Menu

What's with the ads?

PeterPan

Another car question: MoonRoof, love it or leave it?

https://www.buick.com/crossovers/regal-tourx-luxury-wagon/interior-features I think this Buick TourX is what we may go for. It's the closest thing I can get to the Subaru Outback while staying GM, sigh. And it has a really nice ride, usb ports for ds, and basically just looks like it would work. I can get easily (within an hour drive in some direction) this vehicle tripped out with the new safety features in one of the two colors we'll probably go with (white frost or rioja red with the shale interior). So it would basically look like this picture I've linked. Thing is, we have to go to more effort (like presumably having them bring in?) the versions of each with the moon roofs. I've found them, and you can see by the pic it's a really crazy stunning thing. 

Do you LIKE your moon roof?

Is a moon roof hot?

If we go to the effort, delay, pain in the butt to dealer (which means they're less inclined to drop the price), etc., will the moon roof be WORTH it?

If I had it on the car locally with all the other things (those 2 safety packages), it wouldn't be a question. To get the frost white with the moon roof (and all those non-negotiable safety features) would be 2 hours each way. To get the gorgeous rioja red (which actually I don't know if it's gorgeous, but let's assume) with the moon roof and those non-negotiable safety features is almost 3 hours each way. And I *think* the car dealership would probably have it driven here and make it happen. But is it WORTH that? Will I be like wow, I'm so glad we waited, belabored, and got that panoramic, crazy long moon roof? Or will it be hot and something I don't even care about?

Fwiw the dealer with the rioja red moonroof is not listing good prices. I don't know that they'll be inclined to honor the local dealer's great prices, and we're talking $9k different if they don't. Surely the local guy would get the price down? On the white, because both dealers are listing good prices, the difference is only about $1,100, which is the normal cost of the moon roof. Surely the far away red dealer would come down to a sane price?  Ooo, I just realized because the one dealer with the red (no moonroof) is 1 hour from us, they're less than 2 hours from the red WITH moonroof place, hmm. So they would probably go get that, no questions asked boom. So then it's literally just whether we want to push for that or not, and I don't have an experience to know. 

So what does the hive say. Panoramic moon roof or skip? Hot/horrible or hip/happy?

Edited by PeterPan

I think it would depend on where you live.  I live in the high desert of New Mexico.  The sun is brutal.  There is no way in a million I would have a car that was all glass on top.  I have a small sun roof on my van that has a solid cover to close it off.  I keep it closed most of the time because the sun on my head is so hot.  I like that I can open it to air out the van when it's super hot inside the car (from sitting parked in the sun), or if there's a bad smell in there.  I never open it otherwise.  If you live in a place with less intense sunlight, you might have a better experience.

It is stunning to have such a panoramic view of the sky, but I think the novelty would wear off in a short time, and you'd just be left with hot, dirty windows on the roof of the car.  That's just my opinion, though.  Have you seen/driven one in person with the moon roof?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Suzanne in ABQ said:

Have you seen/driven one in person with the moon roof?

Well we have a tiny moonroof on our newer-ish vehicle (10 years old) as it just came that way. And you're right, I never open it for light let alone air. Now my dh does a LOT and really likes it, lol. We have 6 months of full winter here, 3 months of drab basically winter, and 3 months of spring/summer. So I don't know what it would be like. I want to ask my ds to see if he has a take. I think there's something to how it will feel. Like it might make it feel great or it might be better to have it be cave-like, I don't know.

21 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

Well we have a tiny moonroof on our newer-ish vehicle (10 years old) as it just came that way. And you're right, I never open it for light let alone air. Now my dh does a LOT and really likes it, lol. We have 6 months of full winter here, 3 months of drab basically winter, and 3 months of spring/summer. So I don't know what it would be like. I want to ask my ds to see if he has a take. I think there's something to how it will feel. Like it might make it feel great or it might be better to have it be cave-like, I don't know.

The car does seem to have a low ceiling, so it might feel claustrophobic when it's all dark.  You definitely don't have the sun I'm used to (we have 350 sunny days a year), so you'll only have to deal with the heat when its sunny for those three months.  You could get that peel away film and apply that for those hot months.

