Menu

Miniature Schnauzers?

Laura Corin

One of our neighbors up the street has one who is getting close to a year old. Our dog plays with her a few times a week. She's a nice, sweet dog but she's pretty wild in the energy department. But they have a youngish son (maybe 8-9) and I think she feeds off of his energy a lot. I suspect in an all adult home or with older, calmer kids she'd be considerably calmer. You do need to be a bit careful with their diet and keep it relatively low fat, since the breed has a tendency toward dietary induced pancreatitis. And ditto the potential skin issues @Arctic Mama mentioned. 

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 1

Thank you. My neighbour hasn't had problems with her dog digging in the garden or running off after rabbits. Do you think she's just been lucky? We walk our dog for at least forty minutes a day currently, as well as letting her into the garden several times a day 

We have a 2 year old mini schnauzer.  We have never had an indoor dog before, so I wanted a no shed, no stink dog and he is mostly that. He is very sweet and loving.  We do have a fenced 1 acre backyard, so he has plenty of roaming space.  He does chase squirrel and even deer, which proved dangerous in the fall with the male deers all frisky.  The only down side to him is that when people come over he barks for a few minutes and is loud, but he adjust fairly quickly.  We trained him enough to not jump up, to sit, to not go out the door if we say "wait".  He learns very quickly and he could learn more easily.  He is a bit mischevous though and he knows it's wrong.  We have to be careful about leaving food out unattended(by  or he will sneak and get it.  I have tried several things to stop this, but I think I haven't been persistent enough.  He has not ever done any digging.  The first year we had chewing problems and had to put our shoes in baskets and away.  He also chewed the couch and the corner of the side board.  We did have antlers, bully sticks and congs with treats, but he still chewed so I would watch and not leave a young one alone.

They can be barkers. Some can be a bit dog aggressive...not in a Cujo way, but do make sure to socialize them when young. They are neat, tough little dogs. I don't recommend them for people with small children as they can be a bit nippy with them, but with older children they are great. 

1 minute ago, Ktgrok said:

They can be barkers. Some can be a bit dog aggressive...not in a Cujo way, but do make sure to socialize them when young. They are neat, tough little dogs. I don't recommend them for people with small children as they can be a bit nippy with them, but with older children they are great. 

Yes, my mini schnauzer went after Rottweiler!  Thankfully this out and he was leashed so I just drew him in.  

1 hour ago, Laura Corin said:

Thank you. My neighbour hasn't had problems with her dog digging in the garden or running off after rabbits. Do you think she's just been lucky? We walk our dog for at least forty minutes a day currently, as well as letting her into the garden several times a day 

Did you use a breed selector to see if miniature schnauzers are recommended for that level of exercise? They're exceptionally sedentary animals. Ours can walk maybe 20 minutes but then we'd have to carry him back. And that's a very slow walk. My dog never ever asks to go outside now. He's probably 7, I've lost track. When he was a puppy he enjoyed a few minutes. He likes maybe 10 minutes if you want him to walk out and back. And that's slow, whimsical, not in a park for exercise. 

So our MS is an exceptionally nice version, raised by a breeder who competes nationally. He's a perfect gentleman, always has been, is not yappy or anything bad at all that you can possibly think of. The only thing is he's part mule, so he's pretty opinionated about what he wants, how he wants it, whether he likes it, etc. So like for grooming, he got his ear nicked when ds ran by making him jump during grooming, so he has never liked it since. He doesn't fetch toys, only takes them out, which clearly is another failure on my part, lol. 

Really, he's wonderful and I call him my baby. I think the dogs tend to roll with the temperament of the parents, so I would probably get a dog from the breeder the neighbor use if you like their dog. But I'm not sure lots of exercise is realistic. These are pretty calm dogs. He never chews. The most he ever did was kind of scratch on the leather sofa at night to arrange himself, which was of course bad for the leather. He's entirely quiet except if someone comes to the door, but again that's the breeder, the parents, the breeding. 

