Menu

Suggestions for CLEP books?

I posted last night so I could find your thread this morning if no one else had posted more detail.  My kids did CLEP exams, a whole lot of CLEP exams and received credit.  Spanish (Dd did French and German) is a wonderful exam because you can potentially get 12 credits.  We were able to get many exam study guides from the library so check there first.  REA were the best.  We also paid for a month of Instacert for my Ds when he was doing the history exams and he found it really useful.  It is a huge bank of test questions on the computer which we did not learn about until the end of our CLEP journey.  

FYI, My kids were also taking SAT Subject exams at the same time and found that the content on the exams was frequently similar so study material for the Spanish SAT Subject might be really useful...Dd studied for the French SAT but took both exams within the week, same for German.

You will also want to get a copy of The Official CLEP Study Guide 2019.  It has one copy of each exam and should reflect the current versions .  I read that they did some updates to some of the exams last year so I would buy or check out a copy of this to quickly compare to the study guide before they start using the review book.  We took the “official” exam the day before the actual to make sure they were ready.

• Like 5

My ds took a semester worth of CLEP exams and we subscribed to the online REA site for each test he took. http://rea.com/clep. They have practice tests there or you can buy the books and then get free access to a couple of practice tests. For extra practice tests, we used Peterson’s, which can also be found online. We also used Instantcert and/or Speedyprep flashcards for some of the exams.

• Like 5

We liked REA guides too. Used those for US 1 and 2, biology because we got them on the used sale.  Our library system has access (for free) the Peterson's prep exams.  Ask your reference librarian if your system has access to those.  Where I live it is called testing and education center powered by peterson's.  Middle gal is my clep exam taker extraordinaire.  After our regular homeschool high school stuff (with mfw), she brushed up with free online classes offered by modernstates.org and got vouchers that way for the clep exam.  and even reimbursed for test center fee.  check them out.  Then we studied with the free stuff with our library.  For English Lit, and Humanities, someone suggested we use instantcert dot com for flashcards.  for 20 dollars for month access, it was good thing for those exams. Not sure what English 1301 and 1302 are at your college for which clep exam will be used.   Middle gal passed 9 clep exams using combinations of those resources. US 1, US 2, biology, humanities, english lit, sociology, psych, amer govt, and pre-calculus.  But we didn't have spanish.   regarding the changes from about a year ago until last fall, many of the changes were not in content, but in how the number of questions in a subtopic were distributed.  more specifics can be found on this blog https://homeschoolingforcollegecredit.com/2018/12/07/clep-revisions-now-what/

Some of the exams my middle gal took were "after' the revisions and she still passed with the rea and peterson and modern states and instantcert.

• Like 6

My husband is also doing Instant Cert.  

He tried Modern States, and he got a lot out of it, and he “did” pass the test, but he felt like there was a lot he hadn’t seen.

But that also was probably a harder test (for him, with his background knowledge, etc).  

He passed History of the Vietnam War (maybe DSST) from watching the Ken Burns documentary (and taking notes etc) and background knowledge.

He passed a communication class (for the public speaking requirement) and ended up studying a set of cards on Quizlet for that.  He had studied some other things too a little. 

He was also happy to find out about Instant Cert Academy.  He has heard good things about it from two people he knows personally.  

• Like 1