• Like 1

This is a little more insidious. It's a NYTimes article suggesting there are no safety standards for them and that they increase the risk of ejection during rollovers. Oh my.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/22/business/car-sunroof-safety.html

And then an article on exploding/shattering glass. https://www.chicagotribune.com/autos/sc-auto-cover-0222-exploding-sunroofs-20180220-story.html

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-safety/laminated-glass-reduce-risk-exploding-sunroofs/  This article says GM is using tempered glass, so I guess it's a definite no.

Well that takes care of that. Foo, it seemed like a lovely idea. But it might explain why I literally couldn't find the tripped out version with the moonroof. It was just really conspicuous, because I found so many models around our state with these features but none of them had the moonroofs. 

Edited by PeterPan

My dh loves his moon roof and usually has the inside cover pulled back to see the sky.  I'm not sure how much he actually pops it open.

FWIW, I hate it.  I find it distracting to see anything above me, and I don't like the extra road noise when it's popped open.  

• Thanks 1

I liked my roof that was a sunroof or popped up a bit at the back to allow ventilation. This is what I had on the last two cars.  

I don't care for the moonroof on my current car and hardly ever use the sunroof.  And it doesn't have the back tip-up for ventilation so I'm in the not-worth-extra-money camp.  

• Thanks 1

I have a sunroof on my Subaru as that was what it came with, used. I do pop it so the car doesn't heat up as much, but it is never open when I drive--reduced fuel efficiency, plus the noise. It's a small thing, not the big pano thing on your link. I would never want the great big thing--you'd scratch it all up putting a kayak or skis on top. Our sun is intense--the inside of the car would be SO hot! 2015-Subaru-Forester-Spy-Shots.jpg

• Thanks 1

Is that the same as a sunroof or different?  We almost always get cars with sunroofs, we love them.

However, the Prius didn't have one and we were ok buying it.  I miss it when I drive that car.

Then I bought a Mini Cooper convertible.  I can pull the roof back to only sunroof size, but of course, it is still open to the elements and not a sunroof enclosed.

So we now have 2 cars with sunroofs, one without anything, and a convertible.  

We prefer sunroofs.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, DawnM said:

Is that the same as a sunroof or different?  We almost always get cars with sunroofs, we love them.

However, the Prius didn't have one and we were ok buying it.  I miss it when I drive that car.

Then I bought a Mini Cooper convertible.  I can pull the roof back to only sunroof size, but of course, it is still open to the elements and not a sunroof enclosed.

So we now have 2 cars with sunroofs, one without anything, and a convertible.  

We prefer sunroofs.

Yes, I think the panoramic moonroof is the same as a sunroom. I think the front part above the driver is probably functional and then the back part over the 2nd row is fixed.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

Yes, I think the panoramic moonroof is the same as a sunroom. I think the front part above the driver is probably functional and then the back part over the 2nd row is fixed.

It is cool.  The only question I have, can you cover it?  On our sunroofs, there is another panel you can pull if the sun is in your eyes to shield the sun.  I like that for those occasions when it is just too bright.

• Like 1

I loved the moonroof on our Ford contour, but it was small. I don't think I'd like the big one you posted. We've never had another vehicle with a sun or moon roof & don't miss what most of us have never had. (I miss that car. Sniff. Sniff.)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, PeterPan said:

That's the same as our climate and I love my sun/moon roof on my Subaru. I keep the shade open year round--seriously, I never ever have it closed--and open the glass most of the summer. Big puffy love the extra light, and getting fresh air without making my hair blow around like with open windows.

• Like 2

I miss my sunroof on my mini van.  My last Honda had it.  This one does not.  I miss it.
That said, I don't think I would go for that huge panoramic view one you showed.  Too much glass.  Too much chance of stone chip (terrible issue here in Michigan).  Possibly less protection in a roll over crash.

• Like 1

Love it and it would me hard for me not have one.  I use it all year long, even in the winter just to air out a stuffy car.

However, the aerodynamics of some cars make the noise unbearable to actually use it.  My dh has one on his Equinox and the noise was so awful it was unuseable.

