Menu

chromebook or laptop for college

My daughter is not able to use her Chromebook with the lock-down browser that is required for on-line testing at her college. She has to use the college testing center (which has atrocious hours). It also doesn't work with her drawing tablet. Those are the only issues that she's had. 

• Like 1

If you can afford a laptop, fine.  When my dd entered college, she/we chose a chromebook.  It was perfect for her.  She had it all four years of college.  It might not work so well depending on your degree and if a particular software is required.  For my dd, she could do everything she needed to do and felt good about saving money.

For browsing the internet, writing papers, things like that, it worked seamlessly.

I don't know if colleges have certain academic sites that require other types of computers though.

• Like 1

I believe that will (frequently) depend upon the requirements of the school.  In the case of my DD, she will be going to UNC and they have specific requirements for the Hardware and Software that are on a Windows Laptop or an Apple Laptop.    

If a student doesn't get a Laptop from them, they need to have what the school needs, with regard to WORD or OFFICE or whatever. The risk to that, IMO, would be if there is an issue with the Hardware and it is not a machine that the school will support and the student may be without their Laptop much longer, trying to get it fixed if they cannot do that themselves.  .  .  

Laptop. As someone stated above at my son's school you can't access the lock-down browser for testing, nor can you print remotely to the library or computer lab printers -- again, the software is not supported. Also Chromebooks typically have limited capacity so you might not be able to download a large program.

Your school should have a website dedicated to computing needs that gives minimum specs.

• Like 1