Menu

Next week, my name will change...

LisaKinVA

back to simply LisaKinVA -- my girls and I fly back on Tuesday.  My boys and husband will follow in less than 4 weeks.  My husband's original separation date was 8 June, but they couldn't figure out how to do my husband's orders and fund them until late Tuesday night.  While a Tuesday morning flight is pretty quick, they wanted to put me on a flight on FRIDAY (ummm, no.)  I have to figure out how to get from the airport to my folks house (my parents are living in NC, as my mom has been ill for over a year, and my dad was unable to care for her alone, and my brother is out of town).  

It's going to be a crazy four days (making things even more fun, we have a 6AM flight out).  My Italian life is nearly over.

• Like 13

48 minutes ago, unsinkable said:

Wow, Lisa! Welcome back! It must be a bittersweet feeling. 

Safe travels and I hope it all goes smoothly.

Well, I have four days to try to finish having everything ready for my husband and sons to finish up (stuff to ship to my parents, stuff in the express shipment, stuff we're trying to sell/get rid of (what get's kept and packed vs. given away/tossed), everything listed for sale, old school stuff to go through (and toss/keep -- kids are doing their own, no high school stuff gets tossed if they are still in high school).  It's a bit of crazy town at the moment.

12 minutes ago, Harriet Vane said:

What a whirlwind! How do you feel about your time in Italy? How do you feel about coming home?

We're glad we came.  We're ready to go.  Really nervous about this next chapter as we have no home, nothing in the works -- as we've been waiting for confirmation on a rental.  If I at least had an idea of what the plan was, it would be easier (there are people we know who live in Europe who have a vacant home in the area -- they've given us a price to rent, but there is nothing else, they don't want us to move in until they can check the place out, but their efforts to get their to "clean up" keep getting delayed....we're at over 2 months delay now).  We only get so much time in temporary housing, and houses are going FAST right now.  UGH.  So, we're making a decision one way or another on Sunday.  Come Sunday, I should know something.  My parents are not in the area, my brother is going to be out of town, so because they wouldn't get me the flight I requested, there is NO ONE to pick us up at the airport yet.  I've reached out to those I know in the area -- but it's a very busy time of year 

10 minutes ago, Liz CA said:

Welcome home / back (maybe Italy was feeling like home). I remember when you left for Italy...time flies.

We were content, but I wouldn't call it "home."  Missed my family.  Some things are just harder... here.  I will miss some things, and then there are things I can't wait to leave.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, scbusf said:

Are you flying into Norfolk, by chance? If so, I may be able to pick you up!!!! We have a couple of things going on that day, but if I can, I'd be happy to help.

We're flying into Dulles.  I'll be renting a van to drive us (and our baggage) home.  I'll drive back the following day and my brother will pick me up at the airport on his way back from work to get me home.  My husband (and sons) may be going into Norfolk in a month, though.

12 hours ago, sheryl said:

Where do your parents live in NC? 

They live in the Research Triangle with my brother.  They are hopeful that my mom will improve enough in the next 7 months to be home for Christmas... but that's a big "if" right now.

• Like 2

Trying to pack things into one 50# bag, and one carry-on is NOT going well, we're going to have to head to a store the day we get back, because we can't use the weight for any personal care items.  The guys will get two 70# bags and one carry on in 3 weeks (I'll be picking them up, though -- so they at least have a ride).  Third shipment is our express... and finally household goods.  

We still don't have an answer on our rental.  DH is calling the landlord tonight -- basically apologizing and saying we're sorry, but we *have* to know.  If the answer is no, I need to work double time on my interviews (which means driving back and forth from Fredericksburg 😞).  I need to figure out the job situation before we can finalize the house situation.  I have four interviews.  One is definitely an a.m.; I may be able to squeeze them into two days and only spend one night in a hotel -- so we'll have to see.  

Friday, I've been asked to interview in one place. Saturday afternoon, I'm supposed to be in No. VA.  I may see if I can just interview Thursday and Friday and then return to Fredericksburg, and drive to NoVA on Sat.  Lordy, this is complicated!

Wish me luck.  in 48 hours I'll be on a plane (still) with 4 hours to go).

• Like 2

OH, and the piano (that doesn't work) got claimed within 5 minutes of posting.  The bookcases?  I still have.  Well... two-three weeks to sell stuff still!  I have one huge bookcase of curriculum/books that we're either selling or giving away.  Everything else is packed.  School supplies still to sort (not taking anything that's mostly used home, we'll just give it away).  Still have to finish the school supplies and a few odds and ends.  I'm nearly ready to pass this sucker off to my husband.  100# of school trash is gone (5 years of work here, consolidated down into a few envelopes), tossed all of the high school work (except for some papers) from the oldest, kept all of the high school level work for the next two.  Tossed some decorations I'm not keeping.  Tossing all of the miscellaneous wrapping stuff (keeping the gift bags) tossing the old (very old) Christmas boxes, tossed my wreaths, donated 3 coolers to scouts, donated 1 griddle to scouts, sold the other one.  I still have to go room by room (NOT the boys' room) and move out anything that is being sold/donated or expressed or regular pack out.  Have to do my room and little girls.  

My husband is feeling better about the move.  We should be at least 2,000 pounds under what we brought here when everything is said and done.  Not too shabby.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LisaK in VA is in IT said:

Friday, I've been asked to interview in one place. Saturday afternoon, I'm supposed to be in No. VA.  I may see if I can just interview Thursday and Friday and then return to Fredericksburg, and drive to NoVA on Sat.  Lordy, this is complicated!

Wish me luck.  in 48 hours I'll be on a plane (still) with 4 hours to go).

You probably already know this, but set aside lots of extra time on the 95 corridor.  The stretch between PW County and Fredericksburg in particular has gotten worse in the last five years.   We qualified for the worst traffic hotspot in the US back in 2017 and they haven't added those new lanes yet! 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/trafficandcommuting/heres-the-worst-traffic-hot-spot-in-the-us-according-to-a-new-study/2017/09/26/16a8e00e-a2d0-11e7-8cfe-d5b912fabc99_story.html?utm_term=.f2eee3ffbaf5

Other than that, good luck and welcome back!

• Like 1