in the midst of a huge bike parking area by the cable being cut, but amazingly campus police saw it happen and caught the person, and I got the bike back -- something that almost never happens. I used a Krypton U-lock after that.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, fairfarmhand said:

Cleaning supplies, toilet brush, scrub brush, paper towels, rags. (If you don't plan on buying them there.) 

Do kids in a typical dorm situation with community bathrooms really use something like a toliet brush?  I was thinking like some general spray cleaner, paper towels, maybe even a swiffer?  But bathroom cleaning stuff?  

• Like 1

We used some of the lists linked above by Lori and they were really helpful. My dd just ended up using paper plates etc because she had a community bathroom and going there to wash dishes frequently was a pain.

Lamps, plenty of power strips and cables to hook up TV or ethernet - college usually has a list of which cables you need. If she wants to loft her bed a rubber mallet is really useful on moving in day and we also took a little cart to move things on. They did have some carts you could use but it was also handy having one that we didn't have to wait for.

Laundry soap etc - my dd's college did not let them use tide pods - also see if they have to use quarters in the machines and send a supply - at my dd's it was included in the room and board so she did not need any.

If it's allowed a door wedge to keep the door open - easier to make friends I think - but because of fire regulations dd was not allowed to use one.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, FuzzyCatz said:

Do kids in a typical dorm situation with community bathrooms really use something like a toliet brush?  I was thinking like some general spray cleaner, paper towels, maybe even a swiffer?  But bathroom cleaning stuff?  

Our experience was that a community bathroom got cleaned by the custodian but those with suites/private bathrooms had to clean their own.

• Like 4

If her bed is regular size, meaning not a bunk, and has an end table, this may not be necessary, but when my dd was a freshman I  bought her a bedside caddy to hang on her bed. She said it was super helpful.

A desk lamp was a must. Both she and her roommate studied at different times, usually at night when the other was asleep so they couldn't have the top light on. We put a soft low wattage bulb, just bright enough to illuminate her work space but not bright enough to disturb her roommate.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Annie G said:

So a few weeks after a kid moved to college we’d send a first aid kit- it was really for colds, but with band aids. G  Cold medicine, cough drops, packs of Emergen-C, Kleenex. Stuff like that can be expensive on a student budget and when you wake up sick, you want it now, not after your classes are over.  Kid one we did the cutesy thing and added chicken noodles soup and stuff but found that was not used.  

We also sent our kids with foods like saltines, jello cups, and applesauce cups in case they got sick and wanted/needed foods easy on their stomachs. 

59 minutes ago, TCB said:

my dd's college did not let them use tide pods

Do you know why?  

Mini-fridge

Microwave

One of my sons is at a college where they can only use those 2 in 1 fridge/microwave things for voltage issues.  They can rent from he school or bring their own but it has to be the approved size/voltage and no free standing microwaves.  So make sure and check.

caddie for toiletries if the bathroom is down the hall

bins or drawers for supplies/books/etc .....

desk or bed lamp

mattress pad, dorm mattresses are hard!

extra pillows/bedding

mirror for the desk 

desk chair if she wants a more comfortable one

one of my sons wanted a stable TV tray to do some school work on, one that he could fold down to get out of the way.

24 minutes ago, Kassia said:

Do you know why?  

I can't remember exactly how but apparently they cause the machines to break down more often. I think it may be something to do with residue from the pod capsules not breaking down completely and causing problems.

• Thanks 1

Laundry hamper with wheels and handle, along these lines. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001GQVS2Q/ref=psdc_695489011_t2_B001RCUN6G

My daughter likes this desk lamp because she can adjust the amount of light. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XC5KNB6/ref=dp_cerb_3

Surge protector/extension cord

Rapid charger: https://www.amazon.com/Charger-RAVPower-Desktop-Charging-Compatible/dp/B077D324QB/ref=dp_ob_title_wld

In addition to a multi-tool, I packed a few tiny screwdrivers. Everyone used them on electronics, glasses, or both. 

