Menu

when you're helping your kid move dorm rooms

katilac

and you find their completely blank academic planner😂

This thing is so pristine we could sell it if it were undated. She doesn't use an electronic calendar either, I don't know how she does it. She knocked it out of the park freshman year, so it's a little hard to lecture. I have no idea where she got the non-planning gene, though! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Oh well, I just kept it all in my head at that age and stage of life too.  I never used a planner or calendar and never wrote down anything but notes during lectures and just tried to keep a folder of syllabuses to refer to later.   I occasionally used very short term to do lists during busy weeks on scratch paper.   Can't argue with success!

I think it was way easier when I wasn't trying to remember things for 4 people because now I live by my google calendar and notifications.  LOL.  

• Like 1

My dd1 is the opposite - at this point, I think she collects planners and calendars and online app reminders! 😄

Re: the cleaning supplies - my friend had that happen when she went to help her son move out. The entire box was still taped shut and shoved in a corner in the back of his closet. When she pulled it out and opened it, he looked at it with googly eyes and sputtered that he'd never SEEN that box before! lol She is still traumatized! 🤣

• Like 1

On 5/29/2019 at 12:08 AM, easypeasy said:

My dd1 is the opposite - at this point, I think she collects planners and calendars and online app reminders! 😄

That's how my other dd is, it's one of the reasons this was so amusing to me, lol. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, katilac said:

That's how my other dd is, it's one of the reasons this was so amusing to me, lol. 

LOL! 

I wish they helped her more than they do! Poor kid STILL forgets when things are due on a regular basis and is left scrambling. It’s just not her skill set. 😁

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

My son didn't use his academic planner either, so I'm seizing it for next year with DD.  However, I also found 2 red solo cups filled with folded 3x5 cards in them.  The cards were dated and contained assignments with checked boxes beside them, so he's using some sort of system.  It's driving me batty.

Edited by Heathermomster
  • Like 1

Well, you could have found something a lot worse!

I never used an academic planner, and I'm sure at least two of my children didn't.  That's kind of a modern-day thing, isn't it?  I probably scratched lists here and there though, and maybe that's what your dd did too.

I was surprised when my father told me the other day that now that he's 90, his memory must be slipping because he has to make lists to remember things like doctor's appointments, etc.    I thought, really??  I've been making unofficial lists for years!!  I'd never remember everything otherwise.

9 hours ago, Heathermomster said:

My son didn't use his academic planner either, so I'm seizing it for next year with DD.  However, I also found 2 red solo cups filled with folded 3x5 cards in them.  The cards were dated and contained assignments with checked boxes beside them, so he's using some sort of system.  It's driving me batty.

The Solo System. He should trademark that. 

8 hours ago, J-rap said:

Well, you could have found something a lot worse!

I did find a comically large variety of condoms, which was extra funny because she doesn't even like boys. She said different groups are just forever handing out condoms in their goodie bags, lol. 

Not that finding condoms is on my 'a lot worse' list anyway, it was just amusing. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Once I dropped first ds off I never wanted to go in his room again.  It was a tiny room and I just had the impression, fair or unfair, that it was going to be a mess. We visited a few times and we would meet him outside. When he came home after freshman year I waited in the car while he and a friend loaded up. He really is a minimalist and it took maybe two trips so he didn’t need my help. That was the only time he came home. He’s moved himself from place to place since then. I have no specific reason or concern about what I might find I just had some gut feeling I’d just rather not and remember the room set up and clean like it was when I left. Lol. 

• Like 1