Menu

Accredited middle school online programs

I need an accredited program for 8th grade science, history and language arts for the fall.  I would prefer something that uses real books not all online.  He wants to use the credits to transfer back to public school the following year so it’s imporant it’s accredited.  

So so far I have heard of 

Calvert

Bridgeway

Laurel Springs (seems expensive)

k12 (would rather not be online this much)

• 2 weeks later...

The Well Trained Mind Academy seems one good choice, though I believe that instructor quality may be quite variable so it is nice to ask around on the forums (we've only taken one WTM class, study skills last summer, and it was quite lackluster & apparently the instructor often seemed distracted and was slow to respond; others have had great experiences).   

I really like CLRC though I can't find a claim that they are accredited.  CLRC is  very humanities-oriented but does have exactly one year of science and it looks good: Astronomy in the Fall, Meteorology in the Spring. 

• Like 1

Keystone is another and Florida Virtual. If I had to go online accredited, I'd do Calvert or Oak Meadow. But check and be sure you actually need something accredited. There is no such thing as a middle school credit. That's just not a thing that exists. If your student is going to be homeschooled for 8th grade and then begin a public high school, then all the students will be starting anew with no credits. You really don't need to think about it. The only thing you might want is something accredited for math, since courses like algebra I and geometry are given credit when taken in middle school or foreign language since some states allow credit for foreign language taken in middle school. But even for that, be sure you actually need it. Some states do those things by exam or will take your not accredited credit or placement if you show them work samples and a syllabus.

• Like 1