My kids all sent the printer home. I use it now. 🙂 

I set up a small (coupon size) expandable file for each kid that we called the Important Docs File. Inside I put copies of a few documents such as contact info for a lost debit card, a few checks, stamps, a few envelopes, insurance cards, etc. Also added in some emergency cash. They all got in the habit of putting important receipts or documents in there. They kept it in a lockbox at school, but they'd  pack it when they came home for vacations so they could empty and/or restock. (It's also a good idea to scan or copy their driver's licences, debit cards, and car registrations, etc. and keep those on file at home). 

An aside, for those whose kids are turning 18 and/or going off to college, I would urge you to have your student take care of the  legal paperwork that would be needed in in case of emergency ASAP.  I say this as a parent who didn't, and we wound up having to have a power of attorney for healthcare drawn up by a chaplain in the hospital for our college student at the onset of a  serious life threatening illness. As soon as the first round of treatment was completed, we used Quicken Willmaker to help him draw up another power of attorney for healthcare, a will, and a power of attorney for business. We had it witnessed and notarized, and then we scanned and made copies. I think it was about $50.

I pray you'll never need it, but when kids turn 18  you as a parent no longer have any legal say in their medical care.  You need that document in order to have access to an adult child's medical information and to make decisions should a serious medical situation ever arise.

• Like 1

Re: laundry pods

As I understand it, if you overload a washer, the pods don't always dissolve well. One kid got chemical burns from what was left of a pod inside a piece of clothing. I'm sure no one can imagine their kid overloading the clothes washer...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Shower caddy and toiletries, flip-flops

Whatever means are necessary to pay for laundry (card? quarters?), detergent, and a bag or two. Our dorms had people going up and down up to 4 floors to do laundry (no elevator).

Suitable means to deodorize the room in case, for example, the heat or AC leaves a smell. Candles are often prohibited; sprays might be too much for a small space. Maybe a little bottle of peppermint oil and some cotton balls.

Edited by whitehawk

9 hours ago, FuzzyCatz said:

Op mentioned a private bath. 

• Like 1

On 6/5/2019 at 9:50 PM, TechWife said:

If she has double furnishings without a roommate, she may want a second comforter and some large "body pillows" to turn the second bed into comfy seating for people who drop in. 

But keep in mind that you have to store all this stuff every summer! We were so, so happy to write the check for dd2 to stay in the dorm over the summer, lol. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

How big are rooms?  This just curiosity.  I went to university in NZ and I think my room was 8 feet by 7 feet.  When you came in the door the bid was on one side and a wardrobe then a built in desk on the other.  There was about 2 feet floor space between the end of the bed and the outside wall.  If more than a few people used an appliance in their room - you weren't supposed to but I had an electric jug and some people had TVs - the fuses blew and you had to go and mess about with the fuse board.

Anyway how big are the rooms and do people really share with strangers in the same room?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kiwik said:

How big are rooms?  This just curiosity.  I went to university in NZ and I think my room was 8 feet by 7 feet.  When you came in the door the bid was on one side and a wardrobe then a built in desk on the other.  There was about 2 feet floor space between the end of the bed and the outside wall.  If more than a few people used an appliance in their room - you weren't supposed to but I had an electric jug and some people had TVs - the fuses blew and you had to go and mess about with the fuse board.

Anyway how big are the rooms and do people really share with strangers in the same room?

DD's freshman year roommate was a stranger and the two of them became like sisters. Rooms were a little bigger than what you describe. But no AC.

I would go minimalist and then add as needed.  This means bedding, bathroom stuff, and school stuff.  I wouldn't bother with a bicycle unless she knows for a fact she will use it.  Let her figure everything else out herself once she gets there.

