Menu

Book a Week 2019 - BW23: Whodunit Bookology - Guido Brunetti

Robin M

Welcome @Pen So glad you decided to join us.  

Yeah! Wolf Rain released a couple days ago.  Loving it so far! @melmichigan  Hope your copy arrives soon. 

@mumto2 Keeper of Lost Causes looks really good. Adding it to my wishlist. 

@Ali in OR  Great job persevering on the thread mill.  I have yet to get back into walking every day.  Too busy decluttering to have any energy in the evenings.  We're heading out this weekend to get new mattresses for both us and James so cleaning out stuff from under the beds. Didn't realize it was so dusty and furry under there.  Cough cough!

@Kareni  Awesome links! Thanks.

@tuesdayschild  You are making great progress with all your books.  I think you asked last week about letting go of the books in the trunk. Didn't have any problem with those as I kept favorite authors. Lots were ARC's that I no intention of ever reading again.    Found out this week it's so much harder to let go if hubby isn't there to push me to make an instant decision.  Looking through books stored in bins under the bed. Most were series books.  One off's  I have no problem letting go but this time I couldn't let go of nary a one.  😉

@Junie I do the same thing when reading a book I really enjoy. I have to force myself to slow down and savor. Which is why lots of times I read it once fast and then once again much more slowly since I can savor as I know what's happened already. 

@Liz CA Hope you recover from the move soon! 

Edited by Robin M
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

@Violet Crown  Now I'm curious about Exemplary Stories as I liked Don Quixote.  Vatican Cellars. Look forward to hearing what you have to say about it.  Will add to my wishlist for next year.

@Pen  What did you think of the Donna Leon book, the story and/or her writing? 

@mumto2  Oh, I love Laura Griffin and it's been a while since I've read Untraceable. One I should add to my reread list. 

Great job with your 10x10's so far. I haven't been keeping track and will have to update to see where I'm at.  Don't know if I should count rereading the whole psy/changeling series as one for Silence or just consider it done.   

• Like 4

My 10 x 1 0 are and what I've accomplished so far - trying for no overlap 

1% of 1001 Books  (1) 

Book Chain  (0)

Creative Nonfiction  (8)

Digits and Directions  (3)

Fantasy Rules  (4)

Hubby's Picks  (0)

Revisit old Friends  (3) 

Sound of Silence  (2) 

Who's on First  (2) 

Whodunits  (3)

I seem to be more in a reread mood rather than newbies.  Want to revisit Black Dagger Brotherhood series sooner rather than later. 

Oh my goodness.  Look what hubby just discovered hiding at the rear of the property we're renovating in back of all the contractor's stuff.    Momma cat and four kittens.  Mercy, my heart just melted. 

Image may contain: cat

Edited by Robin M
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, Robin M said:

@Pen  What did you think of the Donna Leon book, the story and/or her writing? 

I have liked Donna Leon and the Brunetti series for awhile now, though less consistently so than some other series. 

I didn’t especially like the first book of the series, though it’s typical of authors to improve as they progress.  I’m glad I didn’t drop the series because I very much liked the second.  I recommended them to my mom and suggested she start with number 2, then if she liked it to read number 1 second. 

I like many of her characters a lot, and the Venice setting.  I like the frequent environmental themes.  

A few of the later books seem to decline. In an interview I heard she said she thinks she made the mistake in a few books of not giving the audience someone—I forget exactly what she said—but as I recall it was along lines of someone (other than Brunetti) to identify with and root for.  And that could be it.  

I like that the Brunetti books don’t always end with a typical wrap up of the bad guys are all caught and justice fully done. 

My favorite I think is the one called Beastly Remains, However I liked Unto Us a Son is Given quite well.

2 hours ago, Robin M said:

Great job with your 10x10's so far. I haven't been keeping track and will have to update to see where I'm at.  Don't know if I should count rereading the whole psy/changeling series as one for Silence or just consider it done.   

I didn’t find a listing of 10x10 topics—if it’s in your sig I’m exclusively using smartphone recently and can’t see those.  

Since I have come in half way through year I think maybe I’ll go for 10x5.

I did find the upcoming sleuths books list and am extremely intrigued by the one from Ghana.  I may be unable to wait for its month. 

• Like 5

@Pen  Here is the link. We discussed last year and I posted info at the beginning the year, but I didn’t add it to the blog.  There aren’t any specific categories since everyone had different interests so each person choose what they wanted to do.   Just something fun to add to the mix. 

Scroll down to the fourth comment in the post.

Edited by Robin M
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

My 10x10 categories are:

Agatha Christie Perpetual Challenge (6)......over on 52 books, reading all the Christie’s in order of publication is my long term goal

Nordic Noir (4)

Outer Space (2).......I have read all the Murderbots and a majority of The Expanse this year, but as my major goal is to try new Sci Fi.........

