Menu

cle reading vs mosdos

mom2jnhl

Trying to decide between cle reading and mosdos for my 5th grader. I like that cle is open and go and we can do a few novel studies between light units, but I'm worried about the stories being dry and kind of cheesy. Mosdos looks good but it's a bigger book so not much time for adding in anything else. I've just been through years of teaching two dyslexic children so having a kid reading on grade level and not needing to do phongrams year after year is new...I feel at a loss on how to help her move forward.  She did 3 years of all about reading because that's what I had, but I realized last year she was beyond that and I just gave her a stack of good books to read and we'd talk about them. This year I really want to get into setting, plot, figurative language...

Aside from the Anabaptist history lessons, my DD has greatly enjoyed the CLE stories (even many of the Anabaptist ones). She doesn't think most of the them are dry at all. She likes reading about children her age in real-life adventure-type situations, which is what most of the stories are about. She likes the nonfiction articles too because she says she always learns something new and interesting...something she's never read about before. The stories are typically fairly short, which is nice. The lessons can take a while to get through, especially if you have a spacey or reluctant-writer type. DD has dyslexia. She finds some of CLE's short answer questions challenging, although I think they're pretty tame. She usually doesn't write answers with enough detail or thought. Most of the rest, she breezes through. We will probably divert from CLE Reading this year because I want to find some novel studies that focus on critical thinking, which is where her deficit lies. We've used CLE Reading 4 (or maybe it was 3), 5 and 6.

I'm actually looking at Mosdos for 7th grade right now, which is what I came to forums to look up. I'm with you, it looks like more than I want to do at this point. I want something that takes less time and is more focused, I think.

PS - My DD's absolutely favorite CLE lessons are the poetry ones, which usually are the day before a quiz/test. I need to find a resource that will fill that void this year as well.

Edited by pitterpatter

We've used both Mosdos and CLE. I really like CLE for 5th-8th because there are only 5 light units per year. Then I add novels in between.

CLE covers things so well, with built in review. Mosdos covers things well, also, but requires a little more effort with regard to planning. 

I think CLE is more open and go, but there is much more variety with Mosdos.  CLE is also a lot of writing, which is an easy enough fix if you do some or all of the questions together.  The kids found it very boring though and much preferred Mosdos.  We only use the textbook and we read it aloud together and then discuss.  Sometimes I add in a writing assignment from the text.  They are HUGE books though and we have never covered an entire book in a year.  

This is an interesting thread and one that I have thought about over and over again. Do you go with novel studies-something like Progeny or the fabulous Memoria Press guides? Or, do you go with a workbook type thing that is fairly independent such as CLE, or do you go with a "schoolish" resource with a great variety of reading, like Mosdos or even something like BJU which also looks very rich.  I just can't decide! I know that *I* personally appreciate a little variety. So, I would probably like to teach a little bit of each, but that's not financially doable. All of this to say, I'm following.

12 minutes ago, Meadowlark said:

This is an interesting thread and one that I have thought about over and over again. Do you go with novel studies-something like Progeny or the fabulous Memoria Press guides? Or, do you go with a workbook type thing that is fairly independent such as CLE, or do you go with a "schoolish" resource with a great variety of reading, like Mosdos or even something like BJU which also looks very rich.  I just can't decide! I know that *I* personally appreciate a little variety. So, I would probably like to teach a little bit of each, but that's not financially doable. All of this to say, I'm following.

This is exactly how I feel...it’s so hard to choose. 

On 5/25/2019 at 9:32 AM, mom2jnhl said:

Trying to decide between cle reading and mosdos for my 5th grader. I like that cle is open and go and we can do a few novel studies between light units, but I'm worried about the stories being dry and kind of cheesy. Mosdos looks good but it's a bigger book so not much time for adding in anything else. I've just been through years of teaching two dyslexic children so having a kid reading on grade level and not needing to do phonograms year after year is new...I feel at a loss on how to help her move forward.  She did 3 years of all about reading because that's what I had, but I realized last year she was beyond that and I just gave her a stack of good books to read and we'd talk about them. This year I really want to get into setting, plot, figurative language...

Have you read through the teacher edition? I don't know about you, but *I* would not be willing to go through this. And does a 10yo need to know that much about plot, setting, figurative language? And oh my goodness, it's expensive!

If your dd is reading well, there's not a thing wrong with letting her read on her own, as much as she wants, whatever she wants. If you must have something, what about a few Progeny Press study guides?

We've done Mosdos and never used the Teacher's guide.   One year we did use the workbooks along with the text, the last year or two we only used the Student Text.  There is more than enough in just the student text, it's just more work for the parent.    

We did add some novel studies here and there throughout the year.   Last year I was hoping to do more novel studies since the kids are older, but didn't get as much done as I wanted.  I'm considering going back to Mosdos at least for my 7th grader.

• Like 2