Menu

How long are CAP W&R lessons?

ITS designed for one lesson a week every other week.  We did it 3 days a week to cover one lesson, each session lasting anywhere between 15-40 minutes depending on how we happen to break it up and how much resistance to writing I got.  But overall it isn’t the type of thing you can chunk into neat time slots. 

• Like 2

We do writing 4 days per week, and we generally cover about a lesson a week. I do usually skip the "Speak It" sections. That has us completing a book a semester, roughly. We started on book 1 and are currently on book 5.

Most of the time I look at a lesson and say, "Okay, first day of this lesson we should be able to get through about here, then second day through about here," etc. If I end up with 5 or 6 days for the lesson, I go back and reexamine to see if maybe I should make adjustments, or if it really will take us longer for that lesson. 

What Targhee says about one lesson a week every other week - they are thinking you will alternate between the writing and a separate grammar curriculum. That's not how I choose to do it.

• Like 1

They have very generous samples in their website, including schedules.  If I'm remembering correctly, they have a 3 and 4 day a week option (with the 4th day being largely rhetoric and sharing of work), to cover a lesson a week. 

I found the first two books easy to split into 2 days a week.  The first day we covered the Talk About It and shorter grammar/writing exercises, the second day we did the longer writing project and the Speak It portion.  Those took about 20-30 minutes, working with two kids at once. 

The next couple books I've found require 3-4 days per lesson, depending on the week.  The 4th day is Speak It and any necessary finishing up.

My oldest two kids did start skipping the Speak It, which made it 3 days, as they are both very involved in theatre.  But I have my middle two kids do that section to help with enunciation, breath control, and all that other public speaking goodness.

We only ever do 2 books a year.  We spend the extra weeks polishing our favorite writing projects from the program, and doing other "fun" side writing.

Edited by Coco_Clark
  • Like 1