Menu

WWE4 or something else?

My DS hates WWE. He finds it way too repetitive with the format being so constant. He’s really starting to come along way in his abilities though. Just in the last month or so he has been doing the dictation so much quicker. He’s a great reader and loves reading books on his own but gets annoyed with the WWE passages if they don’t interest him. He’s also not a big detail reader which I get because I’m the same way. He hated the questions that asked for specific details and not just the point of the story of the summary. We got behind in in WWE3 since he hates it and just got to about the halfway mark where it looks like it’s asking for a summary and not asking the specific questions so he’s enjoying that more. I feel like I’m finally seeing some point to the progression here so I’m nervous about dropping it. How similar is WWE4? Would you stick with it or do something else? 

WWE4 is the same thing but a big step up in length of dictation. In our house we do WWE4 at about half pace over 4th and 5th and alternate weeks with Killgallon, Shakespeare, book reports, bits of Bravewriter, etc. We do this because none of my sweet, compliant dc could handle WWE4 every week for a year.

I don't think you should do WWE4, which SWB says is optional. You could do occasional weeks of diy dictation and summary work, and the other weeks do something else that focuses on some aspect of English. I like Killgallon because I feel like I see it correctly encourage more creative sentences, but I wouldn't enjoy doing only that all year either. There're a lot of good writing options for that age that i know nothing about. I would say look around for something that appeals to you, that you can do for the next 3 or 4 years and then you could pick up with WWS again in late middle school and into high school.

• Like 1

I only went through WWE3. We chose to do Treasured Conversations (interspersed through WWE series), Paragraphs by EPS, Kilgallon (interspered through the WWE series), and IEW in the inbetween time before moving on to WWS1 next year.

• Like 1