Menu

PSAT prep question

I’ve asked a couple questions before regarding this test for this kid but we just have no experience with it. So bear with me, please 🙂

Out state cutoff for NMSF this past year was 219. Today ds took a practice PSAT. First time even glancing at the PSAT or SAT so totally cold regarding this test but he has taken the ACT a couple times.

Anyway- he scored a 209 selection index on his practice test (a 1400 total score?)

He is a rising junior so he really has just over four months to prep. He is very willing to prep but is it even possible to improve that much (10 points selection index)? I’m happy to support him prep but I’m really not  a fan of test prep if there isn’t a specific attainable goal. We have a specific goal here but is that much improvement attainable? I do realize our state cutoff will likely increase but I will have him prep and test if he is even close so that doesn’t factor in really.

Long messages just to ask how much improvement is even possible with dedicated study over just four months?

I realize this PSAT stuff really is not as complicated as it seems to me. We just have never paid any attention to the PSAT or SAT so I don’t have a handle on what the scores represent and how hard it is to move a certain number of points.

That's 50 pts verbal or 100 pts math. I know there is a possibility of that much improvement over a year. Four months isn't much, but maybe? Is there a school that gives a big NMF scholarship that he'd be interested in?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RootAnn said:

That's 50 pts verbal or 100 pts math. I know there is a possibility of that much improvement over a year. Four months isn't much, but maybe? Is there a school that gives a big NMF scholarship that he'd be interested in?

There would be a couple possibilities.  

I think he even likes the possibility of being Commended even though it doesn’t come with money. So I guess he’ll go for it.  He is my third ds and I think he is enjoying his academic side setting him apart from the older brothers and their successes. So he is motivated by that as well as by expanding college possibilities. I’ll just make sure he keeps perspective. I am always walking the line between not liking the test prep and stressing about scores while also absolutely needing the scores for money. Grr. 

On 6/3/2019 at 6:58 PM, RootAnn said:

OP, this post by RootAnn is VERY important. The way that the selection index is calculated makes the verbal section more important. How much room for progress is there on your son's two verbal sections? If he has room to grow and limited time, I'd focus more heavily there, because you will get more of a selection index boost.

ETA: Khan Academy has PSAT/SAT test prep, and my understanding is that one can adjust the level (so set it at hard.) Since they are working with the College Board, the questions are similar. Also, it's free, so that's a good place to start. I think the Princeton Review books are good for higher-end studying, as well.

Edited by JoJosMom
  • Like 2

How much difference is there between PSAT and SAT? Is the former noticeably easier than the latter? Also should a student be prepping with SAT prep books or is it better to get something specifically for PSAT?

i am realizing how quickly we are approaching all these testing. 

hmm...as far as I understand his scores he got a 690 verbal and 710 math.  So both scores have some room for growth, a little more on the verbal. Doesn't seem totally out of range to improve, especially as he had no idea what the PSAT even was until he sat down at the table and took it. No familiarity with the PSAT or SAT at all and he was taking it as his last assignment before starting his summer 🙂 So, knowing him I think it is at least a possibility and worth a shot.

But I'm also looking at any intensive PSAT prep also helping him with the SAT which might be more important. His top choice school at the moment doesn't do much for NM but his projected SAT score based on the PSAT is very close to the top automatic award- closer than his current ACT. So, it doesn't seem as though PSAT prep would be wasted if he doesn't make NMF.  The SAT might be his best shot at the top scholarship anyway. So that at least makes me feel alot better about spending time on a one shot test that he would need everything to go his way to qualify. 

He is going to have plenty of time in his schedule this fall. He is switching from a heavy load of online classes to dual enrollment and I know from experience with his older brothers that the workload in his de classes will be less than he is used to.  So working test prep into his schedule won't be difficult. And he is a kid that makes himself a detailed schedule every Sunday and sticks to it. So I think he will be diligent with prep. We'll see. I'm actually really happy with his scores as is so it is hard to get worked up about those very few points still left out there to scrape up.  But so much money on the line it is worth a shot!

• Like 1

Okay, top PSAT score is 760 in each section, so he has 70 pts to move with verbal (14 SI pts) and 50 for math (5 SI pts). I'd go with what @JoJosMom recommends and focus more heavily on the verbal prep. Erica Metzler books are supposed to be pretty good for that although we didn't see any bump there. (DD said they just messed her up.)

The SAT has similar questions to the PSAT although the difficulty might be slightly greater for the SAT in terms of math topics on the exam or depth of analysis on the reading section. The time-per-question is identical, I believe, except the PSAT actually gives over 10 seconds more per question on the Math-No-Calculator portion than the equivalent section on the SAT. The PSAT is the shorter test (165 minutes vs 180) as it has less questions (139 vs 154). I would say, overall, that prepping for the SAT will get you ready for the PSAT.

Khan has physical (paper) versions of the practice tests available. I always recommend taking the practice tests in as close to the testing circumstances as possible. For us, that means on paper, timed, with only the breaks allowed on the actual testing day. Khan will allow you to go in and enter the paper answers into their online system after-the-fact and then will adapt practice to what type of questions he missed on the practice exam. An important part of prepping for these exams is for him to check the reason why each answer was correct -- that means that he goes through and reads the justification for all the answers -- even those he got correct. SAT practice exams 3-5 are actual prior-administered exams, I believe. I'd start with #3. After going through a practice test (taking it, scoring it, reading all the why-this-answer-is-correct), I'd have him work on a prep book for tips/techniques (on the writing/reading portion especially), and also do about 20 minutes of practice per day on Khan's site.

• Thanks 2

So helpful, @RootAnn!

Thank you. For the first real thought we've given to the test to be four months before it will be taken, it is a little confusing to figure out the wacky scoring. The practice test he took was printed from Khan but I had no idea he could put his answers in for targeted practice. So thanks for that info. I am usually on top of all the kids have needed homeschooling and have it all figured out but now I'm floundering around trying to get my mind around how this works. And even if nothing comes of the PSAT it is good we have our minds open to him taking the SAT.

I know everyone always says to take both because some people do better on one than the other. I know that intellectually but we had just been in the comfort zone with the ACT (third kid here, each taking it multiple times) and he did pretty well on it so we were just cruising along with that. Honestly, my kids are good but not great scorers and this stuff for the highest scorers just has never applied to us as we have never been at the level to worry about it. It wasn't really on my radar for this kid either as he hasn't taken any AP classes or done anything super rigorous like his peers that are high performers are, but his practice tests for the April ACT, the actual ACT, and now this practice PSAT have us realizing he is going to be a higher scorer than we anticipated. Which is great for him but just leaving me scrambling a bit just making sure he doesn't miss an opportunity because I underestimated him. 

Thanks for letting me talk it out. LOL

A little OT, but since this is about the PSAT/NMSQT...   If anyone reading this thread has DC who qualify as "Hispanic" or "Latino", it is imperative that they indicate that, when they "bubble in" the answer form for the PSAT/NMSQT, because that examination is also used to select "National Hispanic Scholars".

Also, it is imperative the students set up a special email account, only for school, before taking the PSAT/NMSQT or the Pre ACT (is that what it is called?) examinations.  Most of the emails received from universities can be discarded, quickly, but some are jewels and should be studied carefully.