Menu

Who's going to tackle Thursday with me?

Good morning!

My boys had to be at work extra early this morning, so I was up at 4:45. Looks like it is going to be a beautiful day.

It's my birthday today - 50!!

Probably TMI, but I was telling dh that I hope 50 is the year that menopause finally hits, because I am soooo over the monthly trials and tribulations...and then guess what shows up this morning, right on schedule.:dry:Happy birthday to me!:laugh:

• figure out why the coffeemaker is acting up (had a moment of panic this morning when I thought there might not be coffee...)
  • school w/dd
  • office work - bills & finances
  • order fly spray & vitamins
  • vacuum basement
  • tidy up haysheds
  • go to post office, bank, get gas
  • pick up Winry's meds from vet
  • drop off manure sample to horse vet
  • get a few groceries
  • get wrapping paper and cards for dd and my dad - also need to get a graduation card
  • dinner: dh and kids tell me I am not allowed to cook tonight - not sure what the plan is!
Edited by Selkie
  • Like 6

Happy Birthday, Selkie!!! 

I got online this morning right away and secured a time slot for getting DS18's Learner's Permit/License/Whatever they decide to give him since he's already 18 -- 8:22! Already an hour & a half wait if we'd just shown up in person when they opened. Wow. Grateful for the "get in line, online" option!  (and it's only 5 mins from my house, so that helps). Poor DS is up, against his will 😉 He'll live. 

So, that's first up. (well, first, coffee....)

After that:
...call a prospective student/family for next year, per their request
...email the 1st grade families for next year, letting them know we met the minimum & I'm now cashing their supply fee checks
...put the binding & label on my sister's quilt, wash/dry it
...lunch at home with DH, then fencing with DS14
...make sure DS18 writes his last BritLit paper for me while we're gone
...home, shower, change, head to niece's high school graduation across town 
...dinner out before the graduation, once we get to that side of town ("town" being Houston, so "across town" being 1.5 hrs away.....IF we get out ahead of rush hour traffic.....)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Happy Birthday, Selkie!! 

Another busy day here.

Meeting at Starbucks.
Errands

Get gas
Braid dd's hair
Drop Dd at rehearsal. Last day of Tech Week!

More errands, with  Ds.
Dinner with my mom
Pick up Dd.
Think about food and plans for tomorrow.
Read to unwind. 

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Happy birthday, Selkie!!!  🎂 🎈 🎉  And welcome to the 50s club. LOL!

On the way home from church last night, I developed a fever and achiness, so I guess this is a cold instead of just allergy/sinus stuff. I slept well and longer last night and feel a bit better this morning. Still stuffy, though. 

• meals
  • school with ds
  • laundry
  • depending on how I feel, tackle more of the school records stuff
  • take ds to swim
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Happy Birthday, Selkie!!! 

Cold and wet here. School's out for everyone except ds3. But he is finishing up well, so soon we will be on summer break. I know there will be a pack of teens here tonight. Thank goodness for headphones!

• coffee/paper
  • check calendar/bills/online tasks
  • some weeding and garden checking when it stops raining
  • write
  • school with ds3
  • finish off the chore list
  • bathrooms 
  • food for kids tonight
  • ds3 to tennis
  • pick up ds3
  • dinner: carnitas- pork shoulder in the crockpot right now

Have a great day!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

home from DPS with newly permitted driver DS18. Since he's over 18, his learner's permit is valid for *six years*! I told him he did NOT get the full six years to prep for/take the driving test.....the DPS employee assured him yes, he had all the time he needed to feel ready. (this kid will happily take the full six years if we let him........) LOL! 

Ate some food. 

Sent a photo of a recipe to a friend currently out of town, from a cookbook we both own. (she doesn't have hers with her)

cancelled DS21's appt for tomorrow, since he's working at summer camp and I have no idea when he'll be in town

DH texted pics of fresh (live) eels, fish, crabs, mussels, clams, etc. from a local market he stopped in before a meeting. I told him we are NOT having any of those things for dinner today, thankyouverymuch. (he would, if allowed, choose the *weirdest* thing in the tanks, I just know it......) (as a back-up, it does so happen my newest cookbook actually has a recipe for eel, but let's not tell DH.......) I'm assuming a return trip to this market, at a time when we actually can buy to take home to cook, is likely in my near future. 