Yes, the food we keep below 14% to avoid pancreatitis. I rotate with each bag to avoid allergies. No problems with his skin so far thankfully. Grooming you either are gonna do or you're going to have to keep him trimmed short, puppy cut. You *can* do a pulled coat, but I don't. On the beard, he looks wonderful with it long but that requires weekly bathing, combing to keep up with. I just finally gave up and took him short. If you have the time, the dogs are gorgeous groomed and fluffed out. The breeder will teach you how to groom him. I'm slow, so it takes me a couple hours to wash and groom him all the way. Like 2-3 if I'm really slow. But that's gonna be wash, eyebrows, ears, shave, sanitary, skirt, rough cut the legs and paws, blow dry, brush out, trim some more. What you're supposed to do is use chemicals (it's hair) to make the legs fluff and then trim them like sausages, hehe. It's fun unless you don't have time. He sometimes wears out, and like I said he's kinda mule-ish. I don't have a noose, so that's probably working against me. 

I love my dog, but next I'll probably get a bichon. Who knows. I'm really more of a cat person.

Ok, I'm sharing this link because the pic at the top is what my baby looks lke http://www.briarhillms.com  But if you look at the 2nd pic and some of the others on that site, that's hilarious how they've let them go yeti (which I actually do with my dog a lot) and blown them out. I just hadn't seen anybody doing that intentionally, lol. It's kind of really different, as normally you're going to keep them shaved pretty tight to get the contrast with the legs.

In the winter, their legs catch a lot of snow, so I have a rug at his door and rags. I usually knock the chunks off and then he has to wait to dry before he's let loose to run around.

@PeterPan the breed selector questionnaire I read said 45 minutes. Our current dog will walk 2 to 8 miles happily, then sleep the rest of the day. So not energetic but able to cover distance. Do you think that's not the case for MS? The breeder is in the countryside, so I was assuming a breed that could walk.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

I think this depends on the individual dog, but I’d say they weren’t big exercisers, if Skipper and Schezca were anything to go by.  A 45 minute brisk walk with plenty of nosing around would have been plenty for them, especially if they had other play time.  I wouldn’t call them tots couch potatoes but they weren’t Weimaraners, either 😉

Our current dog is a miniature Australian Labradoodle, exactly the same size as an MS. I'll have to ask my neighbour and the breeder about whether one could take one of our gentle hikes. I can't see carrying a dog. The normal daily walk would be two miles or so.

Edited by Laura Corin

1 minute ago, Laura Corin said:

Our current dog is a miniature Australian Labradoodle, exactly the same size as an MS. I'll have to ask my neighbour and the breeder about whether one could take one of our gentle hikes.

I would certainly think a MS could handle it. I know our neighbor’s could. Shoot, even our Shih Tzu loves 2 to 3 mile walks, and on the whole Tzus are much less active than MS. 

• Like 1

I still miss my miniature schnauzer, Max😢 We got him because DH thought our daughters needed another dog after our Lhasa apso died. He wasn’t a barker according to my friend who was raised with the breed. He loved me and only me❤️ We would have gotten another but for all the health issues. If they had a picture of a miniature schnauzer and related health issues, Max would be front and center. Have I said how much I miss him😢

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

@PeterPan the breed selector questionnaire I read said 45 minutes. Our current dog will walk 2 to 8 miles happily, then sleep the rest of the day. So not energetic but able to cover distance. Do you think that's not the case for MS? The breeder is in the countryside, so I was assuming a breed that could walk.

No, our dog would be visibly exhausted if we tried to do miles with him. I would talk with the breeder you're considering and ask them. No one wants an ill placement, especially when you're talking a lot of money. Some of these dogs are not bred to be active like that. They'll put it that the dog's feet never touch dirt, so no being in the country tells you nothing. We're surrounded by woods and fields and plenty of nature, but like I said the most my dog is going to do is a walk to the edge of the woods, maybe 10 minutes strolling out and then back. Then he's gonna NAP, lol.