Alternate Worlds(4)

The Last Book in..........(4)  At this point I am only counting series that are most likely complete

The New (to me) Cozy Sampler (5)

Set in Scotland  (7)

Brexit Special (6) so far Finland, Czech Republic, Ireland, Spain, France, Netherlands 

Asian Detectives (4) so far India, Singapore, China, Laos

Sound of Silence (7) ........over on 52 books

Making this list led to my hunting for detectives set in other countries and I ran into a helpful link https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/books/features/crime-fiction-around-the-world-in-80-sleuths-873660.html.  I now have a Mongolian Detective!  This list also had some interesting Nordic Noir ideas.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Yesterday I finished  The Enchanted Hour: The Miraculous Power of Reading Aloud in the Age of Distraction by Meghan Cox Gurdon which was both sobering and enjoyable to read. This would be a good book to give to new parents. It reminds me of Jim Trelease's The Read-Aloud Handbook  but with fewer book recommendations and with added material about the importance of reading aloud at ALL ages.

"A Wall Street Journal writer’s conversation-changing look at how reading aloud makes adults and children smarter, happier, healthier, more successful and more closely attached, even as technology pulls in the other direction.

A miraculous alchemy occurs when one person reads to another, transforming the simple stuff of a book, a voice, and a bit of time into complex and powerful fuel for the heart, brain, and imagination. Grounded in the latest neuroscience and behavioral research, and drawing widely from literature, The Enchanted Hourexplains the dazzling cognitive and social-emotional benefits that await children, whatever their class, nationality or family background. But it’s not just about bedtime stories for little kids: Reading aloud consoles, uplifts and invigorates at every age, deepening the intellectual lives and emotional well-being of teenagers and adults, too...."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 5

On 6/7/2019 at 8:41 AM, mumto2 said:

My 10x10 categories are:

Agatha Christie Perpetual Challenge (6)......over on 52 books, reading all the Christie’s in order of publication is my long term goal

Nordic Noir (4)

Outer Space (2).......I have read all the Murderbots and a majority of The Expanse this year, but as my major goal is to try new Sci Fi.........

Alternate Worlds(4)

The Last Book in..........(4)  At this point I am only counting series that are most likely complete

The New (to me) Cozy Sampler (5)

Set in Scotland  (7)

Brexit Special (6) so far Finland, Czech Republic, Ireland, Spain, France, Netherlands 

Asian Detectives (4) so far India, Singapore, China, Laos

Sound of Silence (7) ........over on 52 books

Making this list led to my hunting for detectives set in other countries and I ran into a helpful link https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/books/features/crime-fiction-around-the-world-in-80-sleuths-873660.html.  I now have a Mongolian Detective!  This list also had some interesting Nordic Noir ideas.

cool!

I’m borrowing “around the world in 80 books” perhaps all or mostly detective fiction as a category!

here’s my not 10x10

poetry:  aim 3– I ‘d like to particularly track down some poets used for “Ruth’s”  poetry in Louise Penny Gamache books; plus WSMerwin; Billy Collins

non-fiction creative or not : aim 10

around the world in ____ Books : aim of 40 for half year remaining

ha-ha: funny book  

Maybe fantasy

Sci-fi

maybe Neil Gaiman’s graphic comics that Luther series is based on.  My teenager got me following Luther

something else...I thought of it and then poof

would a child book in a foreign language count if it’s a struggle? 

@mumto2 I also read all the Murderbots.  If you find good outer space stuff please let me know,  I think we probably largely like similar books

Edited by Pen
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Pen said:

mumto2 I also read all the Murderbots.  If you find good outer space stuff please let me know,  I think we probably largely like similar books

I'm not mumto2, but I also liked the Murderbot series. I'll sneak in my recommendation for SK Dunstall's Linesman series which starts with (surprise!) Linesman.

You might also consider Fortune's Pawn (Paradox Book 1) by Rachel Bach

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Pen  The Expanse starting with Leviathan Wakes https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/8855321-leviathan-wakes?ac=1&from_search=true is really good.  My Dd plus @melmichigan have also been enjoying these.   I am currently waiting for the next book which is a new release.  There is a TV series based on the series on Amazon currently but I haven’t attempted to watch it.

I really haven’t read that much Sci Fi which is why it’s one of my 10x10’s.    Last year I read The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet and the sequels and loved them https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/22733729-the-long-way-to-a-small-angry-planet?ac=1&from_search=true. This is a whole new area for me book wise and I am rather amazed that I enjoy them.  I have identified a few that I want to try......I have been waiting because of The Expanse series.....

14 minutes ago, Kareni said:

I'm not mumto2, but I also liked the Murderbot series. I'll sneak in my recommendation for SK Dunstall's Linesman series which starts with (surprise!) Linesman.

The Linesman is on my list!

I have A Big Ship at the Edge of the Universe on my Kindle https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/35520564-a-big-ship-at-the-edge-of-the-universe and am waiting for my hold on Pandora’s Star https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/45252.Pandora_s_Star?ac=1&from_search=true.

• Like 3