Menu

That's it! I am never going to the movie theater again!

Home'scool

7 hours ago, Tanaqui said:

Have one person coordinate, and everybody gives their cash to that person.

We don't like that because if someone decides not to come, that person gets stiffed/has to track the person down to get paid regardless. It makes much more sense for everyone to buy their own tickets. bUt then we have the problem of sitting together. 

• Like 1

On 5/22/2019 at 4:42 PM, Seasider too said:

A few minutes later, people for those seats arrived and we moved. And again with the next place we sat. 

Yep. If people have reserved seating, they have no reason to show up early, so the number of people there when you enter isn't very relevant. I know some crazy people who don't like watching previews and will show up right before the actual movie begins (which is generally later than the stated time, bc the stated time is when previews begin!). 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, vonfirmath said:

We don't like that because if someone decides not to come, that person gets stiffed/has to track the person down to get paid regardless. It makes much more sense for everyone to buy their own tickets. bUt then we have the problem of sitting together. 

Obviously you collect the money in advance.

You choose a non-prime row (nearer the back of the theater than the center) for a movie that has been out a while. Tell everyone "get tickets in Row B! I got B6!" (Review availability of seats online before inviting people.) 

Edited by theelfqueen
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, vonfirmath said:

Not practical when we get together once a month and may decide to go see a movie on a couple days notice.

Then you tell everybody to fend for themselves, but YOU are getting seat 8A (or whatever).

(With a large group, I prefer not to get a whole row, though. I prefer to get a block of seats in the same section of three consecutive rows. It's easier to chat before the movies that way.)

• Like 1

On 5/22/2019 at 5:37 PM, Danae said:

You don't have to reserve seats in multiples of two, but the big reclining seats are designed as pairs. Each pair of seats has a small armrest in the middle that you can flip up if you want to snuggle with the person next to you and wide armrests with drink holders on the outsides.

Thank you for explaining this. I really wasn't getting what people were referring to!  I've never noticed this as we keep the armrests down even with family.

We LOVE the new theater seating and reservation system so much that we go to the movies a lot more than we used to!  Not only are the seats wide and reclining, they also have a lot more space to walk between rows, no more stepping over/on people!  Our seats also have built in heaters which one DD and I enjoy as we always get too cold during movies. We even bring a light blanket to toss over us as well. The only downside is that I've been known to drift off in the middle of a movie.  🙂

• Like 1

On 5/26/2019 at 8:35 AM, Pegasus said:

Thank you for explaining this. I really wasn't getting what people were referring to!  I've never noticed this as we keep the armrests down even with family.

We LOVE the new theater seating and reservation system so much that we go to the movies a lot more than we used to!  Not only are the seats wide and reclining, they also have a lot more space to walk between rows, no more stepping over/on people!  Our seats also have built in heaters which one DD and I enjoy as we always get too cold during movies. We even bring a light blanket to toss over us as well. The only downside is that I've been known to drift off in the middle of a movie.  🙂

heated seats in the movie theater?     I can't imagine!   Although, maybe I've had that and didn't see the button.  Yes, it is always too cold. 

I've gotten used to it for us after initially not really liking it. I haven't figured out a good way to do it for meeting someone. Especially for my kids, who like to meet a friend or two at the movies. If it's going to be relatively empty, I send them earlyish and get the seats together. But if it's an opening, it's just annoying to have to pay for someone else or trust that someone else got the tickets. If it was my friends, it would be fine. But this is teenagers... I don't trust them to pony up the money if my kids cover them initially. And they shouldn't trust my kids either. They're very well intentioned, but they're not great with having cash on hand and so forth.

1 hour ago, heartlikealion said:

I have no idea how any of that works. Fandango has fees. How would you avoid them? 

We mostly go to a chain called "Malco" and there aren't any rewards for their theater. It's less convenient to go to the Regal theater and I don't think we have an AMC. I can't buy tickets at Sam's Club and heck, their discount is very slim, anyway. We don't have a Costco, either. Occasionally I have bought discounted tickets online through giftcards.com or one of those sites. But that was before our nearest Regal theater shut down. I have done grocery deals for Fandango points, too. (Buy these ziploc bags, get a discount on Fandango). On an average day, though, I would not have a way to avoid convenience fees or cut costs other than picking discount Tuesday to go. 

My theater chain rewards program works WITH the Fandango app.  If I book movie tickets through Fandango, I also use my theater rewards- and the theater rewards eliminates the convenience fee.   I try to always book movies through Fandango because then I get rewards points for both programs. 

According to the Fandango website, Malco is listed as being one of their partners.  But I suppose that probably means you can buy tickets with Fandango FOR their locations- not necessarily that there are discounts available.   I might pester the theatre a little bit and see if they have any plans for a rewards programs.  Most theaters have them now, I think. 

PARTNERS

Fandango's founding partners include the nation's leading exhibitors: AMC Theatres, Carmike Cinemas, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, Edwards Theatres, Regal Cinemas, Regal Entertainment Group and United Artists Theatres, as well as American Cinematheque, Bartlett Cinemas, Brenden Theatres, CineArts Theatres, Cinebarre, Cinebistro, Cinelux Theatres, City Base Cinemas, Cityplex, Cinemas Palme d'or, Cinetopia, Cobb Theatres, Flagship Theaters, Frank Theatres, Georgia Theater Company, Goodrich Quality Theatres, Harkins Theatres, Kerasotes Theatres, King Theatre Circuit, Krikorian Premiere Theatres, Malco Theatres, Memphis, Muvico, NCG Cinemas, Pacific Theatres, Paragon, Penn Cinemas, Prado, Premiere Theatres, Reading Cinemas, R/C Theatres, Rave, Regency, Southern, Starlight Cinemas, Studio Movie Grill, Tristone, and Wehrenberg Theatres.

• Like 1