There's a really active miniature schnauzer forum where you could post and get a broader sense. But really, I would just ask the particular breeder you're considering as they'll know how their particular dogs are.

Haha, so I'm googling this, just to see if I'm crazy, and several sites are copying content that all says the same thing, that they like an hour of exercise a day, blah blah. Well whatever, but just saying that isn't my dog and mine is a really high end show pedigree dog. He likes to run around the house in the evening while you throw him toys. Brief walks. And when he's tired it's visibly obvious he's tired. 

Maybe I have raised him to be a couch potato? LOL We have so many mill dogs in our state that just finding a dog that says it's that breed is NOT reflective of the breed. Mill dogs are going to tend to be hyper already. So I guess I would look at the specific breeder and their dogs and see how those dogs are.

Oh this is hilarious. Google agillity and miniature schnauzers. But yeah, not mine, lol.

Edited by PeterPan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Patty Joanna said:

If my dh finds out where you live, he will come and pet the living daylights out of your miniature schnauzer.  He adores them.  :0)

People who grew up with MS and come over to our house revert to little boys/girls.  LOL  They just love them and have great memories!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

We walk our dog for at least forty minutes a day currently, as well as letting her into the garden several times a day 

Our MS is only 2 he can easily do this and he pulls on his harness to go faster if we don't heel him.  However, we have a large back yard and dh works in the garden on the weekends and the dog is out most of the day when he works in the garden so he gets plenty of exercise. He lets us know when he wants to go out and run around.  When any of the kids are out he's out with them as well. he's fairly active.We live in a walkable community and if there is a festival or some other even he will go with us for 1-2 hours and be fine as long as we have water.  Having said that if we are inside he is content to settle in his bed and chill out.  He loves to just hang out with us.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mbelle said:

Our MS is only 2 he can easily do this and he pulls on his harness to go faster if we don't heel him.  However, we have a large back yard and dh works in the garden on the weekends and the dog is out most of the day when he works in the garden so he gets plenty of exercise. He lets us know when he wants to go out and run around.  When any of the kids are out he's out with them as well. he's fairly active.We live in a walkable community and if there is a festival or some other even he will go with us for 1-2 hours and be fine as long as we have water.  Having said that if we are inside he is content to settle in his bed and chill out.  He loves to just hang out with us.

That's what I was hoping for. Active when we are active, cosy at home. Off to email the breeder.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

mine is a really high end show pedigree dog

That *might* explain it. Show and field bred dogs are vastly different in some breeds (like Labs). Although I wouldn't think that would be true in smaller breeds, as most aren't bred for field or any other activity. Our Shih Tzu has a truly stellar show pedigree (as in multiple recent ancestors who showed at Westminster, most of whose feet I'm positive were never allowed to touch grass :sad:), and he can still easily handle several miles of walking. Does he need it? No, of course not. But we've always been active, and that's what he's used to, and he thoroughly enjoys it. Which leads me to this --

Maybe I have raised him to be a couch potato?

And yes, that's possible. Most dogs are very adaptable to their people (see my comment above about our activity).

But . . . even within a breed--any breed--there will be considerable variation between individuals.

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Arctic Mama said:

I think this depends on the individual dog, but I’d say they weren’t big exercisers, if Skipper and Schezca were anything to go by.  A 45 minute brisk walk with plenty of nosing around would have been plenty for them, especially if they had other play time.  I wouldn’t call them tots couch potatoes but they weren’t Weimaraners, either 😉

LOl, as someone on her second weimaraner foster .... yeah. 

1 hour ago, Laura Corin said:

Our current dog is a miniature Australian Labradoodle, exactly the same size as an MS. I'll have to ask my neighbour and the breeder about whether one could take one of our gentle hikes. I can't see carrying a dog. The normal daily walk would be two miles or so.

You would not have to carry a miniature schnauzer. They are good german dogs, and they absolutely will go for nice walks/hikes/etc. Most I've known are fairly active. 

55 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

No, our dog would be visibly exhausted if we tried to do miles with him. I would talk with the breeder you're considering and ask them. No one wants an ill placement, especially when you're talking a lot of money. Some of these dogs are not bred to be active like that. They'll put it that the dog's feet never touch dirt, so no being in the country tells you nothing. We're surrounded by woods and fields and plenty of nature, but like I said the most my dog is going to do is a walk to the edge of the woods, maybe 10 minutes strolling out and then back. Then he's gonna NAP, lol.

There's a really active miniature schnauzer forum where you could post and get a broader sense. But really, I would just ask the particular breeder you're considering as they'll know how their particular dogs are.

Haha, so I'm googling this, just to see if I'm crazy, and several sites are copying content that all says the same thing, that they like an hour of exercise a day, blah blah. Well whatever, but just saying that isn't my dog and mine is a really high end show pedigree dog. He likes to run around the house in the evening while you throw him toys. Brief walks. And when he's tired it's visibly obvious he's tired. 

Maybe I have raised him to be a couch potato? LOL We have so many mill dogs in our state that just finding a dog that says it's that breed is NOT reflective of the breed. Mill dogs are going to tend to be hyper already. So I guess I would look at the specific breeder and their dogs and see how those dogs are.

Oh this is hilarious. Google agillity and miniature schnauzers. But yeah, not mine, lol.

Probably due to being show lines. Show line dogs tend to be much more placid/calm than otherwise. Or yes, he just adapted to your life, and is out of shape/doesn't have much stamina. I can't imagine a MS that couldn't do a few miles, maybe not the first outing, but build up to it, absolutely. This is a breed bred to be running around on a farm all day, chasing and killing rats, protecting people and livestock, etc. Definitely a working, active breed. 

Edited by Ktgrok
  • Like 1

I've never owned one, but have known several! In our experience, they are:

Super smart dogs.

Tend to be barkers.

Active. 

Can be ornery. It's that intelligence... 😄

Will want to hunt down and throttle anything in your backyard, front yard, on a walk, etc, etc...

Love attention.

Half I've known have been lazy lap dogs when at home. The other half want no cuddles whatsoever! So that may be strictly personality based?

Generally are people-pleasers.

High maintenance coat.

Also, all of the ones I've known will eat anything and all have gotten into things they shouldn't have eaten - at least once.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

That *might* explain it.

Haha, I was watching him this morning and realized he's probably getting his exercise in the house, lol. He runs laps between the rooms and we throw toys between rooms, up onto the furniture, etc. So he's jumping up and down, running quite a bit, just indoors. Our floor plan is open and conducive to that. We do that most days till he's worn out.

Has anybody mentioned that these dogs are bolters? That's something I *think* is considered constant across the breed. We have to be constantly careful about the door, because he loves to just ZOOM out and investigate, and he's wicked fast. So like if we're bringing groceries, we have to shut the door to the kitchen so he can't dart out. Before we got him, I read an article about a woman who lost her MS that she had had like 12 years because he bolted out.

So like to take him out in the yard and just play with toys, we never do that because he's not like a lab who might stay with you and have some common sense. Now we did not take him to obedience school. You could do that and see how far you get. But if he's out, at least for us, he's always on a leash, on a line, and we're always vigilant about doors because of the bolting. Yeah, obedience school would be a good idea. They're crazy smart. Ha, maybe that's what I should do with ds this summer, send him to obedience school. Ds needs to go to obedience school, and the dog could be the excuse. :biggrin:

Here's a thread from way back on MS.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

Haha, I was watching him this morning and realized he's probably getting his exercise in the house, lol. He runs laps between the rooms and we throw toys between rooms, up onto the furniture, etc. So he's jumping up and down, running quite a bit, just indoors. Our floor plan is open and conducive to that. We do that most days till he's worn out.

