Menu

New CLE western civilization text?

Has anyone used or even laid eyes on the new 7th grade history textbook by CLE entitled Across the Ages, a history of western civilization? Here’s a link: https://www.clp.org/store/by_course/79

My DD14 used their 8th grade US History text, Changing Frontiers, last year and we really loved it. We generally prefer secular resources, but this book met our needs almost perfectly. Based on how much we enjoyed it, I’m intrigued about their newest title for my younger DD when the time comes.

I thought it looked really good too. I wish they would have had it last year. I may have used it over Notgrass. We're studying American History this year. I love how independent and straight forward their products are. I'm excited about their new Algebra 1 book as well. DD has been doing really well with their math program the past two years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pitterpatter said:

I love how independent and straight forward their products are. I'm excited about their new Algebra 1 book as well. DD has been doing really well with their math program the past two years.

I totally agree. I really wish they had high school level history texts in the same format. Oh how I would love a CLE ‘style’ 1-year American history and 1-year World history course!

Edited by fourisenough
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, fourisenough said:

Has anyone used or even laid eyes on the new 7th grade history textbook by CLE entitled Across the Ages, a history of western civilization? Here’s a link: https://www.clp.org/store/by_course/79

My DD14 used their 8th grade US History text, Changing Frontiers, last year and we really loved it. We generally prefer secular resources, but this book met our needs almost perfectly. Based on how much we enjoyed it, I’m intrigued about their newest title for my younger DD when the time comes.

Could you share a little bit about why you loved the 8th grade text? Just curious in general how this curriculum works. I am familiar with the Lightunits but generally find textbooks for history to be fairly boring and have low retention. Was it independent? Did you add anything to it? Was it engaging?

Would it be crazy to want to buy that go along with high school world history?

We are using Oak Meadow's WH with a secular world history text. You actually research topics and answer essential questions, do projects, etc. This might be a good, light read to go along with it. 

4 hours ago, Meadowlark said:

Could you share a little bit about why you loved the 8th grade text? Just curious in general how this curriculum works. I am familiar with the Lightunits but generally find textbooks for history to be fairly boring and have low retention. Was it independent? Did you add anything to it? Was it engaging?

This is a description from the publisher on the Light Unit method for history:

“The LightUnit study method promotes independent learning. The ten LightUnits in this study are based on the ten units of the textbook Across the Ages. Students are directed to read portions of the textbook in each LightUnit lesson, and then they complete the exercises as directed. These LightUnits use the same format as the other Sunrise Edition LightUnits with a continuous review. Each item on the final test is reviewed once in the review section of a lesson and often appears on a quiz and/or self check. This enables the student to study and review independently.
Each LightUnit consists of 12 lessons, 2 quizzes, 1 self check, and a final test. Students work toward mastery of the final test by studying all the review sections, vocabulary words, and the self check. The LightUnit course can be completed in 170 days. The Study Exercises in the textbook do not need to be completed when using the LightUnit study method.”

There is a good thread on here somewhere with some very thorough reviews of Changing Frontiers. It was those reviews that interested me in the course and convinced me to purchase it. But basically, I loved it because it was thorough yet concise and set up so logically and consistently that my DD could use it very independently. It was easy to schedule (1 lesson per day!), simple to check with the answer keys, and retention was excellent with the built-in reviews, quizzes, and tests. We find history fascinating so it wasn’t boring to us, but ymmv. Hope that helps!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Meadowlark said:

Does anyone see a table of contents here? I really need to know which era of history this covers, as my son did Ancients in 6th grade (in school) and so wouldn't want to do the same time period. Where can we see a TOC?

Oooo, good question. I didn’t find one either. If you contact the publisher, I bet they would be happy to provide it. If you do, will you link here? I’d love to see it, too.

3 hours ago, mom31257 said:

Would it be crazy to want to buy that go along with high school world history?

We are using Oak Meadow's WH with a secular world history text. You actually research topics and answer essential questions, do projects, etc. This might be a good, light read to go along with it. 

Do you mean in addition to another text? I think I’d have a hard time convincing my student to read two texts, but if you have an eager beaver with enough time, why not?!

I thought many times while using the 8th grade text last year that it could easily work for a high schooler. Heck, I read and enjoyed (and learned from it!) myself. I haven’t seen enough of the 7th grade World Civ text to say whether it could be used for a high schooler, but I would think for some kids it might be just about the right level. I often check out books from the youth section at the library and gain a lot from them. Sometimes a more approachable, slightly less academic and detailed introduction is all I want and, as a bonus, it may actually get read and remembered!

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Paradox5 said:

For those who used the US book, how religious was it compared to say BJU? Is it a fair balence?

There was very minimal religious content; no comparison to BJU materials. As a secular homeschooler, I would never consider anything from BJU.

7 hours ago, Paradox5 said:

Thank you for this. We haven't had much luck with CLE materials in the past. The Reading about did us in. This sounds like one we can try.

Yep, we tried one level of CLE Reading after hearing people rave about it. I pre-read a few of the stories in the book and promptly tossed it in my donation pile. Definitely too preachy and heavy handed for this mostly secular hs’er. The history was nothing like that. 

I keep coming back to this thread because well, something about it is intriguing me. But then I keep thinking that it would probably be boring, or religious...but you've all addressed this so I don't know what exactly I'm afraid of. I keep thinking that being that it's CLE, something will be swayed in a way that I don't like. But I can't figure out what that would exactly be....So let me ask you this, what intrigues YOU about it?

• 4 months later...

I'm just waiting for someone to update this thread and share how they are liking it! There's a good chance I'll do both the 8th AND 7th grade texts next year...but I need to get some positive feedback first, and I just can't find anyone who's using it. You are out there, right? Please share!

I am using the 7th grade western civ textbook with my son. It’s well done. Each day’s reading assignment is just 3-4 pages - very doable. I’m not using the Light Units, though — just the worksheets and some additional written narrations, plus occasional related videos. (We are doing a separate American history strand with his younger sister, using a more CM approach, so I wanted to lighten the workload on this a bit.)

My son will go to a private high school so I am using this course to help strengthen his study skills and get him more comfortable learning from a textbook. We have used other CLE products and generally like the predictable format and this is no exception. It’s a solid program, in my opinion. 

On 11/3/2019 at 5:56 PM, Paradox5 said:

Popping back in to ask fourisenough: did you buy the book? Thoughts so far?

Nope, sorry. I previewed the table of contents and decided against it for now. I may revisit it when my now 5th grader is ready for it in a few years.

With regard to how this text handle the Reformation, chapter 17 looks to me pretty standard coverage ... it starts with a discussion of the influence of the Catholic Church on society during the Middle Ages and then moved into indulgences and other issues within the Catholic Church. It discusses the roles of John Wycliffe, Erasmus, Luther and Calvin. The following chapter focuses specifically on the Anabaptist movement and while it seems fairly factual in nature, rather than preachy, it would be easy to skip.

4 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

Not Catholic. Abeka and BJU are not my cup of tea. I considered R&S but with them also being Anabaptist, thought that might be the same but maybe not. I'm actually looking at Notgrass or TGTL for next year. 

Sorry for my venting. I think I'm just having a hard time switching gears because I use their entire curriculum for everything and really thought we'd continue to use it all the way through graduation. I am now having to reassess and research and likely make changes and I really don't like change.

Do you realize the 5th grade and under social studies books are written and published by another company and just repackaged/resold by CLE? They’re VERY different than the newer books written and published by CLE such as their 6, 7th, & 8th grade history textbooks. The middle school books are dramatically different and better, IMHO.