Menu

Need help deciding about a text, take two

I have three stats books and only room for one on the shelf (this is an exaggeration; there is no room at all, but).  Which would you keep (and why, if you don’t mind)? I am looking for the best introductory text of the three. I have checked the amazon reviews and still am unable to decide.

The Practice of Statistics, 4th Ed., by Starnes Yates Moore

Elementary Statistics, 12th Ed., by Mario F Triola

Statistics: The Exploration and Analysis of Data, 3rd Ed., by Jay Devore & Roxy Peck

Thanks so much — LL

The first two is quite easy to find on Half Price Bookstores. The 5th edition of the Starnes, Yates and Moore is on internet archive and is a commonly used AP Statistics text. The Triola text is a common community college text. 

I won’t keep any because I don’t have the space, some books are now on the living room floor and I have no room for more bookshelves. Who are you keeping for? For your kids or for yourself?

Thank you both for your thoughts. This would be for my high schooler, in a year or two, perhaps.  They were all from a free bin at a used book store, and all in good condition, so I do want to keep one. The reviews are not really helpful because so many are just about the condition of the book, how fast it was received, or about a kindle edition, and other, real reviews are mixed. I am hoping someone actually has a preferred text for intro statistics.  If there is another, much better than these, I will keep looking.

The Triola has the most recent copyright, but I know that sometimes older math texts have better instruction or problem sets. 

25 minutes ago, LLucy said:

This would be for my high schooler, in a year or two, perhaps. .

I’ll keep both the Yates and Triola. The Yates because it teach to the test (AP statistics) and Triola in case your child prefer to take statistics at community college instead of the AP exam.

The 4th edition Yates isn’t that old as the latest is the 5th edition. My kids used that textbook for their AP Statistics summer course and a kind boarder loaned me her copies as I could not find affordable used copies in time for class. It is boring but get the job done. I have the Triola book (not sure which edition) as backup and my kids didn’t use it. 

If you really have space for only one, ask your child to pick. Then sell the other two books to a used bookstore.