Menu

Has anyone received a call from Dept of SSA?

crazyforlatin

I keep getting that one over and over again. They even leave voicemails when I reject the call. If I block the number they just spoof a different number. It's so frustrating. 

13 hours ago, crazyforlatin said:

Every few weeks I get a call from the Chinese Embassy about my passport. I've never even been to China. 

Dh and I have both occasionally received robo calls that are actually in Chinese, or possibly some other Asian language. I don't know enough about any of the languages to distinguish but from the little I do know I think it's Chinese.

ETA: I just decided to search and found this. The weird thing is my area doesn't have much of a Chinese immigrant population, who are the target of these calls. Most immigrants here are Puerto Rican, Cuban, Indian, and a small number of Mexicans. Not many from Asia other than India. 

Chinese Robocalls Bombarding the U.S. Are Part Of An International Phone Scam

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 1

I haven't gotten that one, but

• there is no such thing as suspending a SSN (What are they going to do, stop accepting payroll taxes from people's employers??)
  • it's not even called the "department of," just the Social Security Administration, and
  • they wouldn't have anyone's phone number unless you have just placed an inquiry with them, which would probably be better handled in person.

Edited by 73349
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, whitehawk said:

My current strategy with spam calls is to get them to connect me to a live person and then play a heavy metal mp3 at them until they hang up.

I start singing. Trust me. No one, not even my loving family, likes to hear me sing. 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Lady Florida. said:

I keep getting that one over and over again. They even leave voicemails when I reject the call. If I block the number they just spoof a different number. It's so frustrating. 

Dh and I have both occasionally received robo calls that are actually in Chinese, or possibly some other Asian language. I don't know enough about any of the languages to distinguish but from the little I do know I think it's Chinese.

ETA: I just decided to search and found this. The weird thing is my area doesn't have much of a Chinese immigrant population, who are the target of these calls. Most immigrants here are Puerto Rican, Cuban, Indian, and a small number of Mexicans. Not many from Asia other than India. 

Chinese Robocalls Bombarding the U.S. Are Part Of An International Phone Scam

I've been getting quite a few - in Chinese.  my son took mandarin, and dh's nephew is married to a Chinese national.  

16 hours ago, crazyforlatin said:

Every few weeks I get a call from the Chinese Embassy about my passport. I've never even been to China. 

in English?  how else would you know it's about your passport?  or do yo speak mandarin?

37 minutes ago, crazyforlatin said:

What a relief to know that they target far and wide. 🤨 

Even after I block the Chinese calls, a new one shows up. What I'm wondering is what do they have to gain from a passport question? 

Identity theft?