Menu

2019-2020 Teacher Training and Education Plans

We make annual plans for the kiddos, but how about for us? What do you hope to accomplish on your summer break or over the course of the next year to further your teacher training and education? Books you'd like to read? Podcasts to which you'd like to listen? Conferences you're planning to attend? The unseasonably cold and rainy May Gray weather here in So Cal has me in a funk, so I'd love to see what others are planning. Let's share ideas and inspiration!

Some books I would like to read:

The Brave Learner: Finding Everyday Magic in Homeschool, Learning, and Life 

Unschooled: Raising Curious, Well-Educated Children Outside the Conventional Classroom 

How to Read a Book: The Classic Guide to Intelligent Reading 

Smart but Scattered: The Revolutionary "Executive Skills" Approach to Helping Kids Reach Their Potential 

Reaching Boys, Teaching Boys: Strategies that Work -- and Why

Building Resilience in Children and Teens: Giving Kids Roots and Wings

Tweens, Tough Times, and Triumphs: Homeschooling the Middle Grades 

I am also trying to arrange my podcasts.

What are your ideas?

• Like 1

I am planning to reread/skim through several books: 

• Knowing and Teaching Elementary Mathematics (Ma)
  • Teaching from Rest (Mackenzie)
  • Mere Motherhood & A Handbook to Morning Time (Rollins)
  • TWTM 4th Ed (the sections for K, 2nd, and 5th specifically)

I am planning to read for the first time:

• differently wired: raising an exceptional child in a conventional world (Reber)
  • Rethinking School (SWB)
  • Teaching  Students to Read Nonfiction (Boynton & Blevins)
  • Tweens, Tough Times, & Triumphs: Homeschooling in the Middle Grades (Farrar!)

I will probably listen to all of the SWB audio lectures that I have. I don't usually listen to podcasts but I might poke around a few that I know of to see if any titles catch my interest.

That's it for homeschool stuff. I also would like to renew my teaching license this fall, so I am going to study for the Sheltered English Immersion (SEI) MTEL exam and look into what else I need to do to renew.

Edited by Noreen Claire
Added book
  • Like 2

I usually spend my summer lesson planning, but I'm actually almost done with that this year. 🙂 I ordered The Brave Learner for a beach read, I have Gattegno's Now Johnny Can Do Arithmetic to finish (I like to take each chapter a bite at a time and digest it as I read ahead in the math books), and I thought about doing a class through Classical U while my youngest is at camp and dh is on mid shift.

• Like 1

My Summer Reading List is a bit out of control:

Homeschool Bravely

Beyond Behaviors: Using Brain Science and Compassion to Understand and Solve Children's Behavioral Challenges

Captivology: The Science of Capturing People's Attention

The Body Keeps the Score: Brain, Mind, and Body in the Healing of Trauma

Tweens, Teens, & Triumphs by our very own Farrar!!!

Sacred Mundane

The Self-Driven Child

• Like 1

I'm not really on this board anymore since I'm no longer homeschooling, but I want to let you know of Fairydust Teaching online training. They are Reggio Emilia based and offer some really cool video training conferences and also just great ideas. Very nature-based, loose parts, play-based, esp for youngers (2-6yo). Very inspiring. 

• Like 1

I'm taking a Coursera trigonometry course as my oldest will be taking it in dual enrollment this next semester. She tried it this past semester and ended up dropping it. I haven't done trig for 25+ years, so I'm refreshing my understanding to be able to help her. 

I'm re-reading The Well Trained mind with a look at high school, as my middle will be either 8th or 9th grade this coming year (we'll decide which it was as we come to the end of the year). I'd like to do the Great Courses- Teaching the Classics over the summer; I don't know if I'll get to it. 

• Like 3

I’m planning to read Rethinking School. Amazon claims I’ll have it tomorrow. 😊I’m also looking into which comprehension book I’d like to purchase and read. I’m thinking 7 Keys to Comprehension (by Zimmermann). If anyone has a rec for this type of book, please let me know! This is for my 10 yo DS who still struggles with comprehension. 

I will also be looking at/studying/refreshing my old brain with my oldest’s upcoming Algebra text. I will most likely outsource the teaching but I’d like to be ready to help and answer questions, plus I like algebra. 

I also need to educate myself on teaching high school. 😳I’ve been reading the forum of course, but I’ll check out some other resources as well. 

• Like 1