Menu

Hey Everyone! I'm back! - Q. Sonlight vs HOD

Well it has been a few years since I have posted but all is good. I am a nurse now and 3 of my 5 have graduated. Actually #3 is graduating tomorrow from PS. My 4th daughter is in high school in PS and my son has also been in PS. Next year I am homeschooling him because he missed 21 days of school this year due to flare-ups with his Crohn's disease. So, I am going to have him do 7th grade at home. I am an RN Case Manager and I visit patients in their homes so I my schedule is very flexible. I'll be able to monitor his progress every day. 

So I would like some opinions. I have decided to use either Sonlight Eastern Hemisphere https://www.sonlight.com/FC5 or HOD Revival to Revolution https://www.heartofdakota.com/revival-to-revolution-packages.php. I would love opinions on these two programs in particular and also your opinion on the book choices in each. It is good to be back ladies! 

Welcome back!

I did love Sonlight Eastern Hemisphere for my older 2 dc.  I plan to do that one with ds 3, but he's only heading into 2nd grade.  I don't know about the other curriculum.

Dh has Crohns ( currentyly in remission!) and plenty of people in his family do as well.  He missed 3 months straight of schooling in high school.  It's too bad homeschooling wasn't much of a thing back then.  

56 minutes ago, Mbelle said:

Welcome back!

I did love Sonlight Eastern Hemisphere for my older 2 dc.  I plan to do that one with ds 3, but he's only heading into 2nd grade.  I don't know about the other curriculum.

Dh has Crohns ( currentyly in remission!) and plenty of people in his family do as well.  He missed 3 months straight of schooling in high school.  It's too bad homeschooling wasn't much of a thing back then.  

Mbelle, did you notice my user name? Funny! What did you love about Eastern Hemisphere specifically? 

17 minutes ago, Michelle My Bell said:

Mbelle, did you notice my user name? Funny! What did you love about Eastern Hemisphere specifically? 

I read your name but did not connect ! LOL

we do mostly classical education and one drawback to that is there is not a lot of eastern/africa etc...study.  I like to focus on that one year for some fun and exposure and a change of pace.  We still did a lot of classical education, but we put in the time to read the books in EasternHemisphere and do some of the activities.  It's been awhile since we did it, so I can't remember all of it.  I wish I still had all the books for my little guy.

• Like 1

I would choose the SL core, but that's just a matter of personal preference.  HOD always looked really dry to me for some reason.

We've 2 levels of SL now...but only the high school levels.  My plan is for dd11 to do SL HBL W (one year world history next year) and then HBL 100 the year after that.  

I cringe giving SL any of my money.  I don't feel like they care about their customers.  They completely turned off their forum this year...  Their IG prices have skyrocketed, when most of their IG s are just over-glorified reading schedules with some comprehension questions thrown in.  Their writing assignments at the high school level are really strange - we stick to our own writing.

Unfortunately, some of my kids really SL, so I'm probably trapped buying their stuff.  

On a positive note, our last school year using cores 100 and 300 was one of our best school years...  My teens learned a TON.    

I’ve never used Sonlight, but I feel like you would have more flexibility with it. HOD has SO many boxes (subjects) - it just feels like a lot, even when some of it is short. I would rather streamline which seems like it might work better with SL. Does your ds have an interest in one topic over the other?  

And congratulations!  It’s nice to see you again!