Menu

Air Force Academy Question (and/or font question)

moonflower

We make name tags.  I've had a few customers over the years ask me if I can make name tags for their kid who is entering the AFA.  The requirements as they quote them to be are that the text is total 1.5" wide and 1" high.  The text they need printed is several letters and numbers - completely made up example: ABCDE1234.

I have always had trouble and never completely succeeded in finding a font that is narrow enough to print 9 characters only 1.5" wide while being 1" tall. If you look at it in the standard forum font, t's about 4x as wide as tall, maybe 5x.  We're looking for 1.5x as wide as tall.

Does anyone know A. a font that works or B. is that really the requirement?  Or are they misunderstanding it somehow?

I found the information in the academy appointee packet:

"Please mark all under clothing on the tag or the rear of the 
waistband with your 9-digit alphanumeric student ID (found on your application portal). The laundry marking should be 
approximately one inch high and one and one half inches wide"

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.usafa.edu/app/uploads/2023_Appointee_Booklet.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwiQsprgi7riAhVBF6wKHTE_D8wQFjAWegQIARAB&usg=AOvVaw1mHUEV8Dq8Fr1E0ycAA8l3

p.13

It's approximate, I do not think the font needs to be 1 inch high. I'd make those the approximate dimensions of the tag with a shorter font.

Edited by maize
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

Maybe, but labels look so much nicer, and obviously everyone should be buying their labels from Moonflower!  🙂

Totally agree that those who want super sharp looking labels on their undies should get them from Moonflower!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Catwoman said:

Maybe, but labels look so much nicer, and obviously everyone should be buying their labels from Moonflower!  🙂

Right?!? When I think of success-on-Etsy stories, I always think of Moonflower. It's not an easy to thing to build a profitable business there, but she did it! 👏🏼

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, MercyA said:

Right?!? When I think of success-on-Etsy stories, I always think of Moonflower. It's not an easy to thing to build a profitable business there, but she did it! 👏🏼

That is nice, Mercy 🙂  I think we were mostly lucky, though - DH has the executive function to run a business and I had the inspiration and interest to start this one, and I found Etsy at the perfect time, when it was on its way up. (which, btw, it still is).

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, moonflower said:

That is nice, Mercy 🙂  I think we were mostly lucky, though - DH has the executive function to run a business and I had the inspiration and interest to start this one, and I found Etsy at the perfect time, when it was on its way up. (which, btw, it still is).

You have worked too hard to credit luck for your success! You came up with a great business idea and you created a quality product, and that’s creativity and intelligence, not luck. And you are obviously a seller that people know they can count on to be honest and reputable, which is hard to maintain year after year, no matter what else may be going on in your life. 

So stop being so modest!!! You deserve all of your success! 😃

• Like 2