Menu

How do you get your DH to get rid of...

Ema

Dh's problem.  Upstairs we have a master bedroom suite and it's his.  I have a master downstairs and it's mine.  I rarely go up there and don't give a rat's patoot about what it looks like, how cluttered it is or whatever.  He brings his dirty clothes down to the laundry room and I put them back in a basket on the stairs for him to carry up.  I can not, should not and will not be responsible for a grown man's mess.

• Like 1

My dh is the opposite...  He's not sentimental about anything and prefers to throw everything out.  (I'm the one who's sentimental about some stuff. 🙂  )

I will say that when you move, that's the time he'll probably decide to throw out stuff.  He'll realize that what he thought was important isn't even worth packing.

Another thought is that if you each assign yourself a certain closet or space or even a large plastic container to store things that you want to keep but don't really use, then he can pick and choose what he wants to store in there.  If he has more stuff than the space can hold, maybe he'll get rid of stuff?

14 hours ago, Amy in NH said:

There are a lot of posts here, and I really haven't read any of them, so forgive me if this has already been suggested...

Load them into a desktop or laptop that you can use as a music server, hooked up to the stereo or a nice bluetooth speaker, make a backup copy of them all on an external hard drive, then sell them to Newbury Comics.  Or just buy a Spotify Premium account and sell them.  Either way you'll still have access to all that music without it taking up space.

This is the perfect solution!  We just brought several containers of old slides from when we lived abroad early in our marriage (yes, we lived during the slide days!!) to a digital transfer place.  They took 5 boxes of slides and turned them into a tiny flash drive.

3 minutes ago, J-rap said:

My dh is the opposite...  He's not sentimental about anything and prefers to throw everything out.  (I'm the one who's sentimental about some stuff. 🙂  )

I will say that when you move, that's the time he'll probably decide to throw out stuff.  He'll realize that what he thought was important isn't even worth packing.

Another thought is that if you each assign yourself a certain closet or space or even a large plastic container to store things that you want to keep but don't really use, then he can pick and choose what he wants to store in there.  If he has more stuff than the space can hold, maybe he'll get rid of stuff?

Oh don't bet on that.  LOL, we have a few mystery boxes that have moved with us more than once.  :-)

Just now, marbel said:

Oh don't bet on that.  LOL, we have a few mystery boxes that have moved with us more than once.  🙂

Oh my goodness, that reminds me that when I was a college student and moved across the country with my parents, I packed up three giant boxes of things important to me, but immediately left for college before I had a chance to unpack them.  Over thirty years later, those unopened boxes still sit at my parents' house...

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Amy in NH said:

Load them into a desktop or laptop that you can use as a music server, hooked up to the stereo or a nice bluetooth speaker, make a backup copy of them all on an external hard drive, then sell them to Newbury Comics.  Or just buy a Spotify Premium account and sell them.  Either way you'll still have access to all that music without it taking up space.

I think it is more of an emotional thing as opposed to a wanting to listen to music thing. 

16 minutes ago, Seasider too said:

My dh loves that I have moved stuff quickly by selling online now and then. He always gets inspired to find things to list, and says hey, would you put this on Craigslist for me?

But the prices he wants to ask!!! I finally told him he had to post his own stuff because I don’t have time for a lengthy bartering process or items that have to be babysat because they don’t sell. So my mantra is, if I post it, I get to price it! 

Absolutely! Because he’s not online, I get to be the go-between. Screen shot offer, wait for DH to respond, etc (because these things only happen when he’s at work). And DH vacillates between wanting to sell total junk and wanting to sell good stuff for absolutely nothing. I do well by pricing the good stuff at double his suggested price.