Menu

What's with the ads?

Ottakee

Book people....CLEAN, funny, feel good books???

I have been enjoying some really great books but so many are deep thinking ones.   I want to alternate with some nice, light reading, maybe laugh out loud, books but I want them to be clean.  PG rated type thing.

I have checked out a lot of lists of the funniest books, etc and so many of them are filled with language and inuedo.  I dont want that.

Any ideas for me?  I loved the Effie Wilder books about her life in the retirement home.  A few travel abroad or move to the country books have been nice and funny and light hearted.

What ideas do you have for me?

Well, I can’t necessarily recommend this book since I haven’t read it yet, but I went on an internet search last week for the kind of book you’re asking about because I, too, needed a break from what I’ve been reading. I decided to buy and try out At Home In Mitford. Of course, this series has been around for ages, but it just seemed like what I might need right now. 

I’ll be following your thread for ideas!

• Like 3

Maybe An Embarrassment of Mangoes: A Caribbean Interlude by Anne Vanderhoof might be something you'd like.  It has been a while since I read it but it is what I thought about when I read your post.

15 minutes ago, mmasc said:

Well, I can’t necessarily recommend this book since I haven’t read it yet, but I went on an internet search last week for the kind of book you’re asking about because I, too, needed a break from what I’ve been reading. I decided to buy and try out At Home In Mitford. Of course, this series has been around for ages, but it just seemed like what I might need right now. 

Anything by Colleen Coble. The Aloha Reef series is fun. Check out her website. Mainly gentle mystery with some side story similar to Irene Hannon.

Dani Pettrey, also mystery/ crime but nothing heavy.

• Thanks 1

Number 1, Ladies Detective series is fairly cleanish, and usually “feel good”. 

• Like 2

Definitely James Herriott. Start with All Creatures Great and Small.

• Like 4

The Curious Charms of Arthur Pepper and other books by Phaedra Patrick 

The Keeper of Lost Things by Ruth Hogan

I really enjoyed all of these books.  Not so much on the belly laughs but I liked them.  

2 hours ago, mmasc said:

Mitford grew on me. If you read from first to last you get to follow Dooley Barlow from being a little kiddo to becoming a man.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pen said:

I'll counter with the Isabel Dalhousie series by the same author (Alexander Mccall Smith). There's actually at least one more series iirc. 

It's rarely laugh out loud funny but it is light and entertaining. There is consensual adult sex outside of marriage but not 'sex scenes.' 

5 hours ago, Monica_in_Switzerland said:

If you or the people in your life enjoy hunting, fishing, camping, then Patrick McManus is LOL funny.  

I was going to suggest his books. The first time I read one I laughed so hard I was crying.

• Like 1

I tend to go toward biography style books - Betty MacDonald (Mrs. Pigglewiggle) wrote one for her adult audience called The Egg & I.  It meets all your criteria. 🙂

• Like 2

It's been many years since I read Please Don't Eat the Daisies as a teen, but the reviews on Amazon suggest it's held up well. Very funny stories about kids, the dog and suburbia, as I recall, and 1950s vintage cleanliness. I remember giggling aloud until my mother came over to see what I was reading and smiled in agreement.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0449240991/ref=cm_cr_arp_mb_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8

Edited by Innisfree
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Pen said:

I second these. 

Ohhh, I know! 

Have you read the Mapp and Lucia books?

Highly recommended.

Product description

E. F. Benson’s beloved Mapp and Lucia novels are sparkling, classic comedies of manners set against the petty snobberies and competitive maneuverings of English village society in the 1920s and 1930s. 

Benson’s series revolves around two unforgettable characters, both forceful and irrepressible women who dominate their respective villages in southern England and who will eventually end up hilariously at war with each other. Lucia is the more deadly of the two, with her pretentious tastes, treacherous charm, and lust for power. Miss Elizabeth Mapp, on the other hand, is younger and more forceful and able to terrify her opponents into submission. Benson introduces these splendid comic creations in the first two novels of the series,Queen Lucia (1920) and Miss Mapp (1922).

Review

“Benson’s Lucia novels . . . are camp, sly, poisonous, piquant, stinging, clever, and as delightful as a glass of sweet sherry taken on a sun-dappled lawn.” —The Telegraph (UK) 

“Entirely delightful. . . . Superbly ridiculous. . . . Benson constructs a comedy that is as exquisite, in its way, as anything in English humorous literature.” —Auberon Waugh, The New York Times 

https://www.amazon.com/Queen-Lucia-Miss-Mapp-Novels/dp/1101912103/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?keywords=mapp+and+lucia+books&qid=1559737856&s=gateway&sprefix=mapp+an&sr=8-1

10 hours ago, mmasc said:

All the Mitford books are great!

• Like 2

Now I’m getting excited to read my pick!

(The only reason I haven’t started it is because I found one of my authors had put out another book that I didn’t know about, so I’m reading it first. Just FYI in case anyone is interested, it’s TE Kinsey Lady Hardcastle series. Lazy, cozy, British ‘murder’ mystery that I’ve quite enjoyed)

13 hours ago, mmasc said:

The Mitford series is VERY clean.  There are deeper ideas in the series and funny moments. But it is mostly a "slice of life" type book and very good.  As the series go on they address more serious issues though.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, mmasc said:

Now I’m getting excited to read my pick!

(The only reason I haven’t started it is because I found one of my authors had put out another book that I didn’t know about, so I’m reading it first. Just FYI in case anyone is interested, it’s TE Kinsey Lady Hardcastle series. Lazy, cozy, British ‘murder’ mystery that I’ve quite enjoyed)

Oh, thanks for the reminder! I read the first one a few years ago. I don't remember if it was free or available for loan from one of the Kindle loan programs (not Unlimited b/c I don't have that). I enjoyed it and always meant to read more but other books got in the way and I completely forgot about the series. 

• Like 1

Seconding P G Wodeouse.  The Code of the Woosters is hilarious.

I remember loving Shirley Jackson's Raising Demons.  Not a creepy book like her better-known novels.  It's been years, so I don't know if I would like it now. 

Also have fond memories of The Egg and I, mentioned above. 

Thanks for the mention of the Mapp & Lucia books; just requested one from the library!

12 hours ago, HomeAgain said:

I tend to go toward biography style books - Betty MacDonald (Mrs. Pigglewiggle) wrote one for her adult audience called The Egg & I.  It meets all your criteria. 🙂

The Egg and I was incredibly depressing for me. It’s about a couple that relocated to the PNW and try to run a poultry farm. She seemed isolated and depressed. If you have ever had to haul water, light a fire for heat, or lived a rural lifestyle you may be left really angry by how little her dh did and how much work was dumped on her.

They’re not funny, but they’re gentle and clean:  books by the artist Thomas Kincaid.  You don’t have to read them in order, they can stand alone, but if you read them roughly in order, you will slowly see the changes in the lives of the people in the village he writes about.  Like, maybe a character who is going off to college in one book will come home and fall in love in another book and then in a later book get married and have kids.  It’s not critical to the plots to read them in order, but it’s nice to.  You would be able to follow along if you accidentally read about her marriage and kids in one book and then jumped back to when she’s leaving for college, but it’s probably nicer to read them in as much order as you can.  There’s a slew of them, so don’t fret if you can’t read them in the order they were written.