Menu

I'm feeling better (i.e., health). Want to guess why?

Pegasus

I've been feeling pretty crummy the last several months with serious health issues as well as side effects to medications.  The last 3 days, however, I've felt better than I have in months.  I'm trying to pinpoint why and the only things that I can think of that have been different in these few days are:

1. Started taking a whey protein powder supplement. I eat plenty of protein but one of my conditions causes low protein in the body/blood.

2. Started taking a nightly walk.  This is just around the block and with a 15-year old dog so hardly cardio.

3. Stopped drinking any soft drinks. I had backslid into an almost daily diet soft drink over the last year.

Possibly none of these are the reason, of course, and the timing is just coincidence.  I am toying with the idea of "testing" each one but feel so good, I don't want to risk feeling worse.

What's your best guess?

• Like 1

That's my guess, too.  Ds stopped drinking sodas and he has felt a ton better in the past month.  The rest of us drink rarely but he's an adult and wasn't going to listen to us. LOL  He figured it out when he was trying to clear up acne.
The lack of soda helped him increase his exercise, which means fresh air.  Both have helped him feel better. 
OTOH, I've upped my daily exercise and just that alone, plus being mindful of water, has put more spring in my step.  My house is cleaner and I feel more energetic.

6 hours ago, Pegasus said:

1. Started taking a whey protein powder supplement. I eat plenty of protein but one of my conditions causes low protein in the body/blood.

2. Started taking a nightly walk.  This is just around the block and with a 15-year old dog so hardly cardio.

3. Stopped drinking any soft drinks. I had backslid into an almost daily diet soft drink over the last year.

Well definitely 2 and 3 would do it for me. For #1, can you talk with a nutritionist and find out how many grams of protein you need for your condition and then count to see? 

10 minutes ago, nevergiveup said:

My guess is #4--you are tired of feeling crummy and are trying different things.  Sometimes just getting out of the old pattern helps one feel better--all three are good on their own, but maybe just shaking things up is what is helping.

I agree. Feeling that you're being proactive about anything is a mental boost, and that usually translates to a physical boost.

Also--and I guess it depends on what health issues you're dealing with, but--three days for me wouldn't be anywhere near enough time to assume it was something I was doing. I'm very skeptical that most changes (other than increased sleep, perhaps) would trigger improvement that quickly. It could just be sheer coincidence. A waxing/waning thing. But maybe it's because I'm old. Maybe when I was younger things did happen more quickly and I've forgotten. :wink: If I made changes and felt better for three weeks, then I'd start trying to figure out which one(s) were having the impact. And I don't mean to be a downer by posting that! I sure hope the better feeling continues!

Thank you everyone!  I agree that a few days isn't really long enough to make any solid conclusions but the improvement was so sudden and significant that it got me to wondering. I hadn't considered the sleep factor and now that it has been brought up, I realize that I am waking much less frequently through the night. That has GOT to help.

I'll update if I learn anything!

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Pegasus said:

I hadn't considered the sleep factor and now that it has been brought up, I realize that I am waking much less frequently through the night. That has GOT to help.

Oh definitely!! I don't feel optimal if I'm woken at all. Do you take magnesium? Is it possible that something you've added has some vitamin D? Does warm milk have tryptophan? Does that whey provide tryptophan? Trytophan converts to 5HTP which converts to serotonin and melatonin, which would improve your mood and sleep.

Adding: Googlefu is saying your whey might be high in tryptophan. I don't know if that much whey is healthy, but you could google other tryptophan sources like turkey... 

Edited by PeterPan

Who knows, maybe all.  I believe in the threshold effect, which means that one thing on its own might not cause a significant problem, but compound that with several other things and you suddenly have a problem.  Sometimes just whittling away at the little things can make a big difference in the whole picture.  

My first instinct was to suggest 2 and 3, but depending on your age, number 1 might play into it as well.  I'm in my 50's and find that extra protein helps me feel a lot better.

On 5/28/2019 at 6:48 AM, Pegasus said:

I've been feeling pretty crummy the last several months with serious health issues as well as side effects to medications.  The last 3 days, however, I've felt better than I have in months.  I'm trying to pinpoint why and the only things that I can think of that have been different in these few days are:

Possibly none of these are the reason, of course, and the timing is just coincidence.  I am toying with the idea of "testing" each one but feel so good, I don't want to risk feeling worse.

What's your best guess?

The walk.  It makes a serious difference to me to breathe fresh air and choose to do something just for myself.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bethben said:

#3.  Diet soda is horrible for you.  The artificial sugars can cause all sorts of issues with your health.  Most people I know feel tons better when they give up the diet soda.  

I agree with this 100%. My boss (younger than me) drinks diet pepsi all day long and now has rheumatoid arthritis in his 30's and is walking using crutches. His rheumatologist told him that too much artificial sugar (aspartame, sucralose etc) can cause severe health issues in otherwise normal and healthy people. For me, aspartame causes IBS like symptoms and it takes months to resolve. It is best to use regular sugar in moderation or none at all. 

So, I am guessing that #3 is the reason that you are feeling better.