Menu

Help me spend money on 1st Grade

My kids are in a virtual charter so we can get funds. It’s been great for us but it looks like they are adding a caveat for next year. Previously I could spend the funds anyway I want, like I could use it all towards extracurricular classes if I wanted. Next year we have to sound $500 of each child’s funds on actual educational curriculum. When DS was young and not doing a lot of extracurriculars I spent all the extra funds on kits like art and science stuff. I’m not sure how to spend that much on 1st grade actual curriculum. Next year she’ll pretty much just continue what’s in my signature. I already have AAR2 and a few of the ETC and FSR workbooks. I have FLL1 and I can order WWE1. I have some Kumon money and time books and EM Map books. The only thing expensive I need is MIF1 but even both A and B are about $230 together so I still have a lot to spend. I am having trouble figuring out science for her and to some extent history. DS does them and she listens as much as she’s interested which means a lot of the time she wanders off when I’m reading. She does participate in experiments. She’s definitely not really writing yet beyond ETC so with starting copy work in the fall she definitely won’t be ready to write up anything for science or history. I did just order her the student pages of SOTW so she can start coloring and working on map work. For some reason our ES does not like the activity pages as proof of history so I always have them do BrainPop to tick that box and she’s fine with that for DD’s history too. 

What should I order that is secular and actual curriculum?

I have watched a YouTube thingy from someone called pepper and pine - she buys the most beautiful artwork supplies and science equipment. She does  a Montessori or Steiner or something along those lines.

If I am ever thinking of spending some money I have a look at her YouTube for some ideas

Edited by Melissa in Australia
spelling

I used to be able to use the funds on kits and art supplies but I’m not sure if that’s going to work anymore. It’s a change at the state level so my ES isn’t really sure what it’s going to mean. From the wording it sounds like it may need to be actual curriculum so I’m trying to figure out what to do and plan for the fall. Any other curriculum recommendations?

Thanks for recommending Nancy Larson Syllieann! I’m going to have to look into that. 

Story of the World audio!

RS4K books, very nice for that age.

https://gravitaspublications.com/product/focus-on-student-text/  Student books for a variety of subjects

All books shown for Biology:

https://gravitaspublications.com/product/focus-on-study-bundle/

Her chemistry and physics for that age are especially good, there are other nice choices for the other science subjects for that age but none so cute and scientifically accurate for chemistry and physics.

• Like 1

Maybe RSO with the science kit and Home Studio Art with the art kit. Even if you don't plan to follow it completely you can still use the supplies.

Would things like Famous Figures and historical coloring books be covered? Maybe history pockets? I'd also look at Critical thinking company for the fun puzzle books. Oh, perhaps Thinking Tree journals would be covered.

• Like 2

Critical Thinking Co. for some great puzzle  and logic books

manipulatives  - last year we bought some knights to use as math manipulatives - it tied in with our medieval studies and the twins thought they were way more exciting then wooden blocks 

educational literacy and math games

audio of great classical books

Blue Planet documentaries

nature kits if they will tie into your science - something like fossils, gemstone collection, or human body kits

microscope

year pass to the museum 

whiteboard

Montessori wooden letters

• Like 1

My charter just did the same thing.

Bookshark? Lots of great books there and it counts as core curriculum. For a first grader, I would think there would be plenty of fun kits that would count as science. RSO science is fun. Or I just discovered crafty school crates, and I'm getting the history crates for my 9&6yo.

It wouldn't hurt to point out that you are reusing AAR 2. I discussed this with my ES because I won't be spending that much on my younger kids. Between reusing books from my older kids and finding bookshark sets at our school resource center, I only need a few workbooks. But I am using $500 worth of core curriculum, so she said it's not an issue. The point is they don't want people spending all their money on extracurriculars and not putting much effort into schooling (unfortunately it DOES happen. Tho I'm not sure that it's at an extent that requires these measures) and having those kids test scores drag down the school average.

• Like 1