Menu

paint colors?

gardenmom5

ds is going to do projects this summer - he's all gung ho currently to replace all outlets and switches (the outlets need to be).  and how about paint first..., so need ideas for colors... I have travertine, that must be dealt with.  otherwise, I have hardwood floors.

I found this blog helpful when I was picking colors: The Creativity Exchange

She writes a lot about different colors, giving pictures and specific brands/names/numbers, so it might help you narrow down what appeals to you. I'd always suggest getting samples and trying out the colors in the space first -- lighting can really change the look of a color.

• Like 3

Paint color style currently seems to be things like dark green and gray.

I personally prefer living with warmer or lighter colors of paint or white or off white .   Though as I’m living in PNW that also to me makes lighter and brighter seem more pleasant.  And I have a feeling that the dark green and grays will look dated in not too long.  

Color seems often to look different in rooms than on small samples, so if you can get a big sample or piece of wallboard painted to see something more than a little swatch it could help. 

I don’t know what you mean by your travertine needing to be dealt with.  If I had travertine in pleasant tones I’d probably try to pick up a color from it for wall paint.  

Painting may seem easy but there are techniques and tricks to know and prior education (unless in painting) or age seem to have little to do with success rate 🙂 . I have just been through this process and feel I could have done better with more time and patience AND more tips. Definitely paint a square foot or so in a few different spots of the room to see how the changing light changes the color. Also, choosing higher end brushes and rollers is worth it. Also Frog tape or top of the line painter's tape (no splitting upon removal, wide enough to make sense) is not a luxury but a necessity.

Edited by Liz CA

56 minutes ago, Pen said:

I personally prefer living with warmer or lighter colors of paint or white or off white .   Though as I’m living in PNW that also to me makes lighter and brighter seem more pleasant.  And I have a feeling that the dark green and grays will look dated in not too long.  

Color seems often to look different in rooms than on small samples, so if you can get a big sample or piece of wallboard painted to see something more than a little swatch it could help. 

I don’t know what you mean by your travertine needing to be dealt with.  If I had travertine in pleasant tones I’d probably try to pick up a color from it for wall paint.  

nothing dark.  I'm hesitant about gray. my fireplace hearth and kitchen backsplash are travertine - but I'm tempted to do a very light slate blueish in the kitchen.  I have silver slate floor tile in there...

i'm also in the pnw (but my living/dining windows are almost full west and lack of light isn't a problem... (except in the middle of winter).  ds is also begging we get "real" shades for the windows.   - we're going to talk to a window covering person in dh's business networking group.  

Painting may seem easy but there are techniques and tricks to know and prior education (unless in painting) or age seem to have little to do with success rate

🙂 . I have just been through this process and feel I could have done better with more time and patience AND more tips. Definitely paint a square foot or so in a few different spots of the room to see how the changing light changes the color. Also, choosing higher end brushes and rollers is worth it. Also Frog tape or top of the line painter's tape (no splitting upon removal, wide enough to make sense) is not a luxury but a necessity. 

he does nice work.  (besides -   engineer.)  he's very meticulous.  I'm not concerned about the quality of his work - I've seen what he's done in the past.  I grew up helping my grandfather paint - it's not a concern for me.  

otoh: my mil....  she painted everything. doorknobs, windows were painted closed, outlets, brackets - anything that didn't move faster than she did.... while in her late 80's - she pained my sil's (where she was living at the time) extra patio chairs while she was out of town.  (they were dirty...  so clean them.) at least I can now laugh about her painting my bathroom scale a hideous shade of yellow... poor little bathroom scale. saw __ coming with a paint brush and didn't run fast enough.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Haha 2

I would probably go brighter and more cheerful! Don’t know paint color words, but the color of the clear sky at ~ 11am in early summer, on a day with out any smog, airplane trails, or fog .   By looks of your avatar pic, I think you would look pretty with that as a backdrop color!

I have a colorguild paint color booklet with the sort of color I mean in the 0635 to 0638 range and names indicate water, not sky.  Such as Acapulco, but it’s too dark, “watery sea” and “Aquafir”

3 hours ago, Pen said:

I would probably go brighter and more cheerful! Don’t know paint color words, but the color of the clear sky at ~ 11am in early summer, on a day with out any smog, airplane trails, or fog .   By looks of your avatar pic, I think you would look pretty with that as a backdrop color!

I remember when we didn't have smog here.  I could see the logging roads in the Olympics from my house.   I haven't seen them in years.

that avatar pic was taken at patti's when susan came out.   roflol.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

ds is going to do projects this summer - he's all gung ho currently to replace all outlets and switches (the outlets need to be).  and how about paint first..., so need ideas for colors... I have travertine, that must be dealt with.  otherwise, I have hardwood floors.

Ugh. Choosing paint colors is awful. I'm so over it.

I'd choose something that compliments both the color of the travertine and hardwood. Are you wanting one color throughout your house or different colors?

5 hours ago, Pen said:

And I don't like either dark green or gray! LOL.

I also prefer warmer colors, but I also think certain colors do better in certain areas. For instance, the love affair with all things gray. Florida houses near the beach with gray walls, gray counters, and gray backsplashes just look odd. And depressing.

+ 1 on the colors look different in different rooms. I have one color in my current home and each room looks different depending on the time of day and even the season.  I would suggest a color swatch on *each wall* in each room and view it on sunny days, cloudy days, at night with lights on, etc.

4 hours ago, Pen said:

Blue with travertine sounds good

Yes. I like your description in another post about which shade, too, especially for a home in the PNW.

Something that isn't drab but isn't bright. I also don't like bright colors in houses. Maybe 'muted' is the word I'm looking for.

Edited by Wildcat
a word