Menu

Duke TIP Geo no longer available. Answered my own question.

Memoria Press uses Jurgensen for geometry but doesn't have videos yet.

There is a guy on YouTube that has almost the whole book online. They are classroom videos, but pretty good. I owned the TIP materials at one time and wasn't that impressed. If my link didn't work, it is askmrh.

I can't remember if the book had chapter tests or not.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

Memoria Press uses Jurgensen for geometry but doesn't have videos yet.

There is a guy on YouTube that has almost the whole book online. They are classroom videos, but pretty good. I owned the TIP materials at one time and wasn't that impressed. If my link didn't work, it is askmrh.

I can't remember if the book had chapter tests or not.

I found a copy of test answers on the HmH (?) website for $20 so I ordered it. I figured I could possibly recreate the tests from the key if the tests aren't in the teacher manual. I just bought the student and solution manual--I need to find a copy of the teacher but I am not sure which one I need. Will it say in the student what the corresponding teacher ISBN is? 

Is it neurotic that I am thinking of downloading all of these videos? I don't need them for another year but if they are not there a year from now, I will be in trouble.  😃 We cannot afford WHA and I will definitely need the help. Maybe MP will come up with an asynchronous video? 

• Like 1

Search the MP forums. They listed the TM ISBN on a Jurgensen thread. Either that one or another says they have no video for geometry in the works. Don't know if that has changed.

I am not sure if you NEED the TM. It is nice to have, but the SM, IMO is more important.

• Like 1

If I had Geometry to do again, I'd do Derek Owens or Teaching Textbooks. We survived, (and dd aced all the geometry questions on the ACT), but it totally was not worth trying to do myself. We ended up with Holt/ Burger Videos/ Teacher One Stop. We started with Jacobs 2nd. I never attempted the Jurgensen book because it's solutions is said to be just okay. I still ended up working through plenty of problems to check answers as it was.

Edited by MamaSprout

10 hours ago, cintinative said:

Is it neurotic that I am thinking of downloading all of these videos? I don't need them for another year but if they are not there a year from now, I will be in trouble.  😃 We cannot afford WHA and I will definitely need the help. Maybe MP will come up with an asynchronous video? 

Since these are on YouTube, I don't think anyone will take them down. I've had stuff disappear, but usually when it's self hosted by a school, they get too much traffic to the one link and somebody notices.

Edited by MamaSprout
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, cintinative said:

Can you expand on this? I am not sure I understand. Do you mean the solutions manual is not robust enough?

My dd took the MPOA class last year and we used the solutions manual to check her homework. It usually just has the answer, not the solution. Sometimes it just refers you to the textbook. It's also very proof focused so there's often not just one solution to a problem. You need to know geometry well enough to be able to check the proofs if they differ from the solution manual. I failed miserably at this because I wasn't teaching the class, I was just checking the homework. The teacher did do a good job of going over any questions in class.

Homeschool Connections offers asynchronous videos and a grading and tutoring service but by the time you add it all up, MPOA is cheaper.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, chiguirre said:

My dd took the MPOA class last year and we used the solutions manual to check her homework. It usually just has the answer, not the solution. Sometimes it just refers you to the textbook. It's also very proof focused so there's often not just one solution to a problem. You need to know geometry well enough to be able to check the proofs if they differ from the solution manual. I failed miserably at this because I wasn't teaching the class, I was just checking the homework. The teacher did do a good job of going over any questions in class.

Homeschool Connections offers asynchronous videos and a grading and tutoring service but by the time you add it all up, MPOA is cheaper.

Thank you! I wonder if Homeschool Connections would do the grading only. I am still hoping to teach this myself.  I might be crazy. 😃

57 minutes ago, cintinative said:

Thank you! I wonder if Homeschool Connections would do the grading only. I am still hoping to teach this myself.  I might be crazy. 😃

Yes, it's $75/semester plus the $300 dollars for the yearly access. If you aren't using other classes, it costs almost as much as a live online class. Of course, if you use their other classes, it's a bargain.

• Like 1

My DH & I are both math enough, but DH refused to check homework or tests for geo because you have to pretty much be following along with your kid to know what they have learned & are learning to grade the proofs.

If you are teaching each chapter (or watching the YouTube videos and covering the chapter problems with him/her), this won't be horribly difficult. Just about as hard as taking the class yourself - which is pretty much what you will be doing to teach it using the videos.

The more hands-off you are, the more impossible it will be to help answer questions or grade the proofs. If you have the time, some mathiness, and the desire, I think you can do it. If you run into something beyond your ability & the SM's answers, post here. 👾

• Like 1

On 6/1/2019 at 10:38 PM, RootAnn said:

My DH & I are both math enough, but DH refused to check homework or tests for geo because you have to pretty much be following along with your kid to know what they have learned & are learning to grade the proofs.

If you are teaching each chapter (or watching the YouTube videos and covering the chapter problems with him/her), this won't be horribly difficult. Just about as hard as taking the class yourself - which is pretty much what you will be doing to teach it using the videos.

The more hands-off you are, the more impossible it will be to help answer questions or grade the proofs. If you have the time, some mathiness, and the desire, I think you can do it. If you run into something beyond your ability & the SM's answers, post here. 👾

So far I have always gone over the math with my son and then he does the problems.  So I anticipate that I will either go over the material or use the videos. 😃 I do like math, so that helps.  I am a bit nervous about geometry though because of the proofs. We have an acquaintance that teaches high school math. I thought maybe he would be willing to grade proofs if I pay him. I have a year to figure this out fortunately. 😃