A friend in NYC had one in an apartment living situation who went out on leash walks for fresh air and to potty, but got exercise playing indoors. 

Has anybody mentioned that these dogs are bolters?

I think that’s a frequent terrier problem. See vermin, or catch the slightest whiff of a vermin, or something that might be vermin, or imaginary vermin, or the hint of a possibility that there could be vermin, or a cat or a shadow which might as well be vermin ... and rush after it .  

They (terriers in general) also can get into holes and tight spots that they can’t get out of. 

However, as terriers go, ms are relatively cooperative. 

Edited by Pen
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dotwithaperiod said:

A while ago I joined a schnauzer rescue group, got cleared for adoption, etc. I think they can be quite the barker, because much ado is made when they rescue a quiet one.

I think they can trained to be quiet after alerting. They are good very watch dogs. 

Barking is probably also a terrier thing, but none I’ve known whether in city or country was it to a terrible degree.

I wonder if rescue tends to get problem barkers?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dotwithaperiod said:

My dream dog is a Norwich Terrier. They’re hard to find around here, maybe easier where you are?

I’d like a calm, mellow Jack Russell .  Or a short haired Border Terrier. 

• Like 1

@Laura Corin you might want to look at West highland white terriers too.  

My dentist had Westies who went to the office and were very nice dogs from my POV as a patient there.  Not over noisy, not destructive in that environment.  I believe he had a home digging station. 

Edited by Pen
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Pen said:

@Laura Corin you might want to look at West highland white terriers too.  

My dentist had Westies who went to the office and were very nice dogs from my POV as a patient there.  Not over noisy, not destructive in that environment.  I believe he had a home digging station. 

Unfortunately my stepmother had a Westie. There's a bit of family history there that I'm not keen to revisit. Difficult memories would be revived.

Nice enough dog, except that it couldn't bear anyone filling the car up with petrol. The first time it was on the back seat when that happened, it reached such a pitch of hysteria that the car ever after had four large chunks missing from the back seats. 

47 minutes ago, Pen said:

Do you have a garden area where you can set up a digging station? 

In the current garden yes. We are moving next year though. Would a dog stick to a designated area? Our current dog doesn't dig, so I have no experience.

1 hour ago, Dotwithaperiod said:

A while ago I joined a schnauzer rescue group, got cleared for adoption, etc. I think they can be quite the barker, because much ado is made when they rescue a quiet one. I also noticed they often have skin troubles, eye troubles( tho most of these seem to be in the > 7 year olds, diabetes and kidney( bladder?) stones as they get more elderly.

They are definitely adorable, but at this point I’m looking more towards a schnauzer mix, not pure bred.

I’ll also add that most of the adopters are people in my ( and your) age bracket. They seem to be really happy snuggling with their family on the couch, living the more relaxed, not so hectic life.

My MS had fatty tumors, which were left alone. He also developed a large tumor on his chest area, which the vet said if removed, only would grow back. He also developed bladder stones, a surgery later and special dog food, he never got them again. At 3 years, he started having teeth pulled because the jaw bone started to deteriorate. He was also prone to ear infections because we didn’t have his ears clipped. Once we started using a ear wash weekly, this cut down on that. He was good with kids and other people. He also wasn’t a digger and indifferent to other dogs. He really was the happiest when he was with me. He was a purebred, who we bought from someone who showed the breed around the country. The breeder wanted to keep him for show but sold him to us because the litter that we were to pick from earlier, had been miscarried. They really are great dogs, if trained early. I really would have gotten another but the vet bills😳

• Sad 2

I can’t guarantee it would stick to a station.  But I think a digging station so that it would know where it could dig would help.  Sort of like having designated acceptable chews rather than having no chewing outlet other than the furniture.   I gather it helps to bury things that smell tantalizing to help establish a dig station. 