I have 30 mins till I have to make the phone call to the prospective student/family, so playing on the computer until then.....

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TheReader said:

DH texted pics of fresh (live) eels, fish, crabs, mussels, clams, etc. from a local market he stopped in before a meeting. I told him we are NOT having any of those things for dinner today, thankyouverymuch. (he would, if allowed, choose the *weirdest* thing in the tanks, I just know it......) (as a back-up, it does so happen my newest cookbook actually has a recipe for eel, but let's not tell DH.......) I'm assuming a return trip to this market, at a time when we actually can buy to take home to cook, is likely in my near future. 

Eels give me the shivers. Snakey looking creatures that swim?? I have nightmares about things like that. One of my kids likes to order the "Eel box" when we get sushi - gag! 

• Like 3

Happy Thursday!

The day started with the smoke alarms going off shortly after midnight as I was trying to switch out my laundry.  The detector between my girls' bedrooms went off and that somehow triggered the ones in each of their bedrooms.  I could not find the reason for the alarm, nor could I get it to stop, so I had to take the battery out so we could sleep.  Not sure how this is going to affect my kids' tests today ....

I am all wired up about the kids' school - they tell me tomorrow is the last academic day.  I still don't know how their grades are going to go in a lot of the classes.  Not to be a broken record, but teachers should update grades more often!  And yes I am stalker mom!  Grade stalker that is....  Neither of my kids was as focused as they should have been this year; I just want to know how much damage was done.

Done:

• Switch out laundry around midnight.
  • Deal with smoke alarm debacle.  Spent at least a half hour trying to find out why the sensor was unhappy.
  • Filled out school permission form.
  • Bed.
  • Kid 1 up at 6:20.
  • Kid 2 up at 6:45.
  • Me up at 7:45, late, but got the kids fed and off to the bus well enough.  Only 4 more school mornings!
  • Cleaned kitchen, bathrooms, and some clutter.
  • Made coffee, but forgot about it.
  • Snagged a nap.
  • Caught up on emails, news, social media.
  • Got a little work done.

To do:

• Lots of client work.
  • Yoga/exercise, reading.  Since I am home alone, I may try to play some piano???  Just a thought.
  • Hang / fold / put away the laundry I washed last night.
  • Personal filing, etc. ... bills ....
  • Make chiropractor and dentist appointments.
  • Kids have TKD tonight, but the driver will drive them.
  • Kids' work - I plan to make them review Spanish since they claim to not know if they have a final quiz or not.  Their Spanish teacher could use some coaching IMO.  Nobody ever knows what they are supposed to be doing to prep for her Friday-only classes.
  • Whatever else gets done.

• Like 7

Phew!  I am already tired out from my day!

human care is done

pet care is done.  Though I had to repeatedly warn off the dog who was trying to eat the cat's food while the cat was eating it.  The cat didn't budge but I was afraid that the dog was going to get a claw across the face.

I also totally disinfected the cat litter box and refilled it and cleaned the cat's bathroom.  (Why, yes, my cat does have his own bathroom all to  himself.  Why do you ask?)  This was a pretty big job.

morning exercises/ stretches have been done.

medical care done.  I'm glad that I refilled the pill boxes last night before bed.

• Like 6

Whew, hour long convo with the prospective student's mom; that went well, once my car is back from repairs next week, she & I will meet up, let her look at curriculum, etc, and decide on the best placement for her dd. Yay! 

Thirty minute call from my stepmom, wanting the news on all the various grandkids (mine and my sister's; my sister does not communicate, so....)

DH is home, lunch eaten, leaving in a minute for fencing. 

I did NOT get the binding done on my sister's quilt, so.....not good. Not sure if I'll have time between fencing and graduation, or not. Was expecting the phone call this morning to be a 10 min thing, not an hour long thing, so.....oops. I'll do what I can between fencing and leaving for the evening, and she'll deal with it. I can get it to her another time, I'm sure. 

