Menu

You know what is nice?

HomeAgain

Young adults. 🙂 

I called up my nephew yesterday.  This is a big month full of milestones for him, including high school graduation and even though we're not there I wanted him to know we're all thinking about him.  I've watched this kid grow up, and it hasn't always been easy.  LOL He and I have had a few tussles of our own when he was a tween and he was just at that exasperating stage.  But I love him dearly, and I love seeing the person he is becoming, even if it is from afar.  I am so glad to have a relationship with him where he and I talked about everything under the sun for an hour or so and he didn't feel awkward about sharing it all with a fuddy old aunt.  And then when we were done he texted me pictures of himself and his girlfriend, and prom, and whatever else he could think of.

This was after I did a community event where the teens took charge of different aspects, helped with all the younger kids, encouraged them in their games, and generally pitched in wherever they could.  The whole thing ran smoothly because of the work they put in and how they were welcomed into the more adult part of the community as they grew out of interest in the kid side.  I looked around toward the end and noticed that these kids had quietly done one last bit of emptying the garbage cans, picking up the sports equipment, and visually sweeping the area to make sure no trash was left around.

There are sometimes we look at our own kids and we're so close to their lives that we don't see them like everyone else does.  I can say that I am so glad to see the next generation becoming adults.  Even if they're sullen and moody at home, they seem to be different folks when they're out and about, and watching them step up and embrace adulting is a joy for the rest of us.

• Like 13

34 minutes ago, HomeAgain said:

There are sometimes we look at our own kids and we're so close to their lives that we don't see them like everyone else does.  I can say that I am so glad to see the next generation becoming adults.  Even if they're sullen and moody at home, they seem to be different folks when they're out and about, and watching them step up and embrace adulting is a joy for the rest of us.

^especially. If I know the moms, I try to send them a message stating what I saw their kid do that was good - because parents need to know that their kid is being great sometimes (or all the time!). 

I hear people complain about teens, and I've seen some teens that seem oblivious, but I don't think it is because they don't care, but it is because they don't see yet or are unsure what to do to help. I see teens who are trying and doing a good job!

• Like 1