I acquired a second hand dog who lost its first home due to a “little” digging problem.  Her people ‘s Landlords were very upset.  Turned out to be more of a major excavation and trenching problem.  Anyway the dog was willing to not dig in an area I didn’t want digging in (around house) in exchange for allowed digging elsewhere (in a field). It was a big 100 pound part Doberman which might or might not be part terrier related .  

I showed her where was okay with digging motions I made, not buried objects. 

• Like 1

I was the one who started the post quoted upthread from 2013 asking about advice for getting a MS puppy, so I'll chime in here...

The good:  Our MS is now 6 years old and she is an absolutely fabulous dog for our family.  She can walk 2-3 miles easily, has gone for (short) runs with my DS who is a cross country runner, and follows me around the house wherever I go.   She is very affectionate with our family and loves other dogs.   She is my baby!

The bad:  Unfortunately, there's quite a bit....

1. She barks a lot.   She barks when a package is dropped on our front porch, when the doorbell rings, when anyone knocks, or when anyone is in our yard.   Yes, she's protective, but this has been one thing we haven't been able to train out.
  2. She has very sensitive skin with environmental allergies and licks a lot.
  3. She had a bladder stone several years ago which required surgery.
  4. She has eaten more inappropriate things than I can count.   Legos, crayons, kleenex, string, kitty litter, cat droppings, sticks, toys, cotton balls, the list could go on and on.
  5. She swallowed some string (see above) which got caught in her intestine and needed surgery about a year ago.
  6. This past year, she has developed pancreatitis which necessitated switching her from the (expensive prescription) bladder stone kibble to another (expensive prescription) super-low-fat kibble.   She's had 4 flare-ups of pancreatitis since September.

Bottom line is that I absolutely love this dog, but the vet bills have cost us more than a very nice car.   

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

On the diabetes, yes they're prone to it. I periodically have to put my MS on a diet, hehe. He asks for food and likes a nightly treat, but it catches up with him. So right now I've trimmed him by maybe 15%, which I'll do for a while, just to get him slimmed back down. 

He's never done any of the eating house stuff. Maybe more sedate on that goes with the more sedate tempo? LOL 

On 6/6/2019 at 1:05 PM, SebastianCat said:

I was the one who started the post quoted upthread from 2013 asking about advice for getting a MS puppy, so I'll chime in here...

The good:  Our MS is now 6 years old and she is an absolutely fabulous dog for our family.  She can walk 2-3 miles easily, has gone for (short) runs with my DS who is a cross country runner, and follows me around the house wherever I go.   She is very affectionate with our family and loves other dogs.   She is my baby!

The bad:  Unfortunately, there's quite a bit....

1. She barks a lot.   She barks when a package is dropped on our front porch, when the doorbell rings, when anyone knocks, or when anyone is in our yard.   Yes, she's protective, but this has been one thing we haven't been able to train out.
  2. She has very sensitive skin with environmental allergies and licks a lot.
  3. She had a bladder stone several years ago which required surgery.
  4. She has eaten more inappropriate things than I can count.   Legos, crayons, kleenex, string, kitty litter, cat droppings, sticks, toys, cotton balls, the list could go on and on.
  5. She swallowed some string (see above) which got caught in her intestine and needed surgery about a year ago.
  6. This past year, she has developed pancreatitis which necessitated switching her from the (expensive prescription) bladder stone kibble to another (expensive prescription) super-low-fat kibble.   She's had 4 flare-ups of pancreatitis since September.

Bottom line is that I absolutely love this dog, but the vet bills have cost us more than a very nice car.   

I still think of getting another then I remember the vet bills😳. I also had him put down at home, I just couldn’t bear to take him to the vet again, where, at the last, he would tremble😢Hubby was deployed so he never saw that bill. Hubby said he never cared what it cost, he knew how much I loved that dog.

• Like 2