Menu

My Father's World vs Heart of Dakota

Susie in MS

I am looking forward to seeing other's answers. I dont have any experience yet, but I plan on doing both next year.

MFW CtG with my older girls (3rd & 5th) because we will be ready to start the cycle over and HOD seems to just do American History.

I plan on using "Little Hearts for His Glory" with my younger boys (K & 1st) because I can combine the two instead of having to buy separate curriculums, plus I already own half the books I would need for it....and it looks fun and simple to use!

I'm using both this year. I'm using LHFHG with my Kinder and MFW: Adventures with my 3rd grader. I prefer LHFHG.

MFW is a great concept but I'm struggling to implement it. I think part of the problem is that is really is a UNIT study. I feel like for it to be completely successful, I have to do it all. I wasn't willing to give up my more structured language arts and so I'm basically trying to do too much. I dropped Science and Bible from MFW because it was too light (but unfortunately Bible is what people seem to really love) and so I'm adding even more stuff. The state sheets are boring us to death but it is hard to just do "some of them". I'm left seriously missing last year when we did Beautiful Feet and it was all about just reading great books.

My son is loving LHFHG. I love the layout. I like how easy it is to skip something or suppliment with something else. LHFHG is more of a traditional approach to education with "fun stuff" added. I'm discovering that this approach just works better for us. The problem with it is that the history rotation just isn't going to work for us. My children are too far apart in ages and I don't want to buy 2 completely different history/sciences.

I'm not going with either one next year. I'm just going to take the year and read and notebook for history and science. Both children will use R&S for their core. I simply prefer to make up my own book lists and come up with my own extra activities. Hope this helped a little bit.

Thanks for this thread. I think I have decided to use Little Hearts for my Kindergartener next year. I am still not sure if I should get a HOD package for my 3rd grader or use Sonlight as a guide for her history and letting her also do the fun projects in Little Hearts with her brother. This thread gave me some useful information.

Jan

Hi Jan -

I just wanted to say that we did get an HOD package for our 3rd. grader and are really enjoying that as well. We chose to do Bigger Hearts for His Glory (for ages 7-9). It has been a wonderful year. We're a little over halfway done with it' date=' and still looking forward to doing it each day. I think the new program Preparing Hearts for His Glory is for ages 8-10, so that one would work too. I don't think it's available until later this spring or summer though.[/quote']

Thank you for the information. I was thinking about using Bigger with my third grader and adding the readers and maybe the read alouds from Sonlight Core 3. Are you using Singapore math? We are using Singapore and just started 2A, but I likely won't start Bigger until this fall. I was wondering how the math activities would work if we were using Singapore 3A at the time.

Jan