• Like 1

don't do red.  it's amazing how many more accidents there are.  people just don't "see" it, it's like the brain just doesn't register its there.  dh had a red car - he also had the exact same car in white.

• Like 2

I would not seek out a moonroof specially. I also would not specially seek to avoid one .  

I tend to use sunroof for ventilation more than moonroof for upward view, but then, I’m driving so not likely to be looking upward unless I stop somewhere with an interesting overhead view

Ive had them because they came with other trimline features I was seeking out. 

Biggest use has been while parked waiting for Ds at an activity since it gives good light.

Edited by Pen
  • Like 1

Another thought--will you camp in this car? Think about that much sunlight coming in when you're not quite ready to get up. 

• Like 1

This is probably not an issue, since you said your DH loves the moon roof on a current vehicle. But I'll toss it in anyway.

If someone in the family is tall, the moon roof can really make a difference with head clearance. DH is 6'5". When he sits in the same model of car with a moon/sun roof and without, his head will sometimes touch the ceiling (or come close) in the moon roof version, but he will have a couple of extra inches of headroom when there is not a moon roof.  So we always do without, and it's actually a feature we have to avoid.

• Like 1

My 2002 Honda Accord had a moon roof. I used it on occasion driving around town and never opened it on the highway. DH’s RAV4 has a moon roof and he doesn’t even know how to open it😳 If the vehicle has everything I want and includes a moon roof, I d it but won’t pay extra to have one.

• Like 2

We get over a hundred days a year with rain and about another hundred when the sun is definitely too hot to drive a greenhouse. We've never had a sunroof, moonroof or convertible.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have a moon roof on my 98 Camry and on my 2001 Mercedes Coupe, and I love them.

They were not priorities of mine to say the least.  The only reason I have them is that they were on the used cars I bought.  I hate the sun beating down on my head.  But, I do have a ceiling cover for each one.  And I don't believe that they have contributed to the car heating up.

What I like about them is:

1.  At night when I'm driving in the country/woods/forest, which I do quite often, I love pulling back the ceiling cover so that the moon can shine in.  If gives me a feeling like I'm in a bubble of forest, it's so beautiful.  But I don't open the moonroof itself.

2.  They help me find my car!  There are so many old Camrys around, and this helps to distinguish mine from the rest in big parking lots.

3.  I can put my keys on them without worrying about damaging the paint.

So, these are unconventional reasons to want one, but I'm really enjoying mine.

Edited by Carol in Cal.
  • Like 1

I don't like it as a driver. I don't like light coming from behind me, especially above and behind when I'm driving. It drives me bonkers. 

As someone with seasonal allergies, it's just another way for other people to get pollen all over my car.

With lots of people in the family with ADHD, it's another way to get the car all wet if someone forgets it's open.

• Like 1

My husband had one on his last car.  We loved it.  It was factory installed vs. aftermarket.  We didn't choose the option again because we had to go bargain, but it is probably one of our most missed items.

Pros:

It had the window but also an inside roof cover to block light if desired.

It had multiple open options.  Tilt open, half open, and full open.  When opening the roof cover would recede with the opening of the window.

In the heat of summer, my DH get in the car and open the moon all the way.Itt would release so much of the heat upon opening.

Never had any leaks.

Cons: 

The back seat could get to much wind.  Although it was less than when opening the regular windows.

Affects gas mileage in the negative.  For us it wasn't significant enough to make a a difference.

• Like 1

I insist on one but it's because my dog often comes with me in the car (except on hot days). Even on pleasantly warm days, the sun on an enclosed car quickly becomes dangerous. But I fully open my moonroof anytime the temp is >50 and then I crack all windows and that creates the world's greatest draft. The hot air goes up & out, airflow is pulled through the windows, and it stays very pleasant.  I still don't risk it on hot days, but anything below 80-85 (depending on cloud cover, humidity, etc) and the furbutt is riding shotgun with me.  

Just to point out that there are practical applications as well.  

• Like 1

If it was something I couldn't close/cover - no way. TOOO hot here for that.

Edited by StaceyinLA