Menu

What's with the ads?

EKS

Very important poll regarding mopping technique

What is your preferred mopping technique when using a sponge-headed mop? Assume that handedness corresponds the hand you prefer to write with.   

39 members have voted

1. 1. What is your preferred mopping technique when using a sponge-headed mop? Assume that handedness corresponds the hand you prefer to write with.

• I am right handed, and I prefer to place my left hand closest to the mop head
    • I am right handed, and I prefer to place my right hand closest to the mop head
    • I am left handed, and I prefer to place my left hand closest to the mop head
    • I am left handed, and I prefer to place my right hand closest to the mop head

I have this mop--the kind with a sponge on the end--that has a telescoping handle where you unscrew it a bit to move it in or out and then tighten it to keep it where you want it.

I have been cursing Rubbermaid's engineers since I got the thing because it always unscrews as I mop.  And I mean like right away.

Well, I think I figured it out, but I wanted to do a poll to see if perhaps I'm the weird one (very possible!).

So, what is your preferred mopping technique when using a sponge-headed mop?

Edited by EKS

I just finished mopping, but with a cotton mop-I assume I would use the same hand placement on a sponge mop.

Right handed and right hand is closest to mop head.

It took me a full minute of moving my hands around dumbly in front of the computer to get to the muscle memory to know what I do.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Do you hold one hand above and one below  (or on) the screw points? Or both hands above that?

You use a mop with a sponge??? I get on my hands and knees with a microfiber rag or I use my mopping machine. All of which also means I don't mop very often. :biggrin:

• Like 2

I picked left hand closest to mop head, but pretty sure I switch back and forth?

42 minutes ago, Pen said:

Do you hold one hand above and one below  (or on) the screw points? Or both hands above that?

I've tried both.  It unscrews both ways.  It doesn't unscrew at all when I reverse my hand position.

Left hand closer, so it acts as a stabilizer as my more accurate right hand pivots it around to cover the area just right.

ETA I don't usually use both hands with a sponge mop, but when I do, the above applies.  It also applies to brooms, which normally do require both of my hands..  🙂

Edited by SKL
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, EKS said:

I've tried both.  It unscrews both ways.  It doesn't unscrew at all when I reverse my hand position.

So was it designed to work for left hand closer to mop head?

I'm right handed and if using two hands probably put my left hand closer to the mop but really I mostly use just my right hand.

1 hour ago, Math teacher said:

I just finished mopping, but with a cotton mop-I assume I would use the same hand placement on a sponge mop.

Right handed and right hand is closest to mop head.

I think it is different for me depending on whether I am using a forward/backward motion (always with a sponge mop) or side to side (sometimes with a cotton mop). For side to side motion my right hand is closer to the mop, forward/backwards it is left hand if two handed.

1 hour ago, Pen said:

So was it designed to work for left hand closer to mop head?

Actually, the right hand.  

I thought that perhaps I was just doing things backwards for a right hander (it wouldn't be the first time), but so far, the poll is indicating that having the left hand toward the mop head is more typical. 

I have two reactions to this:

1.  What is this mopping that you speak of?

and

2.  I avoid telescoping handles for this very reason.  Just in general.  Except for my hiking poles which are pretty tight.

10 minutes ago, EKS said:

I thought that perhaps I was just doing things backwards for a right hander (it wouldn't be the first time), but so far, the poll is indicating that having the left hand toward the mop head is more typical. 

Odd.  I’d probably use duct tape glue on it to keep it from coming apart

17 minutes ago, EKS said:

I'm in the "right hand closer to mop head" group and I don't ever remember having problems with mop handles unscrewing...

nm

Edited by ```