Menu

vision therapy options

DS10 had a developmental vision exam done in November.  The dr. said he had issues with tracking and something else (forgot what) and gave him a couple exercises to do at home.  I asked her about follow-up and she said that when they seemed easy for him he was done and didn't need follow-up.  Ok then... 

The exercises weren't difficult for him from the beginning so I think we need to move on to someone else.  We got the game Q-bitz the other day and he thought it was great and played it for about 20 minutes and then complained that his head really hurt and said he was never going to play that again.  Clearly he still has some vision issues.  There is no one else in our city who does vision therapy.  I found one doctor 90 miles away who offers it.  It's basically an at-home program with follow-up every 3 months.  I also found one doctor 3 hours away who offers it.  Her program sounds much more like what I've seen others here describe, but it would definitely be a last resort because of the time and money investment.  I was told that she normally recommends 30-36 visits, one visit a week or every other week, at $120/visit.  That is crazy expensive and a 6 hr round trip with 6 kids is not very do-able either, certainly not a couple times a month.

Is it worth trying out the doctor who lives 90 miles away?  Are there any books out there with lots of exercises to do at home?  He made a good bit of progress with tracking exercises his O.T. prescribed so maybe we could just do this at home?

Follow-up every 3 months??? Does the 3 hour away doctor give homework or do it all in-office? Clearly it's not workable to do it all in-office. Some docs literally do it all in-office. *Most* do in-office and homework. So if the 3 hour doctor does that mix, then you could go every 3-4 weeks and have her give you a ton of homework. That could work. He sounds like he's having convergence issues or something physical that is giving him homework. It's a shame you can't find someone closer. Sometimes there are docs not with COVD who do VT. You could keep trying. 

When they're saying it's in-home, are they using software or a notebook or??? What we did had flippers, tools, and it was hard work, sigh. I guess keep asking questions.

I would definitely try the closer option and see how it goes. Ask if they have phone support if you have questions about how long you need to do the various exercises. Also, if you know the names of the exercises or why they are being done, you might be able to find youtube therapy videos so that you have something to compare them too for troubleshooting purposes.

I agree that the issue sounds like something physical like convergence vs. a visual processing issue. Convergence is really, really responsive to VT. My son is SO GLAD he did it.

• Like 1

Here is a book with a bunch of exercises in several different categories.  If you know the exact problem it is easier, but anything that is not a problem will be easy, you could try the hardest of each type and then go back and do all of any area that's a problem.

https://www.amazon.com/Developing-Ocular-Visual-Perceptual-Skills/dp/1556425953/ref=pd_sim_14_3/130-9202728-5502008?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=1556425953&pd_rd_r=03b20902-83d6-11e9-bbb8-afc81129452f&pd_rd_w=DE1AV&pd_rd_wg=Hvvv7&pf_rd_p=90485860-83e9-4fd9-b838-b28a9b7fda30&pf_rd_r=M8VWQCPQAKEF34W3CAJJ&psc=1&refRID=M8VWQCPQAKEF34W3CAJJ