Menu

bird attacking - every day

gardenmom5

some type of finch is attacking its reflection in my living room windows every. single. day.   repeatedly.  not so hard as to hurt itself, but it's starting to get old.

any suggestions to get him to knock it off?  or does he just need to find a girl?

We had that happen at one of our houses years ago.  Every morning when it became fully light a grackle would repeatedly ram one of our widows.  He hit hard with no damage to himself but I feared for my window.  This went on for months....so no girl😉.  We sold the house after a few months so have no idea if he reappeared the next spring.

What finally worked was a life size ceramic springer spaniel the bil had given us as a joke. It couldn’t be set up before hand but after the first strike we put it on the dog’s crate (our dog refused to be involved 😂) and would go back to bed in peace. Our dog crawled in bed with me too!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Not the house, but there’s a male cardinal who hates my van and pickup truck only when I’m sitting in them talking on the phone. Four times that bird has dive bombed the driver window. Once the window was down and it flew into the car! 

So I don’t know. But I’m curious to find out. 

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, MissLemon said:

Our neighbor's peacock used to come yell at his reflection in my storm door every morning at 7 am.  I ran him off with my son's RC car.  

the park down the hill used to have peacocks.  they never visited, but I could hear them.  I actually miss them. 

though they can be very obnoxious.  one restaurant we've occasioned had extensive grounds, with ponds, flowers and birds. and there are peacocks.  we were seated on a terrace with the door open.  brazen peacock - it decided my cracker looked good and tried to steal it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rosie_0801 said:

🤣 Glad I didn’t watch that before bed!

Someplace on the web there is probably a a video of me having a sea gull land on my head and stealing the French fry I was in the process of putting in my mouth at  Downtown Disney.  The dc's were little, the three of us were screaming, and afterwards discovered all the devices pointing at us.  

4 hours ago, Melissa in Australia said:

you should try having some Australian Magpies

in nesting season they swoop people. they are very large a bit bigger than a crow. people wear hats or bike helmets with eyes drawn on them  to go outside if they have a magpie nesting near them

That doesn’t look like a British magpie. So interesting......more like a rook with white patches.  Huge bird, I guess I would be walking around with eyes on my hat in Australia.

12 hours ago, mumto2 said:

That doesn’t look like a British magpie. So interesting......more like a rook with white patches.  Huge bird, I guess I would be walking around with eyes on my hat in Australia.

Our magpies are very handsome. 
They are not huge, just medium sized. I have to walk under a nesting tree to go to and from the shops and use an umbrella. I didn't see them this past season, so I don't know if they moved house or if they got to know me and didn't see me as a threat any more.

10 hours ago, Dotwithaperiod said:

And peacock noises are so weird! We had several that moved to our yard from the neighbor’s. They’d stand at our windows and yell, poop their giant-Hershey’s kiss looking poo on the front porch, and sit along the peak of our roof. Our dog would eat their food just to tick them off.

Their call is very alarming!  It scared me half to death every time it yelled at the door, and it would make the dog bark, too.  This bird also got up on our roof a few times.  If I had a drone, I would have chased it off of there, as well. 

Of course, one of the times I was running the bird off with the RC car, my other neighbor's kids saw me do it and just stood there shocked, mouth agape.  So now I'm the crazy homeschooling lady that is mean to birds.    🙄

3 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

A neighbour gave me a tip: put a teddy in the window facing outwards.  This discouraged the crows that used to attack our windows.

We do this.  We've always used stuffed cats but, of course, any stuffed animal would do I'm sure! 

On 6/2/2019 at 9:41 AM, Pen said:

Maybe dirty windows would help. 

I bet it does since washing windows created this problem in our old house. After we washed windows, an extremely angry bird whitewashed one whole kitchen window and an ENTIRE sliding glass door. There were copious extra bombs dripping onto the back porch after the door was coated top to bottom. Excessive doesn't seem like a good enough word--the bird finger painted it all with its wings as well as leaving so much whitewash that I can only assume it brought friends. We were trying to sell the house at the time, and the realtor had never seen anything like it. If we cleaned it up, it would happen again with the same level of overkill! 

An owl helped.

7 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

A neighbour gave me a tip: put a teddy in the window facing outwards.  This discouraged the crows that used to attack our windows.

Another tip is to suspend an old CD or DVD from a string close to the window (inside) so that the CD can hang freely. It is supposed to reflect light off its shiny surface and scare off the birds.

Something like this, but, you could do it on the inside of the house at your window: