Menu

What's with the ads?

Home'scool

That's it! I am never going to the movie theater again!

Not trying to "rain on your JAWM rant" (LOL!), but I'm scratching my head over why you didn't just move to a seat several rows away, instead of staying in a row of people and feeling uncomfortable for the duration of the film, esp. once the film started and no one else was coming in and claiming seats....??? 

It was a case where at first I moved down three seats, then a few seats more, then was up against a wall. The only way out was back down the row over 7 people, but I did move haha. It was just so silly being squished in a row when the rest of the theater was empty.

• Haha 1

I'm a little surprised by people paying online convenience fees for tickets.

Our theatre chain has a rewards program that eliminates the convenience fee.  And then all my ticket and food purchases add up and every $100 I spend I get a $5 reward added to my account.  

On top of that, I also have the Fandango app- which works at multiple chains if we're traveling and want to see a movie.   I can stack the Fandango with my local rewards and double dip on my rewards.  We see a lot of movies discounted or free by utilizing rewards with both systems.  And, I never pay that convenience fee for my tickets.  Both rewards programs are completely free, and I just have to deal with the occasional e-mail telling me what's playing.  Even for the very occasional movie viewer, the rewards programs are worth it. 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Indigo Blue said:

Home'scool, I still like your idea of saving for a huge TV and watching movies at home.  🙂

(Side note: My dh is a channel-surfer which drives me batty, so sometimes I lie in bed and watch TV with my TINY iPhone screen. Since I'm so nearsighted, I can hold it right up to my face and see just fine). 

Your post gave me a nasty flashback to an ex-boyfriend now known as Mistake.   That is my IRL name for him, not just an online thing.   He loved to channel-surf.   I used to do cross-stitch with teeny-tiny squares, so I had something to focus on.  One time he fell asleep AND CONTINUED TO CHANNEL SURF.   I had DirectTV and he surfed through every last channel before I noticed that anything was wrong.  His finger twitched at his normal speed.   I had almost dumped him over this next thing.   I would record Law and Order and instead I would get a recording of him channel surfing through the intro death scene. 

I like the recliner chairs.  Although I bring in a travel pillow which helps a lot.  One thing I like about the recliner chairs is that since people are spaced more apart, that it doesn't matter so much who is next to you.  Although, we only go 2-3 times a year. 

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, Joker said:

We don't print tickets at all. We bypass those waiting for tickets and go straight to the ticket collector and they just scan our phone. 

Our theater is so small, we don't even have a ticket collector. You just buy your tickets at the outside window, then go in and sit down.

SOmetimes I like reserved seats, sometimes I don't. When we are going to a movie with our book club, it makes it harder to get seats together :(

2 minutes ago, vonfirmath said:

SOmetimes I like reserved seats, sometimes I don't. When we are going to a movie with our book club, it makes it harder to get seats together 😞

I was just thinking about that.  If several people are going to a movie together and want to each pay their own way is there any way to positively sit together? 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, happi duck said:

I was just thinking about that.  If several people are going to a movie together and want to each pay their own way is there any way to positively sit together? 

When we’ve done that we just text each other the seats we’ve picked and they buy beside us. Usually we’re buying them at the same time but from our homes, not together.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, happi duck said:

Have one person coordinate, and everybody gives their cash to that person.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tanaqui said:

That's what some people I know do already.  I was just wondering if there's a way when people want to buy their own.  (For loyalty points or whatever)

7 hours ago, Tanaqui said:

We don't like that because if someone decides not to come, that person gets stiffed/has to track the person down to get paid regardless. It makes much more sense for everyone to buy their own tickets. bUt then we have the problem of sitting together. 

• Like 1

On 5/22/2019 at 4:42 PM, Seasider too said:

A few minutes later, people for those seats arrived and we moved. And again with the next place we sat. 

Yep. If people have reserved seating, they have no reason to show up early, so the number of people there when you enter isn't very relevant. I know some crazy people who don't like watching previews and will show up right before the actual movie begins (which is generally later than the stated time, bc the stated time is when previews begin!). 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, vonfirmath said:

We don't like that because if someone decides not to come, that person gets stiffed/has to track the person down to get paid regardless. It makes much more sense for everyone to buy their own tickets. bUt then we have the problem of sitting together. 

Obviously you collect the money in advance.

When we go in a group we will all just get on the website at the same time and message each other it works well. Otherwise we CASH or Paypal the person buying the tickets.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tanaqui said:

Obviously you collect the money in advance.

Not practical when we get together once a month and may decide to go see a movie on a couple days notice.

You choose a non-prime row (nearer the back of the theater than the center) for a movie that has been out a while. Tell everyone "get tickets in Row B! I got B6!" (Review availability of seats online before inviting people.) 

Edited by theelfqueen
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, vonfirmath said:

Not practical when we get together once a month and may decide to go see a movie on a couple days notice.

Then you tell everybody to fend for themselves, but YOU are getting seat 8A (or whatever).

(With a large group, I prefer not to get a whole row, though. I prefer to get a block of seats in the same section of three consecutive rows. It's easier to chat before the movies that way.)

• Like 1

On 5/22/2019 at 5:37 PM, Danae said:

You don't have to reserve seats in multiples of two, but the big reclining seats are designed as pairs. Each pair of seats has a small armrest in the middle that you can flip up if you want to snuggle with the person next to you and wide armrests with drink holders on the outsides.

Thank you for explaining this. I really wasn't getting what people were referring to!  I've never noticed this as we keep the armrests down even with family.

We LOVE the new theater seating and reservation system so much that we go to the movies a lot more than we used to!  Not only are the seats wide and reclining, they also have a lot more space to walk between rows, no more stepping over/on people!  Our seats also have built in heaters which one DD and I enjoy as we always get too cold during movies. We even bring a light blanket to toss over us as well. The only downside is that I've been known to drift off in the middle of a movie.  🙂

• Like 1

On 5/26/2019 at 8:35 AM, Pegasus said:

Thank you for explaining this. I really wasn't getting what people were referring to!  I've never noticed this as we keep the armrests down even with family.

We LOVE the new theater seating and reservation system so much that we go to the movies a lot more than we used to!  Not only are the seats wide and reclining, they also have a lot more space to walk between rows, no more stepping over/on people!  Our seats also have built in heaters which one DD and I enjoy as we always get too cold during movies. We even bring a light blanket to toss over us as well. The only downside is that I've been known to drift off in the middle of a movie.  🙂

heated seats in the movie theater?     I can't imagine!   Although, maybe I've had that and didn't see the button.  Yes, it is always too cold. 

So the theater is doing both assigned seats and gen admission?  How does that work? 

• Like 1

I've gotten used to it for us after initially not really liking it. I haven't figured out a good way to do it for meeting someone. Especially for my kids, who like to meet a friend or two at the movies. If it's going to be relatively empty, I send them earlyish and get the seats together. But if it's an opening, it's just annoying to have to pay for someone else or trust that someone else got the tickets. If it was my friends, it would be fine. But this is teenagers... I don't trust them to pony up the money if my kids cover them initially. And they shouldn't trust my kids either. They're very well intentioned, but they're not great with having cash on hand and so forth.

On 5/23/2019 at 11:09 AM, Lady Marmalade said:

I'm a little surprised by people paying online convenience fees for tickets.

Our theatre chain has a rewards program that eliminates the convenience fee.  And then all my ticket and food purchases add up and every $100 I spend I get a $5 reward added to my account.  

On top of that, I also have the Fandango app- which works at multiple chains if we're traveling and want to see a movie.   I can stack the Fandango with my local rewards and double dip on my rewards.  We see a lot of movies discounted or free by utilizing rewards with both systems.  And, I never pay that convenience fee for my tickets.  Both rewards programs are completely free, and I just have to deal with the occasional e-mail telling me what's playing.  Even for the very occasional movie viewer, the rewards programs are worth it. 

I have no idea how any of that works. Fandango has fees. How would you avoid them? 

We mostly go to a chain called "Malco" and there aren't any rewards for their theater. It's less convenient to go to the Regal theater and I don't think we have an AMC. I can't buy tickets at Sam's Club and heck, their discount is very slim, anyway. We don't have a Costco, either. Occasionally I have bought discounted tickets online through giftcards.com or one of those sites. But that was before our nearest Regal theater shut down. I have done grocery deals for Fandango points, too. (Buy these ziploc bags, get a discount on Fandango). On an average day, though, I would not have a way to avoid convenience fees or cut costs other than picking discount Tuesday to go. 

1 hour ago, heartlikealion said:

I have no idea how any of that works. Fandango has fees. How would you avoid them? 

We mostly go to a chain called "Malco" and there aren't any rewards for their theater. It's less convenient to go to the Regal theater and I don't think we have an AMC. I can't buy tickets at Sam's Club and heck, their discount is very slim, anyway. We don't have a Costco, either. Occasionally I have bought discounted tickets online through giftcards.com or one of those sites. But that was before our nearest Regal theater shut down. I have done grocery deals for Fandango points, too. (Buy these ziploc bags, get a discount on Fandango). On an average day, though, I would not have a way to avoid convenience fees or cut costs other than picking discount Tuesday to go. 

My theater chain rewards program works WITH the Fandango app.  If I book movie tickets through Fandango, I also use my theater rewards- and the theater rewards eliminates the convenience fee.   I try to always book movies through Fandango because then I get rewards points for both programs. 

According to the Fandango website, Malco is listed as being one of their partners.  But I suppose that probably means you can buy tickets with Fandango FOR their locations- not necessarily that there are discounts available.   I might pester the theatre a little bit and see if they have any plans for a rewards programs.  Most theaters have them now, I think. 

PARTNERS

Fandango's founding partners include the nation's leading exhibitors: AMC Theatres, Carmike Cinemas, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, Edwards Theatres, Regal Cinemas, Regal Entertainment Group and United Artists Theatres, as well as American Cinematheque, Bartlett Cinemas, Brenden Theatres, CineArts Theatres, Cinebarre, Cinebistro, Cinelux Theatres, City Base Cinemas, Cityplex, Cinemas Palme d'or, Cinetopia, Cobb Theatres, Flagship Theaters, Frank Theatres, Georgia Theater Company, Goodrich Quality Theatres, Harkins Theatres, Kerasotes Theatres, King Theatre Circuit, Krikorian Premiere Theatres, Malco Theatres, Memphis, Muvico, NCG Cinemas, Pacific Theatres, Paragon, Penn Cinemas, Prado, Premiere Theatres, Reading Cinemas, R/C Theatres, Rave, Regency, Southern, Starlight Cinemas, Studio Movie Grill, Tristone, and Wehrenberg Theatres.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lady Marmalade said:

My theater chain rewards program works WITH the Fandango app.  If I book movie tickets through Fandango, I also use my theater rewards- and the theater rewards eliminates the convenience fee.   I try to always book movies through Fandango because then I get rewards points for both programs. 

According to the Fandango website, Malco is listed as being one of their partners.  But I suppose that probably means you can buy tickets with Fandango FOR their locations- not necessarily that there are discounts available.   I might pester the theatre a little bit and see if they have any plans for a rewards programs.  Most theaters have them now, I think. 

PARTNERS

Fandango's founding partners include the nation's leading exhibitors: AMC Theatres, Carmike Cinemas, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, Edwards Theatres, Regal Cinemas, Regal Entertainment Group and United Artists Theatres, as well as American Cinematheque, Bartlett Cinemas, Brenden Theatres, CineArts Theatres, Cinebarre, Cinebistro, Cinelux Theatres, City Base Cinemas, Cityplex, Cinemas Palme d'or, Cinetopia, Cobb Theatres, Flagship Theaters, Frank Theatres, Georgia Theater Company, Goodrich Quality Theatres, Harkins Theatres, Kerasotes Theatres, King Theatre Circuit, Krikorian Premiere Theatres, Malco Theatres, Memphis, Muvico, NCG Cinemas, Pacific Theatres, Paragon, Penn Cinemas, Prado, Premiere Theatres, Reading Cinemas, R/C Theatres, Rave, Regency, Southern, Starlight Cinemas, Studio Movie Grill, Tristone, and Wehrenberg Theatres.

So maybe you get a promo code to enter? That promo code can be entered on either app? Or maybe there’s some other method and I have no idea what I’m talking about. 

Yes, I can order tickets through fandango and enter a promo code if I have one from ziploc or Quaker oats etc but no codes from my actual theater. I’ve asked them before if they have a rewards program and they said no, just the discount Tuesday. 

I will bring it up again but I don’t think they have any intention of creating a program. That’s probably something you have to address at a higher level. Overall we have been very happy with the theater though. There are no assigned seats. They are in a shopping center close to places we go. They have $2 summer movies (the older ones) starting this week. 

I have the regal app but seldom use it. When I visit family I go to other theaters. One is Edwards so the regal rewards probably work there but I always forget. The other is LUX. 

• Like 1