DS took the following to uni: 6 cup Brita water pitcher that fit inside the mini fridge, velvet clothing hangers, shoe rack, bedding, smallish laundry basket and laundry bag, toilet paper, laundry pods, paper towels, bleach wipes, Ikea cart (stored dry foods, plastic cups, and disposable plates/eating utensils), storage box containing office supplies, 2 surge protectors, gel mattress pad, metal over-the-door hanger, laptop, printer, $15 stick vac (this sucker was actually used), BHG 4-cubbied bookcase (he used it for organizing text books and class binders), tool kit (which he stored in his truck), painters tape, 3 towels/wash cloths/hand towels, and personal care items. Bathroom was en suite.  Next year, DS will need cheap shower shoes.

Edited by Heathermomster
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, katilac said:

But keep in mind that you have to store all this stuff every summer! We were so, so happy to write the check for dd2 to stay in the dorm over the summer, lol. 

3 hours ago, EKS said:

I would go minimalist and then add as needed.  This means bedding, bathroom stuff, and school stuff.  I wouldn't bother with a bicycle unless she knows for a fact she will use it.  Let her figure everything else out herself once she gets there.

Yes.  It's so much more fun to move in than to move out.

There's usually Walmart/Target or Amazon if needed.  

23 hours ago, katilac said:

We used space saver bags for packing bedding and winter clothing. I also left a few for DD as she'd use them for trips home. 

On 6/5/2019 at 10:05 PM, HollyDay said:

Dd will go away to college this fall for the first time. She will have a single occupancy room with double furnishings.  Microfridge, private bath.  I'm making a list of what she needs to bring and could use some help. (When oldest went to college she had a quad with a full kitchen and living area and 3 roommates....they coordinated what to bring so in some ways that was easier).

So far:

bedding:  plastic mattress cover, mattress pad cover, topper, sheets, comforter, pillows, etc.

bathroom:  towels, curtain, mats, products/supplies

bicycle,

Now I'm stuck.  Of course, she will take computer, clothes, office supplies, personal affects, etc.  But what else?  Rug?  What cooking utensils (only a bathroom sink)? 

I could use some ideas....

We made our dd's dorm room cozy with cloth. Her freshman year dorm did not have closet doors, so I made curtains to hang on tension rods. If you're not comfortable sewing, it's easy to simply use ring clips with a sheet. Dd brought her futon to school (she'd had one under her loft throughout her high school years) and she bought a humongous printed fabric tapestry. She hung the tapestry using command hooks to stick to the wall and binder clips to hang from the command hooks. The huge fabric hanging behind the futon transformed the space. We also bought a pretty fabric shower curtain and hung it along her bed, which was lofted. The curtain could be drawn shut to give her privacy at her desk (placed under the bed).

Sophomore year Dd had a closet door, so she hung the blue curtains over the windows. Huge visual impact in the room as the curtains the university supplies are horrid. That year the futon was under the lofted bed, with the pretty shower curtain there to make the futon nook cozy and private as needed.

The curtains were especially handy for hiding messes. 😀

With a carpet square as well, Dd's room always looked homey rather than institutional. She received many compliments on it.

Our dd really, really likes both tea and coffee. She brought a minifridge and an electric kettle to heat water. She opted for a meal plan that does not include breakfast, and she kept simple breakfasts in the minifridge. She steeped tea by the individual mug or she made coffee in a small, 2-cup French press. Next to the minifridge, she kept a small wire shelf cart with wheels--this held crackers or other snacks and some dish soap.

Dd also bought a latex mattress topper and felt it offered vast improvement to dorm mattresses.

21 hours ago, Pippen said:

DD's freshman year roommate was a stranger and the two of them became like sisters. Rooms were a little bigger than what you describe. But no AC.

They would have to be a bit as you couldn't have physically put another bed in mine unless you used bunks.

I couldn't share with my actual sister.

Dd's college does have a pretty lengthy "do not bring list."  String lights, microwave, hot plate, can't elevate bed.  Dd doesn't drink coffee but she does like hot tea and cocoa.  The room comes with a dorm fridge and a micro...so I'm thinking she will heat water in the micro. 

The bathroom looks like a retro (outdated) typical bathroom...tub and sink.....not storage.  I'm wondering about a shelf thingy to put above toilet....not one that would mount on wall...but floor standing??