As expected, DH would like to schedule a visit to the market he found.....yay. I will try to talk him out of eels (I'm not fond of them, either, Selkie, but knowing he'd likely pick that.....at least I do have a recipe should he insist.....). I've never tried the eel box when we have sushi....

If I manage the binding, I'll let y'all know. If I can get at least that, I can do a "written on back in wash-proof fabric pen" label and skip the washing of the quilt. We shall see. 

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Phew!  I am already tired out from my day!

human care is done

pet care is done.  Though I had to repeatedly warn off the dog who was trying to eat the cat's food while the cat was eating it.  The cat didn't budge but I was afraid that the dog was going to get a claw across the face.

I also totally disinfected the cat litter box and refilled it and cleaned the cat's bathroom.  (Why, yes, my cat does have his own bathroom all to  himself.  Why do you ask?)  This was a pretty big job.

morning exercises/ stretches have been done.

medical care done.  I'm glad that I refilled the pill boxes last night before bed.

oooh, I wish we had a bathroom we could dedicate just to the cat! ours have their litter box in the laundry room, which is not my ideal, but aside from the garage, there's no where else convenient. And we can't convince the old stubborn cat to use the one in the garage (we're trying....she is not a fan of the dog door). 

• Like 5

Happy Birthday,  Selkie!!  I hope you enjoy your day!  

Amy, I hope that you feel better soon - both of my kids have had similar in the past 10 days - it lasts about 48 hours.

I have been a complete loungeabout today.  I spent a few hours reading in bed while DS14 worked on his ancient lit paper, and then took him to the pool for about an hour.  Still to do today: 

-clean up the kitchen (it looks like a bomb has gone off in there)
-maybe go grocery shopping (really not feeling like it) nope DS18 went for me
-laundry
-finishing my book
-dinner (spaghetti and meatballs that I already made and froze a few weeks ago)

Edited by Pink and Green Mom
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

SKL - aren't your girls in 7th grade?  Grades don't really count for anything transcript wise until high school.  (Or for a high school class like algebra taken in 8th grade.)

Yes, 7th grade.  I know I should not be concerned about the grades.  But they announce to everyone who got 4.0, honor roll, and merit roll.  (My kids are usually honor roll and have never been below merit roll, but that may change ....)  Also, one of my kids' summer activity rides on her GPA.

• Like 4

I finished the laundry and got a few more work things out.

Walked around the house for exercise and found some things that needed cleaned up, so I did that.

Just noticed that apparently some neighborhood kids have been spray painting what look like gang symbols on our outbuildings.  Guess I need to inform the cops.  😕

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

I felt discombobulated all day - not enough sleep last night!

Cleaned the haysheds, gave the basement a thorough vacuuming, and did some laundry.

I was inspired by Jean and tidied up around the litterboxes. I need to empty them and give them a good cleaning, but that will have to wait for another day.

Placed a few orders.

I got lazy and did not run any errands.

The boys were over in the vicinity of my favorite Thai restaurant for work, so they stopped and picked up takeout for dinner.

I have to get to bed at a decent hour and not stay up half the night reading...early morning visit from the horse vet tomorrow!

• Like 4

Well I am glad I thought to ask my kids about the "gang" graffiti on my outbuildings [before calling the cops].  Turns out one of my kids did it - it is apparently a symbol she created from her initials, LOL.  The outbuildings are in disrepair and one is about to be demolished, so I don't really care, but I did not realize I needed to tell my kid not to do that.  I guess moms can't take anything for granted.

I believe this is the last night of school homework until September, so yay!  One kid is still up making herself beautiful in the bathroom.  I hope she finishes soon kuz I want to go to bed!  I have a headache and it's traveling down my neck and back.

• Like 3

I got the binding on the quilt!!! Labeled it in the car, gave it to my sister, who LOVES it (it's only been 2 years, I thought it was longer than that), the graduation was nice, and I am DONE. 

G'night, everyone....

SKL, sorry 'bout the headache; those are the pits. 

• Like 2